Packing out de boned meat video and tech tip thread!

I don't know if color would really make much of a difference. But keeping meat in bags that don't breath where the meat can spoil would definitely cause a weird flavor :). I have packed meat in garage bags. The key is just not to store the meat in a plastic bag for an extended amount of time. For just packing it's ok.

Last edited:

GOnDEEP

Lil-Rokslider
With most of my experience packing out meat during early season/warmer weather any extended distance you always want to let the meat first cool and then let it breath, hence game bags. Aron have you ever experienced the meat starting to spoil from lack of air getting to the meat from being inside the pack and garbage bag in warmer weather? This definitely looks a lot more secure and definitely more comfortable than what I'm use to.

I feel the same way. Ive only had the chance to try this "load shelf" way a couple of times this spring with the Metcalf and did not like any part of it. The extra time, the bulgy load, the loss of the load lifters, and centre of gravity being changed was not fun. I'm not sure why so many guys seem to want this feature. If you want to carry more stuff, buy a bigger bag.

Stone glacier does not lose functional load lifters while using the load shelf.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've never lost meat to spoilage on any hunt. Most stories I hear about loss of meat have everything to do with bad decision making and nothing to do with how it's packed out.

That's not to say that it won't happen, but with some elbow grease, pre planning/foresight, you shouldn't need to worry about packing meat inside the bag.

I shot a pretty good bull a few years ago and it took us a while to find it. It was noon the next day after the shot and probably 80 degrees. After finding the bull, we broke it down imidiatley. As it went into game bags, we hung them in the shade. After all of the bull was de boned, we hauled butt to the nearest creek and dropped the game bags into a garbage bag and submerged them. The creek was cold, so I would let the meat sit for a few hours, pull out the bag and displace the meat so nothing would sit in the middle of the game bag and collect heat. I took naps to get needed rest between breaks and after 12 hours, the meat was cold as could be .

At that point, I loaded up half the bull in my pack and hit the trail. When I got to my jeep and pulled out the meat, it was still cold, as the garbage bag was keeping all the cold inside the bag.

This was a bit of a PITA on my own, but in the long run, well worth it. Just make sure you do your best to cool the meat and let the blood drain whenever possible.

With most of my experience packing out meat during early season/warmer weather any extended distance you always want to let the meat first cool and then let it breath, hence game bags. Aron have you ever experienced the meat starting to spoil from lack of air getting to the meat from being inside the pack and garbage bag in warmer weather? This definitely looks a lot more secure and definitely more comfortable than what I'm use to.

shaun

WKR
Like Aron said planning...I live by the 7P's Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.. That saying pretty much covers everything you do in life

Stone glacier does not lose functional load lifters while using the load shelf.

I don't own a SG pack so I'm not too familiar with their entire system. I am refering to the Mystery Ranch Metcalf which I was able to use on two 5 day backpack trips, 30 plus day trips, and haul out 3 bears with it this spring. To make the loadshelf work with the Metcalf the load lifter attachment has to be changed, plus the internal frame extention gets pulled away from the frame loosing its connection with the frame making it's usefulness non exsistance.

When I bought the Metcalf it was for its simple design and streamline profile and not for the load shelf ability. After using it this spring, I think it is a great pack and will be using it on all my day hunts this fall, but I will definitely be loading all the gear and meat inside the bag.

Last edited:

Tiger Rag

WKR
I just posted this on another thread, but I figured it was the time of year to talk about this anyway!

First off, there's IS a right and wrong way to pack out meat, BUT, there's also several right ways and several wrong ways (hope that makes sense).

Anyway, it doesn't matter if you're packing meat between the bag and frame, or inside the bag....JUST MAKE SURE THE HEAVY IS ELEVATED AND AGAINST YOUR BACK!

Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch and Kuiu all offer the option of packing meat between the bag and frame, but you can also pack it inside the bag.

This video shows the way that I prefer to do it, but other hunters that are successful like the sandwich style system too.

So if YOU have packed out an animal before and can share some info, PLEASE post it up on this thread for FNG's to learn from.

[video=youtube;HpFi3S3ynYQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpFi3S3ynYQ[/video]

Thanks for the Video Aron! This really helps relate a lot of your backpack guidance you were giving me over the phone the other day. As a once a year western hunter and not being able to do this sort of thing week in week out, this should help me plan my purchase of a pack and get the meat out if I'm fortunate enough.

2ski

WKR
As far as the color of the garbage bag goes, I could see the clear garbage bags letting in more light, thus heating up the meat more, while the dark garbage bags would insulate against light more. Of course how much light would your meat see inside the pack. Same thing with beer. Clear/green glass beer heats up faster. Brown bottles don't. The lessons we can learn from beer. I should go get one right now and "learn" some more.

color of garbage bag discussion?.... what does Aron call this again? Picking fly shit out of chili? hahaha

Its only going to be in there for a few hours, just don't use your frilly febreeze scent control bags and you'll probably be ok. Besides, aren't we typically talking about contractor grade bags? I don't think I have seen them in any color but black.

JOe

Bobmuley

FNG
I still see very little reason not to have the meat shelf available.

I think if one loads it up the same except for the one layer of fabric's difference to the front or back would be an infinitesimal difference in feet.

The pain-in-the-azzedness of setting up the shelf would be offset by the pain-in-the-azzedness of having to dig beyond the meat for anything or camping during pack outs (particularly for the High Camp/Terminus packs).

I don't think they're like spinner wheels at all...more like bead lock rims. Few people need them very often, but are a godsend when you do.

BOB, I agree. I think that if packed correctly, the sandwich method can be almost every bit as good. I think that is especially true if you have a DT# or similar smaller pack with only your day-pack stuff in it.

The problem is that it is way easier to keep the weight up high and much quicker to load properly in the bag. I typically have always put between the frame and bag (mostly with a nice frame....) but it was a PITA to get it to stay put and in the proper place, especially without the bones in. Once I had it right, it carried like a dream.... well, a mystery ranch dream that is ;)

Joe

GOnDEEP

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Aron, good to know as your video definitely looks much more comfortable than my current setup. There's no doubt in warm weather getting that meat off the bone and cooled, when miles back, is the first necessity. Good stuff.

Rabbit Ranger

Lil-Rokslider
Quick tip from previous experience with the Kifaru meat baggies.

As you know they will leak at the seams, so instead of carrying a garbage bag in addition to the meat baggie I seam sealed them just like yo do the tarps and tents with Silicone II. The trick is to turn them inside out and stuff them plum full to get the seems fully stretched out and then apply the seam sealer. Following that, I filled them with water to check for leaks; touched up a couple of spots and was good to go. It worked like a champ this past year with my son's cow elk pack out; no blood on my gear!

littlebuf

Banned
First off, there's IS a right and wrong way to pack out meat, BUT, there's also several right ways and several wrong ways (hope that makes sense).

couldn't agree with this more. ive done both the right way and wrong way, theres pretty well only one way to find out your doing it wrong. I will add theres no such thing as a fun way. it all sucks

littlebuf

Banned
I remember watching this video when you first put it out on the kifaru web site. I still laugh mid vid when you go to load the meet saying 65# and then "oof maybe a little more" been there. I still always tell myself its lighter than it is, mind over matter right