Pennsylvania Bear Tactics

CJ_BG

FNG
Not new to hunting but bears never caught my attention. An uncle of mine in PA shot one years ago that I saw the rug of all the time when I was younger. I was thinking about it a while ago and realized it would be neat go go back up there and try to get a bear, but I have no idea what I'm doing or looking for when it comes to PA bear hunting. I know most people do drives, or at least that's what I remember, and I'm wondering if there's any half decent way to hunt them solo.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I spent several years hunting in southern Potter County on a 1,700 acre lease. We had a fair number of members and usually 12 or more showed up for bear. We'd hunt the first few hours of each day on our own and then meet up around 10 am to organize a few drives, taking turns on stand. It was rough. We hunted a large, varied area that was fairly flat mountain tops and then very deep hollows, several hundred feet in elevation difference. The tops had huge areas that were timbered in the past and the regeneration was so think that you couldn't fall over in it. We had to implement a 'no rifle' policy if you were a driver in that stuff after we had an accidental discharge.

Solo hunting bear can be rough. I actually have seen more bear while solo hunting on stand for deer than I have from drives... or in bear season itself. If you hunt solo and are lucky to take one... how are you going to get that thing out of there? Especially if it is up hill both ways? Not saying do not do it, but a smart bear hunter is going to have help nearby. I am still waiting to take my first PA bear but have not hunted in a couple years even though I always buy a tag, including this year.

OP
C

CJ_BG

FNG
I spent several years hunting in southern Potter County on a 1,700 acre lease. We had a fair number of members and usually 12 or more showed up for bear. We'd hunt the first few hours of each day on our own and then meet up around 10 am to organize a few drives, taking turns on stand. It was rough. We hunted a large, varied area that was fairly flat mountain tops and then very deep hollows, several hundred feet in elevation difference. The tops had huge areas that were timbered in the past and the regeneration was so think that you couldn't fall over in it. We had to implement a 'no rifle' policy if you were a driver in that stuff after we had an accidental discharge.

Solo hunting bear can be rough. I actually have seen more bear while solo hunting on stand for deer than I have from drives... or in bear season itself. If you hunt solo and are lucky to take one... how are you going to get that thing out of there? Especially if it is up hill both ways? Not saying do not do it, but a smart bear hunter is going to have help nearby. I am still waiting to take my first PA bear but have not hunted in a couple years even though I always buy a tag, including this year.
I have family in the area if needed but I was going to just pack it out if I'm able to. From what I'm reading all you need to bring to the check stations is the head and hide with tag still attached.

Were the bears you saw deer hunting in and around food or were they in thick cover? I've heard people hunting them in both but with how big bears can be and with them going into winter I would think you'd find them more around food.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Most times they were moving thru more recent clear-cut areas which were not to over grown. We'd see them on cameras at deer feeders over winter a well. Mostly in the cuts and moving between stupid thick stuff to the next thick stuff. There are a number of guys up there that set up on one ridge and watch the cuts and shoot several hundred yards across the valleys.

Go when and where there is snow. Take a few bottles of water and $50 bill for a ride back to your truck at the end of the day. Get on that track and don’t stop until the bear is dead.