Pelican air 1745 vs kuiu hard case

wysongdog

WKR
Has anyone had their hands on these cases side by side? Wife is getting me one of them for Father’s Day for my upcoming Africa trip. Thanks

JK47

FNG
I haven’t had my hands on the Kuiu, but I own a Pelican 1745.

I bought it since I have another Air case and love it as well. As for the bow case, I don’t have anything bad to say about it. When it arrived at the house, I unboxed it and started doing jumping jacks on it. You know….to test and see if it really is crush proof. Haha. It didn’t budge.

I was a little skeptical of the bungee/Molle retention system, but when you tighten it down, the bow doesn’t move at all. Then it has the padded flap that straps down also. Pelican did a good job and really thought out the storage stuff. Arrow tube holder, arrow slots and pockets and bags. It’s nice.

Edit: The Kuiu is made by SKB….speaking of SKB…..

SKB has a pretty nice case as well. I laid hands on it at the pro shop. Seemed pretty stout. Check those out if you haven’t.

OP
W

wysongdog

WKR
Yeah I just saw that the kuiu is built my skb and they build bad a$$ cases

JK47

FNG
For sure. I wouldn’t hesitate to throw down on the SKB.

I don’t think you could go wrong with the Pelican or SKB, but the Kuiu looks like it’s lacking the storage options from looking at the pictures.

OP
W

wysongdog

WKR
Yeah the skb has arrow holder in the bottom. I don’t see that in the kuiu. And that’s fairly handy

entropy

FNG
I haven't seen one in person, but I really like the idea of the Terraglide:

I've had a Pelican for several years now, and it does the job.

I have both the Pelican 1745 and the SKB. The 1745 has more room if you are packing clothing and other gear. Its also just more case. As far as protection, flip a coin. They are both burly cases that can take what you throw at them. Id go with the 1745 if I just kept 1, but its close. The lid organization and the way I strap my arrow tube just works a bit better. I fill the other voids with clothing and gear to further protect the bow.

KBC

WKR
I haven’t seen the Kuiu but I have the pelican. I’ve flown with it and everything was fine. Lots of storage and well made, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it again.

MattB

WKR
Amazing that the hard cases are both ~23#, that really limits how much extra gear you can put in them. The Terraglide (which I have used a ton) is #10 lighter.

On my SKB double bow case, I ripped the arrow holders out and put a compact MTM arrow case in its place. That is a WAY better option than using those arrow holders, which are useless with broadheads.

OP
W

wysongdog

WKR
Amazing that the hard cases are both ~23#, that really limits how much extra gear you can put in them. The Terraglide (which I have used a ton) is #10 lighter.

On my SKB double bow case, I ripped the arrow holders out and put a compact MTM arrow case in its place. That is a WAY better option than using those arrow holders, which are useless with broadheads.
That’s a damn good idea. Hadn’t thought about that. Thank you!

I was trying to decide between the Pelican 1745 & the SKB 4217-7 double bow case. (as stated above SKB make the Kuiu version).
Somewhere in the tons of stuff I read I saw a few pics & reviews of the 1745 where the bottom corner near the wheels cracked & each person said Pelican wouldn't replace it under their "lifetime" warranty. That was enough for me to go with the SKB which has an unconditional lifetime replacement guarantee plus $1,500 "insurance" to replace anything inside the case if it gets damaged.
The other major deciding factor was cost. $500 vs the SKB at $340. I found a link to an ebay listing where I got it for $288 shipped to my house.
I think it gives you way more options for storing other gear too.

WKR
Iwas looking at one of these to transport my bow and backup bow on trips. Is the Kuiu case just the SKB iSeries 4217-7 Double Bow / Rifle Case with a $210 Kuiu ram decal on it?

Marble

WKR
For sure. I wouldn’t hesitate to throw down on the SKB.

I don’t think you could go wrong with the Pelican or SKB, but the Kuiu looks like it’s lacking the storage options from looking at the pictures.
My wife and I both have the SKB. Very rugged, easy to tote and big enough to carry a 34" ATA bow.

I'm not familiar with the pelican. I have other pelican stuff, and it's very similar to the SKB.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

JK47

FNG
My wife and I both have the SKB. Very rugged, easy to tote and big enough to carry a 34" ATA bow.

I'm not familiar with the pelican. I have other pelican stuff, and it's very similar to the SKB.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
It seemed rugged enough when I handled one at the pro shop. Of course, it was right after I got my Pelican. Had I not ordered the 1745, I probably would have walked out with that SKB.

As far as Pelican, the Air cases are definitely lighter than their Vault series.