Pack too large?

Squincher

WKR
Would there be any real problem with using one pack for everything? I looked at Mystery Ranck packs at Scheels this weekend and it looked like even the largest packs would compress down to almost nothing. So would I be missing anything using the same pack for multi-day hunts and one day jaunts?

No. I haven't seen a downside to using one big bag for everything, assuming that the bags compresses well. And, some strap keepers are really helpful. I've been on a lot of day hunts where I've decided to throw in an extra layer or something like that and I don't have to worry about fitting everything. I've never wished my pack was smaller.

Drenalin

W.KR
I was worried about this when I ordered my EXO. With how well the 3200 compresses down for day hunting, I now wish I had gotten the 4800 so I'd have the extra space when I need it. I don't have any experience with any of the big pack makers other than EXO, but imagine most of them compress well enough that it isn't an issue.

hikenhunt

WKR
Its usually a small weight penalty for much more capacity. As long as you actually wind up using that capacity, its worth it!

Never had a problem using a bigger bag for day hunts except I find myself taking more luxuries as I have the room for them!😁

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same thoughts before getting my selway 60 before the 2020 seasons. It’s been on 3 day hunts this year, totaling about 24 miles compressed and I’ve had zero regrets for having a bigger pack then necessary. It’s nice to know that should the need arise, there’s plenty of space to put layers/meat etc. On this weekends Javelina Hunt, the guy I was hunting with emptied his pack (just a small dry bag strapped to his cabinet frame) and out the pig on, and I threw his stuff in my pack and out we went. Scenarios like that make me a believer in using a bigger than necessary pack

ramses342

FNG
I went from the Kifaru MMR in my picture to a Nomad 2 and have been happy with that. I would rather have a day pack which can turn into an overnight pack than carry around the extra weight of the MMR pack. I also am a chronic over packer so having less space helps.

I use my K3 4800 for everything from squirrel to big game. I like that I get to know the pack very well, since it is all I use. Modern packs compress so well, they make very good day packs.

*zap*

WKR
I went from the Kifaru MMR in my picture to a Nomad 2 and have been happy with that. I would rather have a day pack which can turn into an overnight pack than carry around the extra weight of the MMR pack. I also am a chronic over packer so having less space helps.

I am really happy with the layout/functionality of the mmr in that picture, the material is very heavy duty which contributes to the weight penalty. Seems to me that my amr material is probably 50% lighter, mmr would be perfect for me if it was offered in the lighter weight material and a couple of changes to the design. But, all in all I am happy with that mmr bag.
If someone want's a bigger bag that can size down easily and is still very light I would look at SG.
I wonder if Kifaru custom makes bags by order?

I agree with the comments relating to temptation to overpack. I think this should just be a factor if you are concerned about weight. For me the the more I can lower my pack weight the less stress on my body, especially when the time comes to add meat. Myself and a lot of people I work with (backpacking not hunting) by the smallest packs we can to restrict the abilty to throw a few extra things in and be thoughtful with what we are taking.

I've been on a 12 day solo backpacking trip with a 4000ci pack. No optics or weapons though

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
For myself I prefer having the extra space for the very slight weight penalty. The design and “features” of a bag have a lot more to do with the weight than the extra material (a good example is the kifaru muskeg line, the 7000ci is 5.2oz more than the 2800ci). The volume I need for a 5 day early september hunt is maybe half of what it would be as compared to a 5 day november hunt with taking a warmer bag, warmer layers, different tent, etc. There’s always the guy who can do a 15 day hunt from a fanny pack and guys who use up all 10,000ci for an overnighter but aim somewhere in the middle and youll be ok.

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
I might be in the minority, but I found using my 5200 Icon Pro annoying on one day hunts. Everything obviously sinks to the bottom and it’s a chore to get things out. I had to tighten all the straps to keep the material from flopping around, but loosen them to dig anything out. I’ve been much happier with separate bags (currently a 2200 and 5500).

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes you have no choice but run a bigger pack for Day mode. I get flown in for 10 day sheep hunts with a SG 6900 and lots of times we set up camp and day hunt, Its good that it compresses decently but still a pain sometimes. That's why I use solo 3300 when day hunting around home as its much more easily managed. The answer to your question to me is no, Too big is way better then too small and not fitting it all in your pack. The goal to hunting is always adding an extra 40-400lbs of meat to your pack. In saying that the new Kifaru Ma deuce is really enticing me (y)