Pack weight??

Ramshead

Lil-Rokslider
Last year on a sheep/goat hunt I was at 47 lbs for 9 days, excluding rifle and water only. The 47 lbs included 17 lbs of food and 2 lbs caping salt.

charvey9

WKR
I haven't weighed in awhile, but last year I was at 32lbs with 2 liters of water and 2 days of food for me 2 day out and backs and I think about 39lbs with food for a week.

...I agree it can be a bad idea for a new guy to try and go too light and thus not bring things they might need. But that is not something anyone should be learning during the season anyway.

Jumping on Justin's comment here, I have never understood why people don't make practice trips with their gear in the offseason so they know how the weight feels, if their pack rides well, and what they actually do need for a multi-day trip. You can learn all of this by going to your local campground.
~ Walk or drive to your campsite,
~ Then with your pack on your back hike on the local hiking trails for an hour or two to see how the weight feels and how your pack rides,
~ After that, set up your campsite like you plan to in your hunting area,
~ Hike around the campground up and down hills, if they have them, with your daypack on,
~ Sit on a hillside with your spotting gear and watching whatever is in the woods around you for an hour or two,
~ Then return to camp to cook your evening meal,
~ Then clean up your gear for the day and prepare for tomorrow,
~ Then head to bed and see what works and what doesn't in terms of temperature and comfort, try out that sleeping bag liner to see if it really does help or should be left at home. Check to see if your sleeping pad deflates halfway through the night. Does sleeping with socks/knit cap/gloves help or not.
~ Get up the next day and do it all over again with different gear tests.

Larry

Hardway

FNG
I had a buddy that wanted to go to colorado with me last year. I said no problem...but you have to do a couple of shake down hikes with all your gear or no go. Good thing I did those hikes brought out some pain full short commings in his gear.

Mike7

WKR
These threads are always funny when people post extremely low pack weights, but when you get into the details, they aren't counting binoculars, weapons, etc. because they are not inside the pack so to speak.

I know personally, over the past several years, I have been able to go from a solo pack wt of about 59-65 lbs for 5 days (with 3 L of water and about 8 lbs of food and everything else included except the clothes I am wearing and trekking poles) down to 48-54 lbs for 5 days depending upon the time of year and whether I have a spotting scope...and this decrease feels a lot better to me. At this weight, I am not generally feeling like I have left anything at the trailhead which might affect my comfort level or safety potentially.

Jumping on Justin's comment here, I have never understood why people don't make practice trips with their gear in the offseason so they know how the weight feels, if their pack rides well, and what they actually do need for a multi-day trip. You can learn all of this by going to your local campground.
~ Walk or drive to your campsite,
~ Then with your pack on your back hike on the local hiking trails for an hour or two to see how the weight feels and how your pack rides,
~ After that, set up your campsite like you plan to in your hunting area,
~ Hike around the campground up and down hills, if they have them, with your daypack on,
~ Sit on a hillside with your spotting gear and watching whatever is in the woods around you for an hour or two,
~ Then return to camp to cook your evening meal,
~ Then clean up your gear for the day and prepare for tomorrow,
~ Then head to bed and see what works and what doesn't in terms of temperature and comfort, try out that sleeping bag liner to see if it really does help or should be left at home. Check to see if your sleeping pad deflates halfway through the night. Does sleeping with socks/knit cap/gloves help or not.
~ Get up the next day and do it all over again with different gear tests.

Larry

LOL, hey "Joe" wanna go "play" hunting this weekend?

gelton

WKR
I have no idea what my pack weighs but think its north of 50lbs for 8 days, maybe even north of 60. One day I am gonna weigh myself before and after donning the pack with gear just to find out exactly how much I am really carrying. I do know that I have trimmed weight considerably since my first trip out though.

OP
AK Troutbum
Man I wish I trained with those cool sandbags :(.

I use 1 gallon water jugs with 60-70lbs but pour a couple out for my downhill mountain descents. Too much wear and tear on my knees
I do the exact same thing when training. The stuff that I always carry in my pack probably weighs around 25-30 lbs. than throw in several gallons of water for up the mountain and pour it out before heading back down.

Baby Huey

FNG
I was at 77lbs for a 10 day rifle mule deer hunt. Everything included - water amount for the trip in was 2L. Used a luggage scale to determine total pack weight before hitting the trail.

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
3 years ago i was right at 65# all up going sheep hunting for 10 days. That's rifle, 3L water, binos etc. if I have to carry it, it counts IMO. I have spent lots of money lightening my gear/rifle since, now I just pack more crap...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I was 38 pounds all up and Becca was just under 30 for a week long Grizz hunt in 2013 that water, rifle, binos, and trekking poles and everything I clided but base layers and shoes and socks on our feet ! But usually with spotter and tripod and gamebags and other things on most hunting trips our pack weights are 10 pounds or more than that usually on most hunts.

OP
AK Troutbum
3 years ago i was right at 65# all up going sheep hunting for 10 days. That's rifle, 3L water, binos etc. if I have to carry it, it counts IMO. I have spent lots of money lightening my gear/rifle since, now I just pack more crap...

I used to be the same way and, I remember an old timer once asking me how much my pack weighed right before I went on a sheep hunt. When I told him, he said something to the effect of "Oh, with that heavy of a pack, you must be a newbie at this." I got to say, I was a little offended about that but, in all actuality, I was a newbie. From that point on I did whatever my budget would allow me to do to bye better, lighter gear to reduce the weight of my pack, but my pack weight never seemed to go down because I ended up always just bringing more gear, feature comforts and what not. After several trips and unpacking and, seeing that there was a lot of stuff that I brought "just in case", and didn't use, I decided to start leaving things out of my pack. Now I feel like I only bring just the absolute bare necessities, my gear is the best and lightest that I can afford, and my pack weight has gone down considerably. I never feel like I should've brought something or could've really used something that I didn't bring.. I'm sure my pack's not perfect but, I'll continue to keep working on it. My back also continues to thank me for my efforts.

Last edited:

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
I actually pack very minimalist, no creature comforts other than some black tea (had to give up coffee, sigh). Most of the weight that has gone into my bag is things I never hunted with growing up - binos, spotter, camera, plb etc. my pack list mostly consists of food, rifle, worn clothes, sleeping gear, puffy, socks etc. I have cut a lot of weight since then (spent quite a bit too) lost 2.5# off my rifle, and 3.5 off my pack, 2.5 from the sleep system, etc. so when I say I pack more now it's thing most people here think are mandatory and I have just recently started packing along. Growing up if it didn't fit into my pockets it didn't go, now I take a 7400 cubic inch pack for a walk around the block! Haha.

I was at 49lbs last year with water, so take off 6 lbs of that.

This year I'm dropping nearly 4lbs of food, my tripod, a camp chair, and I have upgraded my sleep system so I'm looking at about 40lbs with water and I have plenty of creature comforts and spare gear. I don't really feel that I'm minimalist at all.

does anyone keep notes or past years gear lists?
i do and just recently was looking back through some. i found it damn funny, my 3 day pack back in august of 2012 weighed like 2lbs more than my pack did for 9 days last year archery elk in CO.

Manosteel

WKR
I always keep pack lists. I have one going back 7 years ago, before I learned about all the backountry specific gear that is absolutely hilarious for its weight/function. Each year my pack has gotten a little lighter biggest weight cut was about 3 years ago, drop about 20 lbs but gained a tone of functionality and comfort.

Here is last years elk hunt list

PACK LIST & WEIGHT

Pack:
Kifaru - Bikini/Timberline 1 (modified cut + Kifaru hydro bag) = 84.5
Grab-it and 1 lash strap = 6.4
Hip belt pockets (1oz each ) = 2
Kifaru large side pocket = 6
Gun Bearer = 4
Sub-total weight 102.9

Tent and Shelter:
Borah Bivy side zip = 7
Mountain Shelter LT w spikes/lines/bag/stove jack = 35
Sub-total weight 46

Sleeping:
Enlightned Qulit Rev-X 20* w straps = 25.5
Hyalite Equip Classic AC pad = 15.9
Water proof ultra-light stuff sack = 2.7
Sub-total weight 41.4

Cooking:
Primus E-pressStove / GSI Pinnacle Solist Set pot/cup = 12
1 small (100g) Jetboil fuel canister = 7.1
Spork = 0.4
Sub-total weight 19.5

Water:
500 ml Gatorade bottle= 1.6
4 liter MSR Dromlight Bag water blader/hose = 6.3
Sawyer 3-Way Inline Water Filter = 2
6 liter platypus water tank = 4.4
Sub-total weight 14.3

Safety Gear:
Emergancy & First Aid Bag [ pullout: whistle/compas/matches; Zebralight hdlmp; ducktape; sling; tensor bandage; Wire saw: cotton firstr ; space blk;,zipties, 2 bic lighter, water-purf pills; pinkilrs, ointment, alcohol wipes, cotten bandage, moleskin ] = 16.5
Headlamp w/1 AA batteries - Zebralight 502 = 2.6
Delorme Inreach Device w/ lithium batteries = 8.2
Sub-total weight 27.3

Trophy Care:
Kill Kit
• Custom Medium PullOut = 0.5
• Havalon Piranta-Edge knife = 1.5
6 Piranta-Edge replacement blades = 0.6
• 6 T.A.G. BOMB Game Bags = 9.3
• Silnylon Meat Baggie = 1.7
• Roll of marking ribbon = 1.4
• 26ft section of orange mil spec 550 cord = 2.3
• Citric acid spray kit= 2.9
• 3 sets of latex gloves = 1
Sub-total weight 21.2

Hygiene Kit:
Custom Small pullout = 0.3
Lip Balm = 0.4
Travel Tooth Brush & Tooth Paste = 1.2
Contact case & solution = 2
Extra contacts w/case = 0.4
Glasses/soft case = 1
Dehydrated sea to sumit Soap sheets = 0.4
scent-free deorderant(small) = 1.2
Sub-total weight 6.9

Rain Gear:
APUC level Gore-tex Ultralight Rain Jacket = 17.8
Maxprotect Rain Pant = 6.5
Light Weight Gore-Tex Gaitors = 10.5
Sub-total weight 34.4

Misc Items:
Olympus TG- Camera/case/cord = 10.3
Samsung SG4 + cord = 6
Bruton Resync Battery = 9.5
Gerber Tactical Multitool = 2.2
mini sharpner = 0.6
Tobbaco = 1
1 Industrial Size Black Garbage Bags.= 2.8
Silnylon pack rain cover/tarp = 5
Windchecker = 0.8
Extra batteries 4AA 3 watch size = 2
Lens cloth = 0.2
Baby Wipes non-scented (25 sheets) = 1.9
1 roll tp = 1.3
26ft section of green mil spec 550 cord = 2.2
X-small LED hat light= 0.5
NECK Knife= 2.3
Zrest seat pad (use as scope cover) = 2.2
(Sub-total – 51)

Komperdell Power Lock Treking poles= 18
pack towel = 1.8
Primus micronlatern = 4.1
Internal Knee pads = 1
Bow fix kit (wax, d-loop, serving, FP,blunts) = 1.7
face paint = 1.2
Elk calls = 6 (+33.8)
Sub-total weight 84.8

Optics:
KOWA Promiare 8x33 & Kuiu bino case = 27
Lepould RX1000 TBR Rangefinder = 7
Sub-total weight 34

BASE PACK WEIGHT 406.9 (25lbs 6.9oz)

Everything is in ounces unless stated otherwise in brackets. I have given my baseline pack weight which is always the same when ever I go out hunting for more than one night. The other weights are optional items or changing items like food that are time dependent. The last weights are what I walk in with on my body.

Clothing - Optional:
1 Darn tough Trekking Socks = 3
1 merino wool liner socks = 1.4
Hiking Underwear (Jocks – 1 pair) = 3.1
Kuiu Merino 145 base layer Top (Lg) = 7
APX L1 SCENT-STP LITE BASE LAYER BtM (M) = 6.6
Kryptek Katos Primoaloft jacket = 18.8
Gloves – (1 pair) = 1.9
Gloves Lobster warm = 2.5
KUIU Guide bennie = 1
KUIU Neck Gator = 0.8
Sub-total weight 46.1

BASE PACK WEIGHT + CLOTHES (4-7 DAYS) 460.6 (28lbs 12.6 oz)

This layering system when added to what I walk in to the bush with is good for up to 7 days easy up until mid-September at which point I add my Katos vest. End of September or early October I add my Kuiu Guide Jacket and pants.

Optics – Optional:
Vortex Summit SS Tripod = 28
KOWA 602 Spotting scope + Te9z 20x60 eye piece = 33
Bino adapter for tripod = 1
Sub-total weight 62 (3lbs 15oz)

BASE PACK WEIGHT + CLOTHES + SPOTTER = 523.4 (32lbs 11.4 oz)

Food:
1.2 to 1.5 lbs per day.

Water:
4 liters per day (64 oz)

Food and water will add anywhere from 3-12 lbs depending on duration of hunt, water not usually an issue where I hunt so I usually just fill as I go and only keep about 2 liters on me.

Weapon:
Roughly 6-1/2 lbs

Usually carry my bow / or rifle the odd time I use one.

[B NOT COUNTED[/B]
Clothes on body:
Boots:

Each hunt will require a little different gear and I have lists for all my hunts (helps me not forget packing stuff - if you can believe about 10 years ago I forgot my arrows) but this is generally what my pack weighs and it works for me. I also usually hunt solo but when I have a partner we do spilt some gear up so weight goes down but then again I end up packing a stove when hunting with someone so its a give and take.

I also add a Kifaru stove after September or if it is raining/snowing a lot. This year will be adding/subtracting gear as I always do, new sleeping pad/ grabbed a Golite SL5 with a Bearpaw customized pyranet - (spring bear hunt where bugs will be bad) picked up Golite poncho that will replace my tarp/raincover and may replace my rain gear for Aug/early sept hunts etc..

Last edited: