Packing your food for your hunt

Exactly. What's wrong with just pouring boiling water into a freeze-dried meal pouch, as described on the package? Or pouring hot water into a mug, for your hot cocoa? Who pours boiling water into a Ziploc?
Right. If the weight of the factory packages is too heavy for you, you should work out harder. Snyder had a video doing this, I'm sure that's why people are doing the same.

BBob

WKR
Who pours boiling water into a Ziploc?
Snyder had a video doing this, I'm sure that's why people are doing the same.
I have been for years (way before I ever heard of this Snyder guy) and many do. I also package some of my meals in vacuum bags. I hardly ever buy or eat commercially produced meals anymore, I prefer to make my own and package them in either a ziploc or vac bag and re-hydrate in a HMG Repack. The Repack has a rectangular reinforced bottom that will support the bag when pouring water into it and stands on its own when full.

Last edited:
I have been for years (way before I ever heard of this Snyder guy) and many do. I also package some of my meals in vacuum bags. I hardly ever buy or eat commercially produced meals anymore, I prefer to make my own and package them in either a ziploc or vac bag and re-hydrate in a HMG Repack.

No offense but look at your sources...

BBob

WKR
No offense but look at your sources...
There's a gillion other sources that explain the differences in the plastics that you should use and should not use. I picked two random. If your not comfortable don't do it :)

And no one seems to have a problem boiling in mylar or mylar lined bags. Mylar is a plastic, shouldn't we be worried about that too?

Last edited:

Drenalin

WKR
I use Ziplocs to organize food, and pour boiling water into them for ramen and oatmeal. For freeze dried, I use the packages they come in. So probably only eating a handful of meals per year out of a Ziploc, which may or may not be any worse for you than eating out of a mylar bag. If that’s what gets me then so be it. I can’t keep up with everything that’s supposed to be bad for us now, but appreciate all the concerned citizens who have taken on the burden of reminding us we’re all going to die. I also rarely wash my titanium spoon or cup 😬.

Titan_Bow

WKR
If you are dehydrating your own meals or making your own granola or oatmeal breakfasts, you can get Mylar bags on Amazon. They are pleated on the bottom so they stand on their own, they are BPA free and way easier than trying to pour boiling water into a ziploc bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
Call me a slob, but I lay out all of my food for the trip and then pack it up in one or 2 dry bags. I then select the food that I want to carry for the day each morning based on my mood and caloric expectations. Gonna be a big day? -might go extra on fast carbs. Cold day? Might wants some extra fat.

When I get back to camp, I then rummage through my selection of dinners like a menu until one of them sounds particularly appealing for the occasion. While I get the aspect of not having to think about your food, sometimes certain foods sound better than others. I spend enough time In The backcountry that I can easily get burned out on certain foods.

I’ve done various degrees of separating everything by day into a ton of bags, etc.
More recently did this and greatly preferred it. Just as long as I know there’s enough food for x days I’ll just eat whatever looks appealing at the time. Some days skip some snacks, one day eat extra snacks, etc. Matches my usual eating pattern more.

Seth

WKR
I pack breakfast, lunch, and snacks in a qt ziplock bag for each day, then keep my dinners loose so I can pick what sounds good. Everything goes into a dry bag for hanging. This helps ensure I eat the right amount each day… not too much and not too little.

For an easy breakfast, I’ll often mix up a hearty cereal like Kashi, pre-measure dry milk and protein powder into the ziplock with it, and breakfast is as simple as add water and shake. Lunches are usually tortillas with almond butter and honey.

Exactly. What's wrong with just pouring boiling water into a freeze-dried meal pouch, as described on the package? Or pouring hot water into a mug, for your hot cocoa? Who pours boiling water into a Ziploc?
Yeah I get it, but in my case we are talking a handful of times every few years. We didn't even spike out on our last hunt as the area we hunted didn't require it (and we were in elk (and bears) every day). That said, I do throw it in the Dehydrated meal bag as often as I reheat in plastic. That crappy ramen stuff works best that way. Shoot, lets talk about unhealthy...that stuff will kill you, but literally the only time I eat it ever is on elk hunts.

I could do it in my little cup, but saves cleanup.

Drenalin

WKR
Or pouring hot water into a mug, for your hot cocoa? Who pours boiling water into a Ziploc?
Wait, people are drinking hot cocoa out of a Ziploc? I missed that...but if true, count me as one who thinks it sounds stupid (though I would like to watch someone try it).

And who does dishes during a backpack hunt? I mean, a boil pot, a cup and a couple spoons - so dishes duty after every meal? That's ridiculous. Just eat, drink, and wipe with a shirt sleeve. Heck, when I'm backpacking, nothing gets washed till I get back to town, 12-18 days later.

svivian

WKR
Haven't seen this mentioned yet so ill throw my .02. I use an ultralight dry sack and throw all of my food into it. The dry bag goes between the pack and frame like I would be packing meat. If I'm in bear country I hang the dry bag in a tree and I'm good to go. Plenty of space in my bag for gear, easy to carry and I have an extra dry bag in case I need it.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
For 2-3 day trips, I'll put each day's food in a gallon zip lock bag. I have my food for the day in a dry bag along with my stove, pot, and spork. I don't bother with repackaging since space isn't too much of a concern on the shorter trips.

For 4 days and beyond, I'll still have each day in a zip lock bag, but all future food will be in a 30l stuff sack that I can hang. My food for the day will still be in the dry bag with stove/spork/pot. Moving forward, I'll have to give the repackaging and vacuum sealing a try to save space.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
In my simple brain it sounds like you're saying that the chemicals in plastic are leeching into the food and suppressing testosterone.
Broken down Plastics mimic estrogen. Heat breaks down plastic.
I rehydrate all my meals in my pot and take them out of the heavy mylar bag

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You guys are crazy with this ziplock testosterone nonsense. I’ve been backpacking and hunting for over 25 years now and have used ziplocks the entire time. When am I supposed to start noticing this lack of testosterone? Guess I’ll just keep waiting?

Poser

WKR
You guys are crazy with this ziplock testosterone nonsense. I’ve been backpacking and hunting for over 25 years now and have used ziplocks the entire time. When am I supposed to start noticing this lack of testosterone? Guess I’ll just keep waiting?

1. We know that plastics contain testosterone killers. This is easily verifiable.
2. We know that heat breaks down plastics. Plastics not designed for heat, will break down even more so.
3. one of the first Dr recommendations for low T is to eliminate all food storage in plastics, but, in particular, any hot food in plastic.

The discussion is hardly “crazy.” I’d say it’s super practical and something to consider if you care about your health and don’t want to have symptoms of low T. Men’s T levels across the population are declining and there is a lot of evidence to support that plastic exposure is at least partially responsible.

1. We know that plastics contain testosterone killers. This is easily verifiable.
2. We know that heat breaks down plastics. Plastics not designed for heat, will break down even more so.
3. one of the first Dr recommendations for low T is to eliminate all food storage in plastics, but, in particular, any hot food in plastic.

The discussion is hardly “crazy.” I’d say it’s super practical and something to consider if you care about your health and don’t want to have symptoms of low T. Men’s T levels across the population are declining and there is a lot of evidence to support that plastic exposure is at least partially responsible.
If I don't listen to the local talk radio station I never hear about how much T levels are down...

Seems like such a major problem would more talked about.

Poser

WKR
If I don't listen to the local talk radio station I never hear about how much T levels are down...

Seems like such a major problem would more talked about.

Generally speaking, not too many people actually care. Many men don’t even care.
If someone does care, it’s easy to shrug off because “you can always get TRT.” Some segment of the society applauds this decline.

Taking a look at the broader problem of plastics, sugar consumption, estrogen producing chemicals in many self care products and food (some of which are considered “healthy”), not to mention the sheer amount of hormone related pharmaceuticals that are entering the water supply and are usually not filtered out by conventional water treatments unless you have a triple osmosis water filter in your home… are all inconveniences. There’s also the fact that TRT is highly profitable and growing sector of business.