Paint pens

ElPollo

WKR
Those of you who are using paint pens for thread locker, what brand are you using. I used a UNI-brand Posca paint-pen yesterday to attach a bolt knob on a UM Tikka bolt handle. Roughly 21 hours later, the paint is not drying or locking the threads. That is the issue I’ve had with red loctite under some conditions, but this paint pen is way worse. What am I doing wrong? Is there that much variation in paint pen brands? Thanks in advance.

The Guide

WKR
This is what UM is selling on their site now.

Jay

OP
E

ElPollo

WKR
This is what UM is selling on their site now.

Jay

Thanks. I’ve seen that. I like UM and have bought stuff from them including the bolt handle and knob. But I was hoping to be able to find a paint pen that works locally instead of paying them to ship a $2 pen. It’s also good info to know if only certain brands of pens work for this application. Has anyone else tried using a paint pen for a thread locker and seen it fail to dry?

These are what I use: https://www.amazon.com/White-Paint-...-12-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1

Just an FYI, as they are oil-based, you have to shake the crap out of them before you use them, because the product will separate inside after a while and that will affect its ability to set up.

In your particular case, if you have already done that, hit it with a hair dryer as it may just be humidity that is making it take longer to set.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Those of you who are using paint pens for thread locker, what brand are you using.

IMG_0785.jpeg

I used a UNI-brand Posca paint-pen yesterday to attach a bolt knob on a UM Tikka bolt handle. Roughly 21 hours later, the paint is not drying or locking the threads. That is the issue I’ve had with red loctite under some conditions, but this paint pen is way worse. What am I doing wrong? Is there that much variation in paint pen brands? Thanks in advance.

You want Loctite 380 for the bolt knob. There’s too much rotational force being put on the knob with too large of threads for paint pen or standard loctite- it’ll come loose.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
It’s also good info to know if only certain brands of pens work for this application. Has anyone else tried using a paint pen for a thread locker and seen it fail to dry?

I’ve not seen any difference in any of them. As stated above, did you shake it up well?

taskswap

WKR
I use paint pens for a lot of things but nothing firearms-related. I HAVE used nail polish, which IMO works just as well if not better for things like helping engraved digits "pop" out or marking heads of screws to verify later that they haven't turned.

YMMV. I find the flow rate of paint pens is too unpredictable for me. At least with the two brands I've tried, the flow takes a sec to get started, then seems to come out too fast for fine work.

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I had no idea people used paint pens for this sort of thing, kind of funny actually. I have so many pens from work, guess I have one new use for them now