Patagonia now selling venison

intunegp

WKR
No comment on the axis deer slim jims, but if anyone likes to keep a couple cans of smoked oysters at camp for a snack, the Patagonia Provisions canned mussels are excellent and as much as it hurts to pay that for a tin of shellfish, I'll probably buy more in the future.

LostArra

WKR
I still say that I am a big tent guy. I will happily share the woods with some filthy, Patagonia clad hippies, as long as it means we have more voices and votes standing up for wild places. We will not find alignment on all things and we can fight amongst ourselves whose jerky is more humane while we share their weed and my whiskey by fire light.
Amen.
It's a shame more professional politicians don't share your view.

Actually horse is excellent. You let that cat out of the bag and all the field-to-table chefs will be out there fileting Flicka in no time…;-)
I can see it now. A YouTube feature production from Meateater. A proclaimed chef standing there with a waxed handlebar mustache, flat brim hat, first lite camo pattern apron, and that $500 meat crafter knife. Sautéeing a nice filet of horse backstrap packed out using the finest stone glacier $700 backpack, about 100 yards from the Toyota Tacoma behind the cameraman.

Please god let this catch on and become the new “back country elk hunting” fad. #sickforit #tradflags #vortex

ODB

WKR
I can see it now. A YouTube feature production from Meateater. A proclaimed chef standing there with a waxed handlebar mustache, flat brim hat, first lite camo pattern apron, and that $500 meat crafter knife. Sautéeing a nice filet of horse backstrap packed out using the finest stone glacier $700 backpack, about 100 yards from the Toyota Tacoma behind the cameraman.

Please god let this catch on and become the new “back country elk hunting” fad. #sickforit #tradflags #vortex

Spot on.

"Our venison comes from invasive wild axis deer whose voracious grazing destroys fragile native ecosystems."

Eating the enemy...

Bag on Patagonia all you want, but that venison comes from Maui Nui which is actual a pretty cool operation. I’m not saying I buy their stuff, I’m saying I wish I got in on that business plan first.

https://mauinuivenison.com/

I think utilizing a problem invasive and creating a market for their harvest is a pretty cool idea. Could play well is the backpacking freeze dried market!

I can understand where you guys are coming from but can’t quite get there myself. There seems to be a little hypocrisy for profit happening here and the premise goes against the philosophy of natural resource management that we use to operate on.

It has been proven that if we want to keep a part of our flora and fauna intact and on the landscape we need it to have value, recognized intrinsic value that people will support and/or economic value that supports people and the resource.

It seems to me like advertising the ecological benefits of eating invasives that damage the ecosystem would not be a business proposition unless your business model was to succeed in going out of business. To succeed economically and be a sustainable business the promotion of the axis venison needs to maintain value in the deer and maintain the population at least at the level needed for business. I know they claim wanting to maintain a balance of deer and ecosystem but at the same time they are advertising their good deeds of fighting the alien invasion (for profit). Which is it? The invasive goats are subject to eradication efforts at times because of their impacts. What if it’s found that axis deer are causing native extinctions? How can we ”balance” the population if the economy depends on it?

There are negatives to game farming and there are negatives to commercial hunting and there are negatives to invasive species. It is hard to manage and balance the potential pros and cons of each of these things. This example seems to combine all three and as is usual I suspect that following the $$$ will show us where it’s going.

I guess I see an endless supply of lionfish and florida pythons. If they pivot to farming them rather than help manage/remove the invasive....well they are no longer helping to manage the invasive and the whole idea is moot.

AdamLewis

FNG
Wonder how they’re harvesting that “invasive wild axis deer”?
Probably buying it from these guys: https://mauinuivenison.com/ or someone similar if they've popped up.

Except for the sugar, lots of overlap in the ingredients list between Patagonia's sticks and https://mauinuivenison.com/collections/venison-snacks/products/sugar-free-pepper-stick-24-pack.

Hawaii will sell a guy an Axis permit for $20 a year, and the season is open with no bag limit. They'd really prefer if someone killed them all but I don't think there are many outfits hunting them at a commercial scale.

Last edited:

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Ha!!!
im in on the horse jerky too
Yeah. I was talking about this just the other day. It's too bad eating horse is so taboo in our culture. I would be willing to help our ecosystem and save some of the BLM budget by filling a depredation tag for wild horse here in Wyoming. I wouldn't want to have to pack it out on my back, that's for sure, and I'd probably need another freezer.

Antares

WKR
Wonder how they’re harvesting that “invasive wild axis deer”?

As has been said, it’s coming from Maui Nui.

Maui Nui shoots deer on private ranch land, they pay the ranch per head. They shoot at night with thermal and locate deer with thermal equipped drones. They have a USDA inspector with them during culling operations and they have their own processing facility. They report to have taken 9,500 deer in 2022.