Painting a stock - Krylon says not clear coat????

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
I agree man I think that looks awesome!
Geewhiz:

Here is the second gun I painted recently. The true colors are not captured exactly in these photos because the sun had set too low before I took them, but you get the idea. This is a grey/brown color. It has a primer coat, a coat of dark brown, then a coat of otter brown, then a dusting of hammered brown then the marble paint, then three coats of satin clear coat and finally a dusting of flat clear coat. The photo by the bucket is what it looked like before. I will add that the original paint job was fantastic. Well done and would have lasted a lifetime. I have just been at the house a lot lately as opposed to traveling or the farm so that lead to me looking for projects.

Attachments

• IMG_1163.jpeg
    IMG_1163.jpeg
    646.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1169.jpeg
    IMG_1169.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1166.jpeg
    IMG_1166.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1108.jpeg
    IMG_1108.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 81

Geewhiz

WKR
Geewhiz:

Here is the second gun I painted recently. The true colors are not captured exactly in these photos because the sun had set too low before I took them, but you get the idea. This is a grey/brown color. It has a primer coat, a coat of dark brown, then a coat of otter brown, then a dusting of hammered brown then the marble paint, then three coats of satin clear coat and finally a dusting of flat clear coat. The photo by the bucket is what it looked like before. I will add that the original paint job was fantastic. Well done and would have lasted a lifetime. I have just been at the house a lot lately as opposed to traveling or the farm so that lead to me looking for projects.
I’m impressed. It looks awesome and very professional

I painted a magpul stock. Flat clear coat applied sparingly in a couple stages. Years later looks good and has not chipped, wrinkled etc. FWIW.

That looks awesome!! On the webbing, did you use the Marble spray from Krylon? I have a stock to do that I've just planned on sponging, but your paint job is next level to my eye, and not something I have even considered. Let me know if you have any tips for that to pass on.

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
That looks awesome!! On the webbing, did you use the Marble spray from Krylon? I have a stock to do that I've just planned on sponging, but your paint job is next level to my eye, and not something I have even considered. Let me know if you have any tips for that to pass on.
1. I did use the Marble from Krylon. First tip, is to buy an extra can and practice with it. You can mess up a good base coat on the stock in a heartbeat with one pass from the Marble. Stay a little further from the stock than you might think when you apply.
2. Use the white primer from Krylon for hard to stick surfaces or plastics. Makes a lot better products. I have done one stock without it and it is not as good.
3. Get some color combos and practice on a five gallon bucket to get your stock color. I like two different base colors apply one as a base then a complimentary color lightly applied next. Then I do a dusting with Krylon textured. Final is the Marble paint.
4. Go light coats and wait 15 to 20 minutes between coats. Be finished with everything but the clear coat in 2 hours. Let it dry 48 hours then apply your clear coat. I actually let my stocks dry in front of a fan.
For me the satin clear coat applied lightly twice and then a really light coat of flat clear coat works best.
5. Thanks for the compliments. The photos look good, but do not really do the guns justice.

1. I did use the Marble from Krylon. First tip, is to buy an extra can and practice with it. You can mess up a good base coat on the stock in a heartbeat with one pass from the Marble. Stay a little further from the stock than you might think when you apply.
2. Use the white primer from Krylon for hard to stick surfaces or plastics. Makes a lot better products. I have done one stock without it and it is not as good.
3. Get some color combos and practice on a five gallon bucket to get your stock color. I like two different base colors apply one as a base then a complimentary color lightly applied next. Then I do a dusting with Krylon textured. Final is the Marble paint.
4. Go light coats and wait 15 to 20 minutes between coats. Be finished with everything but the clear coat in 2 hours. Let it dry 48 hours then apply your clear coat. I actually let my stocks dry in front of a fan.
For me the satin clear coat applied lightly twice and then a really light coat of flat clear coat works best.
5. Thanks for the compliments. The photos look good, but do not really do the guns justice.
Thanks for taking the time to write that up. That's super helpful.