Packraft for waterfowling?

Has anyone used a packraft (have my eyes on Alpacka Raft) for waterfowl hunting? Will be hunting mostly marsh habitat, but a watercraft may also expand my hunting areas.

The transport and portability, vs a kayak, is a big upside for me. I will also use it for hunting (crossing rivers) and fishing from time to time.

Please share your experience if you're so inclined.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
One concern I can think of is how a packraft would be to handle in the weather I like to hunt in. I paddle canoes and kayaks regularly and use my canoe hunting on marshes when I can. A canoe blows around a lot in the wind and can be more of a pain to keep in place if it's windy compared to a kayak. A friend of mine had an NRS inflatable kayak and that thing would spin like a top in the wind. Paddling and keeping a packraft tied down in the wind could be a headache. A packraft designed for whitewater use is going to be durable and stable though.

I have done it on small lakes and drifting a few bigger rivers but controlling it is a little dodgy. No draft so no tracking. Running a dry suit because all of the water I am running is super cold.

OP
David Gough
One concern I can think of is how a packraft would be to handle in the weather I like to hunt in. I paddle canoes and kayaks regularly and use my canoe hunting on marshes when I can. A canoe blows around a lot in the wind and can be more of a pain to keep in place if it's windy compared to a kayak. A friend of mine had an NRS inflatable kayak and that thing would spin like a top in the wind. Paddling and keeping a packraft tied down in the wind could be a headache. A packraft designed for whitewater use is going to be durable and stable though.
Good points

You intend to shoot from the boat? Packrafts spin really easy which can be an advantage in some circumstances but I think it would be a disadvantage for waterfowling. I find it difficult to shoot pictures from mine.

OP
David Gough
You intend to shoot from the boat? Packrafts spin really easy which can be an advantage in some circumstances but I think it would be a disadvantage for waterfowling. I find it difficult to shoot pictures from mine.
Good point. Would be a deal breaker if I used it for that. I'm thinking it would be just for transport.

Breaking ice would be another deal breaker.

S.Clancy

WKR
Having used both, I would much prefer a canoe for actual duck hunting. You can carry way more gear, hunt with multiple people, not have to wear a dry suit, and you can get a damn nice canoe for the cost of a packraft. And I get the space savings of packraft, but Id pick a canoe in every instance for waterfowl.

AKDoc

WKR
Nice pic LB^^^^^^^^^

My PR-49HD has served me very reliably for numerous 10-day remote floats, and it goes with me moose hunting every year that I have a lake-drop put-in. It weighs only 15lbs, and is a quick pump-up and go...thank you LB for the design and bringing it to the market...
IMG_2308 2.jpg

MTtrout

WKR
I have no experience with packrafting to share but have seen them paddled through some gnarly rapids choked with boulders so don’t doubt the durability. My own hesitation would be punctures from the vegetation when shifting weight distribution while getting in and out of it. Not only shrubs but some plants get pretty stout when dried out. Especially phragmites if you have it.

I’ve always used a canoe but really like the idea of a packraft. I can picture lots of areas I’d like to hunt but would be a huge hassle to use a canoe/kayak to access.

49ereric

WKR
No raft experience.
Coleman scanoe wider than normal canoe and the ram-x material flexes nicely and much less tippy. 98lbs but I can back up close to shore in the wild rice and hunt where boats can’t go. Now if the duck population had not faded away and the northern birds still came to visit it would be great. Nothing like it used to be.
I mostly hunt alone and rigged up a block and tackle to load it up easily. Getting old.
coleman quit making them years ago.
alumin canoe scares me now cuz way tippier.

Attachments

• D4C23ED3-57D2-4838-87F3-A91E7C078E25.jpeg
    D4C23ED3-57D2-4838-87F3-A91E7C078E25.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 19

RyanSeek43

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I hunt a big river near me. I don't have a dog so thats how I get my ducks. It works pretty dang well.