Pan head for this tripod?

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
I have this little Mephoto (?) backpacking tripod I have started using gor hunting. It was originally just for my photography but I ended up really enjoying it hunting so still using it.

I don't love the ball head for glassing, I was curious what a good little panning head for it would be that I could move over to a new dedicated hunting tripod at a later date? Is this the way to go or am I better off just waiting and buying a new tripod and can head at one time? I was looking at the Sirui fluid heads currently.

Attachments

• 20230715_102212.jpg
    20230715_102212.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 26

ibefshn

FNG
SmallRig fluid pan head that sells on Amazon is actually really nice and priced right.

Wrench

WKR
I really like the mh40/50 fr9m leofoto. The 50 will be too big for you. They're a panning ball head with a extendable grip.

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
SmallRig fluid pan head that sells on Amazon is actually really nice and priced right.
I will check it out thanks.
I really like the mh40/50 fr9m leofoto. The 50 will be too big for you. They're a panning ball head with a extendable grip.
That sounds interesting, does the extendable grip help keep it out of the way when not in use?

strongarm

FNG
I've got a Manfrotto Befree live fluid video head on my small carbon fiber backpacking tripod. It's under 1# and handles an 85mm spotter respectably well for the size/weight/pricepoint. Just have to be smart with in use and expected conditions, but that's more about the tripod than it is the head. Much better than a ball head for a spotter.

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Tricer LP
Been eyeballing that one for a while. The reviews for it are so varying that I am nervous to try one. Lots of reviews report issues with quality.
I've got a Manfrotto Befree live fluid video head on my small carbon fiber backpacking tripod. It's under 1# and handles an 85mm spotter respectably well for the size/weight/pricepoint. Just have to be smart with in use and expected conditions, but that's more about the tripod than it is the head. Much better than a ball head for a spotter.
I hadnt seen that one looks promising. Not spotter yet. Its on the want list but not able to justify yet.

strongarm

FNG
@flyfisher117 Like with anything just run through your pro-con list if considering the Manfrotto Befree. I wanted a compact setup when I'm backpack hunting and it fit the bill. I've got frankly too many tripods and heads in my kit, but mostly for photography. Does it stack up to my 85mm on a gimbal head on a good set of sticks? Not even close, obviously. It's hard to find a compact lightweight pan head that will handle the forward weight of an 85mm, and I think the Befree is rated to handle over 8#. If I'm smart about it (I usually use at low heights when seated vs. standing heights) and also understand it's not going to be as rock solid as my "real" setups, it works and I've never worried about dropping my expensive glass...again due to thinking ahead and being cognizant of conditions (wind/terrain). I've threatened to cut down the control arm to shorten up for packing (and save even a little more weight, but weight savings would be nominal since it's only about 3/4#). Honestly the performance of that head exceeds what I expected, esp. for the pricepoint.

strongarm

FNG
@flyfisher117 if you're using with binos I don't think you'd be disappointed. Just be mindful of placement and ergonomics of the control arm since the Befree is really designed to be a video head; you may find it awkward with binos, but you can overcome it or, like above, cut down the arm. My spotter is angled so it doesn't get in the way for me. I'll have to try it with binos.

Tricer

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Been eyeballing that one for a while. The reviews for it are so varying that I am nervous to try one. Lots of reviews report issues with quality.

I hadnt seen that one looks promising. Not spotter yet. Its on the want list but not able to justify yet.
news to me. The LP is the little engine that could and I rarely have any quality issues or returns. Keep in mind we have about 8,000 on the market now so stuff goes wrong but we always make it right. People including myself love that head. If you don't like it I will gladly give your money back.

Go checkout the reviews on our site those are all verified purchases of that head.

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
news to me. The LP is the little engine that could and I rarely have any quality issues or returns. Keep in mind we have about 8,000 on the market now so stuff goes wrong but we always make it right. People including myself love that head. If you don't like it I will gladly give your money back.

Go checkout the reviews on our site those are all verified purchases of that head.

Thanks. Browsed your website and the reviews a few times.

It's always when I venture off into the forums that I start seeing issues. It would help to get hands on one before hand but I don't know anyone running it.