Pant Measurement Index

Greetings! Recent join after conveniently finding this forum around Black Friday, much to my wallet's chagrin. Overall though, I appreciate all the knowledge y'all share, some great stuff going on.

Wanted to contribute a little bit given my recent Black Friday shopping and start an "index" for pant measurements. I bought some Kuiu Attack, Katana Stretch, and First Lite Corrugate Foundry pants and ended up keeping the Katana Stretch. In the evaluation process, I took some measurements for my own reference. It's a practice I've started to help reduce the annoyance of poor fitting clothing, whether in city or outdoors. Crowd sourcing this data would be helpful for the wider community, and that is the motivation for this thread.

Here is how this thread can work...use the following template for any pants you want to share measurements on. Remove the description of measurement, and replace with your own flexible tape measured values. It's not rocket science, but does require a bit of time, and re-measuring, to ensure good data. Please specify unit of measurement!

Make: the clothing brand
Model: the pant model
Size: labeled size and optional inseam (e.g. 34 regular, 34x32)
Waist: Pull the front of the pants up so it lines up evenly with the back. Measure straight across the waist. It is VERY important to be sure to pull the front completely up in line with the back, or else it will result in a smaller waist measurement, which is not the true accurate measurement.
Front Rise: Measure from the center of the crotch to the top of the waist. If there is a gusset, measure it and start this measurement from the midpoint.
Back Rise: On the back, measure from the center of the crotch to the top of the waist. If there is a gusset, do the same as front rise and use midpoint of gusset to start measurement.
Upper Thigh: Start 3″ down from the crotch (or gusset midpoint), and measure straight across the thigh. Typically 1" down from crotch is what clothing industry uses, but I found with hunting pants and gussets, it's easier to go down a little further. This is one of the more annoying measurements but super helpful to know.
Knee: Start 13″ down from the crotch (or gusset midpoint), measure straight across the knee.
Leg Opening: Measure across the very bottom of the leg at the opening.
Inseam: Measure from the crotch to the end of the leg.

Other reasons why this is helpful:
  • Make more educated purchasing decisions, with higher confidence of keeping what you buy
  • Understand why one brand fits you better than another
  • Identify sizing inconsistency within a brand (model vs model, year over year, stated vs actual measurement, or even pant vs pant)

OP
dailyherold
Make: Kuiu
Model: Katana Stretch
Size: 34 regular
Waist: 17.5"
Front Rise: 11"
Back Rise: 15.25"
Upper Thigh: 12"
Knee: 8.75"
Leg Opening: 7.75"
Inseam: 33.25"

Make: Kuiu
Model: Attack
Size: 34 regular
Waist: 17.375"
Front Rise: 11.25"
Back Rise: 16"
Upper Thigh: 12.5"
Knee: 9.125"
Leg Opening: 8.25"
Inseam: 33.75"

Make: First Lite
Model: Corrugate Foundry
Size: 34x32
Waist: 17.5"
Front Rise: 12.25"
Back Rise: 16"
Upper Thigh: 13.25"
Knee: 10"
Leg Opening: 8"
Inseam: 32"

Ended up keeping the Katanas because they fit my lower body better overall. Measurements definitely helped explain what I was feeling when I compared. Was a close call with the Attacks and their super comfy softer inner face, but felt like I'd wear the Katanas more year round and just layer accordingly. Want a pair of Attacks in the future though.

First Lites had great features but just felt like they were made for a different build. Also found the inseam too short for boot use. Compared to the Kuius, the Kuius felt like they were tailored for me.