Packing versus riding starting out

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned before I’m training to 3 year old mares to ride, and I wondering if anyone ever just packed with their horses the first year or two before trail riding them a bunch? I’ve heard of outfitters taking inexperienced horses and putting them in a packstring for the first couple seasons before they switched them over to riding. Seems like it would be a good way to introduce the horse to different areas/challenges.

Secondly, does anyone ever just lead their packhorse into the backcountry without riding them? I don’t have enough horses to pack one and ride the other. I like packing good hay/pellets, steaks, beer, good bedding, etc and can’t fit this all onto one horse. I will keep there loads under 175-215 lbs with tack.

Thanks

Secondly, does anyone ever just lead their packhorse into the backcountry without riding them? I don’t have enough horses to pack one and ride the other. I like packing good hay/pellets, steaks, beer, good bedding, etc and can’t fit this all onto one horse. I will keep there loads under 175-215 lbs with tack.

Thanks
I did this all the time with the horse we had last fall. I usually just had the horse pack it's gear and a few extra doodads for camp, but he was ready to haul out meat should the need arise. No reason to think it wouldn't work for you.

OP
P

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
I did this all the time with the horse we had last fall. I usually just had the horse pack it's gear and a few extra doodads for camp, but he was ready to haul out meat should the need arise. No reason to think it wouldn't work for you.
I appreciate it, I will continue working them on trails.

Ralphie

WKR
When I was guiding wed start colts riding and packing. Pack them into camp, ride them in there and maybe back out. Miles on a trail packing will do a lot of good for a colt. We had a few that we never rode and some we almost never packed, but packing is great for getting colts going.

OP
P

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
When I was guiding wed start colts riding and packing. Pack them into camp, ride them in there and maybe back out. Miles on a trail packing will do a lot of good for a colt. We had a few that we never rode and some we almost never packed, but packing is great for getting colts going.
Guys I greatly appreciate the advice, I bought a used sawbuck in good condition and will get some canvas panniers, and start walking trails with a one sack of pellets per side. Thank you

When I started off, I could only afford 1 horse. I packed camp in. I packed meat out.

I worked my way up to riding in and packing out. At some point I got a reasonable deal on another horse so my wife was comfortable coming along. As I got enough land I added another horse and then another.

How do I hunt now? I ride in and if I kill something, I load it up and lead my horses back to the truck or camp. If we get a couple and or have to come back the next day, I sometimes ride in and pack out, but more often take a second horse for the other half and lead them out. I guess it depends on how far in it is and how tired I am. More horses give me more choices.

bmart2622

WKR
I ride in and ride out but thats because I have enough stock to do it. If I didn't have enough I certainly wouldn't let that stop me and if I wasnt comfortable riding in and out I wouldn't let that stop me either.

OP
P

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
I’m comfortable riding in and riding out, but only have one horse currently trained good enough. I’ve been riding this one since January weekly and doing ground work. I was thinking it would give us both more experience and options, since I have young green horses, and I’m pretty green too. I’ve had two other well broke horses before but have never trained one from a foal to a started horse.

Pony soldier, I normally elk hunt within 2-3 miles of the road and off mostly hunt off trails. I would mostly just use the horse for packing out of drainages where it very tough to backpack one out. It’s all uphill, but there are cattle/elk trails to walk out on.

I would Ike to pack n a camp for fishing in the backcountry multiple miles and camp for 2-3 days. I could carry 30 lbs of hay, salt, high line, haynet, my sleeping bag, pad, tarp, fishing gear, Coors, steaks, potatoes, eggs, coffee, and cooking stuff and have a very nice camp. I would carry an equine/human first aid kit and temporary padded shoe. There would be enough grass to allow for grazing, but want extra good quality hay2B71F879-EC3A-4E84-AD68-A8D8621B5AE2.jpeg

Last edited:
Over the years every logging operation in my country has left skid roads, mine roads and trails. I access most of my country from these old access points. I build trails to connect them. I cut out the jungles. I have trails to connect seasonally closed roads and in some places, I build new trails to access places elk go.

Green horses carry chainsaws and various trail tools. They get used to the noise, being tied to trees and spending time with you. They will learn all the trails with you and will remember them step for step.

TomBono

FNG
As mentioned before I’m training to 3 year old mares to ride, and I wondering if anyone ever just packed with their horses the first year or two before trail riding them a bunch? I’ve heard of outfitters taking inexperienced horses and putting them in a packstring for the first couple seasons before they switched them over to riding. Seems like it would be a good way to introduce the horse to different areas/challenges.

Secondly, does anyone ever just lead their packhorse into the backcountry without riding them? I don’t have enough horses to pack one and ride the other. I like packing good hay/pellets, steaks, beer, good bedding, etc and can’t fit this all onto one horse. I will keep there loads under 175-215 lbs wi

Thanks
We've definitely packed a lot of colts starting out. Its an easy way to build their confidence on the trail. I wouldn't be afraid to do that. A great horse trainer did tell me he does not like doing that though. He felt it messed with their flexion. But he was putting out some high performance cow ponies (which make the best horses in the backcountry IMO).

TomBono

FNG

Thanks
Also, as someone who packs for a living, I hate walking in front of the string. I feel the safest place to be is on the back of your horse. That being said, hike those ponies in man. Use the heck out of them by whatever means necessary. I'd hike my butt off if it meant steak and a comfy bedroll at night. Do what you got to do.

I started leading a pack horse because that was all I had. However young horses are like teenagers. Wierd things can set them off. I'm less inclined to pack important/ costly items on young horses. A couple bales of hay well mannied tend to give you a cushion against emotional outbursts. Leading them with a horse also gives you an edge of resistance when they get stupid - and they will. Sometimes more exciting than you really want on a bad day.

TomBono

FNG
I started leading a pack horse because that was all I had. However young horses are like teenagers. Wierd things can set them off. I'm less inclined to pack important/ costly items on young horses. A couple bales of hay well mannied tend to give you a cushion against emotional outbursts. Leading them with a horse also gives you an edge of resistance when they get stupid - and they will. Sometimes more exciting than you really want on a bad day.
I affectionately refer to my string as "drunk teenagers" haha.