Packing your food for your hunt

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Generally speaking, not too many people actually care. Many men don’t even care.
If someone does care, it’s easy to shrug off because “you can always get TRT.” Some segment of the society applauds this decline.

Taking a look at the broader problem of plastics, sugar consumption, estrogen producing chemicals in many self care products and food (some of which are considered “healthy”), not to mention the sheer amount of hormone related pharmaceuticals that are entering the water supply and are usually not filtered out by conventional water treatments unless you have a triple osmosis water filter in your home… are all inconveniences. There’s also the fact that TRT is highly profitable and growing sector of business.
Imagine living your life with this much fear. Ziplock bags with food in them is what we’re talking about here bud, not the zombie apocalypse… Everything is gonna be alright. Chill.

FlyGuy

WKR
I have a question for the OP, do you really need to carry all 10 days of food? Maybe I’m way off base, but the nature of your question leads me to think this isn’t something you’ve done before? If I’m way off base I apologize, but if I’m not and this IS one of your first big backpack hunts, then I would encourage you to just take much less (day bags) of food. For my group, we typically go in with 3-5 days worth (depends heavily on anticipated distance, we’ve taken as much as 8 and as little as 2). Usually 3-5 days in a drainage is plenty enough time for us to 1) determine there are no elk there and it’s time to go to plan B, or 2) blow all the elk out of the drainage AND THEN determine there are no elk there and and it’s time to go to plan B. .

But seriously, 10 days is a lot of weight to pack in and then have to pack right back out if you aren’t into elk. Yes, vac sealing could save space, but you damn well better have your food absolutely dialed b/c there won’t be any changes made once it’s sealed. For me, it just wouldn’t be worth all the trouble to vac seal, but that’s just personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
Wasn't really sure what section to put this in.
I havw my food list for what I am going to take this season. Enough for 10 days. About 3500 calories on average per day.
The question I had for you all is how do you pack it up in your pack?
Do you use just a large zip lock bag for each day?
Reason I asked is I had thought of putting each day in a vacume sealed bag and seal it up that way just due to space. Seems like the vac bag would take up less space inside the pack vs just a zip lock bag.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Loose in the detachable lid. I don't put anything in my pack in bags any more except for one dry bag. I also remove all the desiccant packs from meals and jerky. Saves ounces.

All my food is stashed in a lightweight bag and hung. I pull out what I feel like eating each meal. Will fish when able and add some trout to the mix.

hangfood.jpg

Ammo29

FNG
a mre meal with extras like powder soup mixs and power bars and diff typles of hard candy items in a zip lock plastic bag along with beef jerkys and thick heavy german ritter sport chocolate candy bars like two diff flavors that i get from the store and put them into a ziplock plastic bag then into the cooler with ice to keep them frozen for use on the day hunts along with sport drinks mixs and hot choc drink mix and pre made vacum packed plastic bags with sugar add to the mix typle of tea and diff flavored cool-aid drinks mixs for use as need ..also a mini water puf unit that screws on to a water bottle so i do not have to carry a lot of water with me on the hunt ..
plus i allways carried extra food items to keep with me just in case i get stuck out over night when hunting..along with a aftermarket typle water bottle cup that fits on the bottom of the water bottle and a fire starting kit to keep warm and have a little piece of mind when staying out over night
another thing i carry is baby wipes

most of the items where taken out of the bigger packageing and put into a large zip lock plastic bag to carry them ....

a mre meal with extras like powder soup mixs and power bars and diff typles of hard candy items in a zip lock ......

Speaking of MRE's, my outfitter and I climbed way back into a nasty Coues spot last December and when we got there, we found where a couple guys had camped out during the early November hunt. There was empty MRE packages, Ziploc bags, empty plastic water bottles, plastic food wrappers, empty Jet Boil canisters, assorted other trash, left underneath a Pinyon pine. Took my outfitter and I a full day to cleanup and remove the mess that those jerkoffs left in there.

Lcm12594

FNG
Gallon ziploc for me and then I may unpackage some food and squeeze into a smaller size ziploc and pack that inside. Some food packaging is unnecessarily large compared to what it carries

utley010

FNG
Here's a different option. We (wife and I) use a lightweight dry bag- used the kuiu ones for years- and put all breakfasts in one and dinners in another, etc. Our trips generally range from 10-14 days.
What size bags?