Phase 4 33 or VTM 34

Willdorf

FNG
Going to be buying a new bow this year and I was wondering if anyone has any insight how the new flagships stack up to each other? I will be shooting both but I am just wondering in general if you guys are seeing anything that sets one bow apart from the other or feel like makes one better over the other?

xcutter

WKR
There are a lot of good bows out for 2023. I would recommend going and shooting all of them. I'm always kind of partial to Hoyt though myself. Love my RX7 Ultra.

Just bought my first bow in 8 years, went to shop a shop and shot 4 of the biggest brands. They all shot way better then what I am shooting now. and very similar to each other. I believe you would be hard pressed to say one is way better then another. In the end I stuck with the brand I had since I was familiar with them.

Probably find the best shop in the area, then get something from them.

A bow needs to be tuned to you, unless you can do that, or have someone you really trust who can do it, you need the help of a shop. The best bows will be worse for you than any mediocre bow that is properly setup and tuned to you.

TheTone

WKR
I was in my local shop today and shot the phase 4 29 and watched another guy shooting the vtm 31. The phase 4 was crazy quiet, enough that you were hearing more sound from the release than the bow it seemed. That said it was equipped with a stabilizer and a back bar while the hoyt was bare. I shot the vtm 34 last week and really liked it. I shot a few really good groups with it with no sight, just really consistent. That all said I bought a v3x33 due mainly to how much it was being discounted. Had the vtm been the same price it would have been a tough choice. I really like the hoyt grip and the hoyt quivers are nice. I did think the camo dip on the hoyt was pretty crummy as it had a lot of areas that seemed almost blank or at least weird looking in the cut outs, purely cosmetic though and that doesn’t matter to everyone

I was in my local shop today and shot the phase 4 29 and watched another guy shooting the vtm 31. The phase 4 was crazy quiet, enough that you were hearing more sound from the release than the bow it seemed. That said it was equipped with a stabilizer and a back bar while the hoyt was bare. I shot the vtm 34 last week and really liked it. I shot a few really good groups with it with no sight, just really consistent. That all said I bought a v3x33 due mainly to how much it was being discounted. Had the vtm been the same price it would have been a tough choice. I really like the hoyt grip and the hoyt quivers are nice. I did think the camo dip on the hoyt was pretty crummy as it had a lot of areas that seemed almost blank or at least weird looking in the cut outs, purely cosmetic though and that doesn’t matter to everyone

A few options out there to turn the Mathews grip into a Hoyt. Mainly the Ultraview, but there's others out there.

Falro

FNG
Just bought the phase 4 myself in the 29.
I like the draw cycle better on the phase 4 and it was crazy quieter than the VTM and it’s a little cheaper. Both are great bows and I think it’s like asking if Ford or Chevy is the best. You’ll never have everyone agree and a lot is personal preference. Both bows have different feels to them, shoot them both and buy the one that feels natural to you. I know it sounds cliché but it’s very true.

OP
W

Willdorf

FNG
Just bought the phase 4 myself in the 29.
I like the draw cycle better on the phase 4 and it was crazy quieter than the VTM and it’s a little cheaper. Both are great bows and I think it’s like asking if Ford or Chevy is the best. You’ll never have everyone agree and a lot is personal preference. Both bows have different feels to them, shoot them both and buy the one that feels natural to you. I know it sounds cliché but it’s very true.
I am leaning towards the phase 4 because I shoot a Mathews creed now. And the place I am going has a package deal for it that includes everything (both stabs, quiver, limb legs, and rest) for 1,999. Only problem is I want the hamskea rest but the QAD it comes with

Falro

FNG
I am leaning towards the phase 4 because I shoot a Mathews creed now. And the place I am going has a package deal for it that includes everything (both stabs, quiver, limb legs, and rest) for 1,999. Only problem is I want the hamskea rest but the QAD it comes with
Sounds like a good deal! I shoot the QAD and love it and it’s a popular rest so I’m sure you could buy it and sell it for close to retail and use that towards a hamskea. Those limb legs are so nice! Idk why I didn’t buy some earlier

My opinion would be that the Phase 4 wins this year. I'll probably be looking for a 2nd hand phase 4 in about 2 years and get some 50# limbs on it for casual target practice

OP
W

Willdorf

FNG
My opinion would be that the Phase 4 wins this year. I'll probably be looking for a 2nd hand phase 4 in about 2 years and get some 50# limbs on it for casual target practice
I like the ability to swap mods easily on the newer Mathews bows. I would like to use 75 pound mods to get a little more speed out of my heavy arrows

I just bought the Phase 4, 33inch. Shot the VTM and was good, but not as smooth and quiet as the Mathews. To be fair the pull weight was 70 on the vtm and longer draw vs phase 4 at 65 lbs, but still. The draw cycle of the phase 4 was awesome, smooth and pulled easy for the weight. Went there to look at vx33 on sale but jst rolled with the phase 4, never shot the vx33, lol.

Zac

WKR
Depends on where your draw length falls. If your stuck in the middle or towards the front of the Hoyt mod, then I would go with Mathews. They are both binary cams so really not much difference. Nitpicky stuff with Mathews such as the grip, but nothing that can't be remedied.

OP
W

Willdorf

FNG
Next question I have is about stabilizers. I have never shot with a back bar. Does it make that much of a difference in how well you can shoot? Or is it something that is over hyped?

OP
W

Willdorf

FNG
Depends on where your draw length falls. If you’re stuck in the middle or towards the front of the Hoyt mod, then I would go with Mathews. They are both binary cams so really not much difference. Nitpicky stuff with Mathews such as the grip, but nothing that can't be remedied.
I’m a 29 inch DL

Falro

FNG
Next question I have is about stabilizers. I have never shot with a back bar. Does it make that much of a difference in how well you can shoot? Or is it something that is over hyped?
I shoot without any stabilizers at all and can out shoot most of my buddies out to 90 yards. For a hunting bow I don’t get enough out of a stabilizer to want to make me pack around more weight. That being said obviously there is some benefit, just not enough for me to want to deal with it. From my experience I don’t even see any improvement really till I get out to 60+ yards and even then it’s not crazy. I feel like it’s a personal preference thing as far as hunting goes. If you are going to run a front and back bar I would recommend doing it right and going with at least 10+ inch or more on the front and at least an 8 on the back. The shorter stabilizers are basically just adding weight to your bow without getting that much benefit.

OP
W

Willdorf

FNG
I shoot without any stabilizers at all and can out shoot most of my buddies out to 90 yards. For a hunting bow I don’t get enough out of a stabilizer to want to make me pack around more weight. That being said obviously there is some benefit, just not enough for me to want to deal with it. From my experience I don’t even see any improvement really till I get out to 60+ yards and even then it’s not crazy. I feel like it’s a personal preference thing as far as hunting goes. If you are going to run a front and back bar I would recommend doing it right and going with at least 10+ inch or more on the front and at least an 8 on the back. The shorter stabilizers are basically just adding weight to your bow without getting that much benefit.
Yeah I have only ever used a front stabilizer and have just been seeing so many guys using back bars that I wondered if it was some huge improvements or something. I do like the idea of not spending an additional 500 bucks on a bow for the bracket and rear bar lol

TheTone

WKR
Depends on where your draw length falls. If your stuck in the middle or towards the front of the Hoyt mod, then I would go with Mathews. They are both binary cams so really not much difference. Nitpicky stuff with Mathews such as the grip, but nothing that can't be remedied.
I see the Mathews grip mentioned a bunch as a negative. What is it that people don’t like?