Pelican 1745 Bow Case Review

I haven't seen a lot of review on the Pelican Air 1745 Bow Case so I thought I'd share my initial thoughts. As a disclaimer: I did not receive the case for free, but I did receive a discount through a sponsorship. This is my first bow specific hard case. I have previously used soft cases for local travel and larger pelican gun cases for longer travel. I have also never used the highly recommended SKB cases, but have plenty of hands on experiences at local stores. I wanted to find a case that would fit my bow without having to remove my sight and have plenty of customization options for accessory and tool storage (neat freak).

Very clean, traditional looking Pelican case.

This is in comparison to a Pelican 1700. I used the 1700 because it weighs only 1 lb less empty than the 1745 bow case. It is, in my opinion, considerably more durable and beefier. Traditional pelican cases are basically bomb proof. The 1745 is much thinner but is still plenty sturdy for me to never worry about any damage while traveling commercial air or driving. I may be able to jump on the case and damage some items inside like the arrows in the lid or the sight's slider dial, but I would not worry about even the worst airline crews handling this case.

Another size comparison as a reference for a very common Pelican case size.

I believe the buckles are a huge improvement. They seem to hold just as well as the other style buckles and are much easier to open. It's a nice improvement considering there are 6 buckles on the case total, four in the front and two on the side. While I've never had major issues with the old style buckles, it is a lot more pleasant to not have to bang your knuckles up on every open. They close easily as well.

The TSA locks seem solid enough for me to be comfortable traveling without using additional locks, but for at home security I will still use a basic shackle key lock (and wire it through the handle to all my other cases). The ID tag spot is a nice touch too.

The accessories! Opening them up I was questioning the hold down ability of the bungees and the customization ability of the foam braces in the bottom right. The two pouches are very nicely made, and the foam seems pretty durable and long lasting.

Setting my bow in for the first time to get the alignment to set everything else up. My bow is a Bowtech Realm, so short ATA and longer brace height. My biggest concern was for the width spacing to fit my sight in.

BEWARE! The website advertises the interior dimensions at 44"x16.8"x7.9" (L x W x H), but I noticed these were the same dimensions as the standard 1745 Air case without the foam padding and bow cover. The measurements I took were 43"x15.9"x7". About an inch total lost in each dimension for the foam. Luckily my bow is about 15.5" wide and was able to fit in comfortably.

Picture of after setting the protective blocks and using the bungees to secure the bow. Because my bow is so short I was only able to use two bungees instead of the recommended 4 (you don't want to use the bungees on the cams!). It does hold it extremely well with only two though. The blocks, in my mind, are pretty gimmicky, they don't really hold securely on the "molle" and you can't really dial in the fit great. They may help with some crushing issues if you're packing some clothing and other gear above the bow cover. The slider knob on my Black Gold Ascent Assault sticks up past the blocks as well.

Here's the cover over the bow and you can see the sight dial sticking up. You can cinch the cover down and I'm pretty confident the bow, with the blocks, the bungees, and the cover, isn't going to move at all.

The lid is organized neatly and it works perfectly for what I need. My biggest complains about this case come from some of the details that emerged as I was setting up the lid.

For one, the molle straps that they have setup to attach the pouches, quiver, and arrow holder to are only anchored at the top and bottom, so in the middle it's just loose and free floating. It would be a huge improvement if the molle was attached all the way down the lid (and on the bottom). It makes it weird pulling out arrows from the foam holder and feels loose when opening the pouches.

If anyone has ever used molle on military gear before you attach pouches vertically, weaving the strap back and forth through the gear. It holds anything you put on it very securely. On the molle in the top (and the bottom) the loops are horizontal, so you just velcro the top and bottom of the accessory and the middle is loose. This accentuates my issue with the molle straps being loose in the first place.

With only 4 molle straps it drastically limits your ability to organize the top in whatever way you would like. There only seem to be a few combinations that would work, with the one I did making the most sense. If the molle was better thought out or the accessories were directly mounted in a logical setup the case would be perfect for me.

You can also strap an arrow tube into the lid - something I do not have to show examples of.

Summary: Molle system needs a thought out upgrade, but out of everything I've seen this is the best on the market. Very protective, lightweight, holds everything very securely and allows a tremendous amount of organization.

Last edited:

TannerS

FNG
Thank you for the review! I have had my eye on this case since it was launched and appreciate the details!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to post this up for future searchers. Here's my pelican 1615 air after my last flight.
15f8a08f2512483338a2c3ed190ab45f.jpg
c23529f6533406d5c8fe418a2e4a0614.jpg

Found out that the air case is much more fragile then a military grade case. I also found out that pelican lifetime warranty actually doesn't cover much.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to post this up for future searchers. Here's my pelican 1615 air after my last flight.
15f8a08f2512483338a2c3ed190ab45f.jpg
c23529f6533406d5c8fe418a2e4a0614.jpg

Found out what I thought was a lifetime warranty wasn't all that after all. The air case is much more fragile then a military grade case. Be careful where you put your trust.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this. Good to know. Is the case cracked? I can't tell from the picture.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for posting this. Good to know. Is the case cracked? I can't tell from the picture.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Yes where the white is the plastic totally broke away and it's cracked all across the bottom in front of the wheel

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Cam101

FNG
Although I like the features on the case.. the above pictured damage (and lack of warranty) is simply unacceptable!

For something lightweight like a bow.. I'd overlook it, but the expense of this case makes it a tough sell.

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
I have the SKB version of that case. Also use a pelican 1365 as checked luggage case. both are great.
TSA and the bag handlers, airport conveyor systems are very rough on gear.

out of dozens of flights in 3 years, 2017 my SKB suffered wheel-case damage. I called the company, they were accommodating and said to ship case to them. But I was scheduled to be in their Irvine-CA area on business trip. So packed along my damage case. Drove rental car to their facility, 5 minutes after walking in the front door...SKB replaced it with new case at no charge.
In 2019, the bow case handle suffered damage. Emailed and In their area again on business trip, so stopped by.
SKB replaced it again with new case at no charge.

eddyprice

FNG
Very disappointing that it wasn't warranty replaced. Maybe write them a letter - it might make the difference.

I thought I'd share a quick summary of the Pelican Vault V730 I bought for my Mathews Halon 32. I couldn't stomach the cost of the SKB and Pelican 1745 and picked up this case for about $175. My main concern was being able to fit my bow with the sight on and have enough padding and room to limit any damage to the front of the sight - I'm running a CBE TEK Hybrid ( 3 pin slider) on the middle mounting position. I had to cut the foam to fit my bow, but overall I'm pleased. The latches seem to be decent and handles and wheels are sturdy. My only gripe is that the plastic on the lid could use some reinforcement, it can be a bit flimsy and if I dropped something heavy on the lid I could see potential damage to my quiver. There are multiple foam layers included with this case (it's sold as a rifle case) and I cut the first 1/2" layer out of the lid foam to be able to leave my quiver on in the case. It provides just enough room that my arrows are not pressed down while the lid is shut. Again, pretty sturdy case and I would fly with it. There are multiple pad lock grommets around the edge of the case, but the case itself is not locking like the SKBs.

** Inside Dim. 44" × 16" × 6.3"

Attachments

• IMG_2125.jpg
    IMG_2125.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2126.jpg
    IMG_2126.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 52

KBC

WKR
I was going to buy the SKB double bow case today for my Axius Ultra but I couldn’t spend the money. It just seemed too basic. The pelican case is the same price but has all the attachments for things. It just seems like the pelican case is made for all the stuff you need for your bow and the SKB just kind of has a spot to put your bow.