Pack Recommendations **TOO MANY OPTIONS**

slatty

WKR
Great advice from others and good luck with your hunts.
Given the needs you've listed in your OP and wanting to have a quick "bail out" pack in addition to your pack, have a good bino harness (for license, knife, ammo, a few essentials) and then just your pack. Don't need to worry about pulling a lid off your pack in the heat of the moment. I'm amazed how much stuff fits in my AGC bino harness.

OP
H

HaaseAZ

FNG
Great advice from others and good luck with your hunts.
Given the needs you've listed in your OP and wanting to have a quick "bail out" pack in addition to your pack, have a good bino harness (for license, knife, ammo, a few essentials) and then just your pack. Don't need to worry about pulling a lid off your pack in the heat of the moment. I'm amazed how much stuff fits in my AGC bino harness.
I like that idea a lot actually. Especially considering my bono harness stays on me at all times.

WKR
I have the kuiu icon pro, mystery ranch mule and seek outside unaweep plus various eberlestock pack. I am really impressed with the Seek outside, it seems to fit the best with minimal adjustment. I use the mule for a day pack and unaweep for everything else. It is a good option to look into.

aion2come

WKR
You'll regret that 9 lbs in a hurry. I promise you that. Lots of better options. Full disclosure, my buddy took an ALPS pack on one of our hunts and, due to no load lifters, he could hardly take the pack out. He told me afterwards that he understood why I encouraged him to get a higher end pack.

MThuntr

WKR
I have been using the EXO 3500 K2 since it came out. I've carried several 5 day hunt trips with it although it gets a little cramped. I've used the loadshelf to carry moose quarters, several elk, 3 antelope, and untold numbers of deer. I really like it and the only thing I wish I would have done is buy the 5500 for a bit more space for longer trips. I don't think you can go wrong. My only suggestion is if you do buy it order some small organizer bags so you can separate things out inside the main compartment a bit.

Perrin713

FNG
I hunt Montana once a year and purchased a Eberlestock X2. After two trips out west I've decided to upgrade. Carrying my typical day load daily killed my shoulders. Purchased a Kifaru pack system and cannot wait for delivery. Don't chinch out on a pack!

Based upon your needs and the fact you were looking at a MR Metcalf and the Alps pack. I would recommended you look at the MR Glacier, Terraplane and Terraframe 80.

My son and I are both using the Glacier. It’s rated to 110-115 as is the Terraplane. The Glacier is about the same size as the Metcalf but has the pockets you wanted for organization that the Metcalf doesn’t. You are giving up some weight carrying capacity and the load shelf. I bought the Kifaru Grabit if I get an elk. I would put the quaters in the main pack with a contractor bag to keep the blood off and move the contents in a stuff bag and hold it with the GrabIt. All for less than 1/2 of what a Metcalf costs. Then the terraframe 80 is rated for 150 lbs with a load shelf but only 450 and slightly larger with better organization than the Metcalf. The Terraplane is on sale at Moosejaw.com and they offer10% towards your next purchase in points and often up to 35% also if you don’t have an active junky account get one and you will earn cash back of 10%or more. By using the points last year I was able to buy the pack and a couple other things and buy with the points my Big Agnes sleeping bag and a Nemo air mattress it saved me almost $300

This is a picture of my son last week when we were in Colorado about to do a creek crossing wearing his Glacier. He is 6’5 with a 23” torso.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
071f47b030f0a3064c63d78943e32cf6.jpg

Last edited:
i’m here in AZ as well. It’s not what your asking but i’ve found using individual bags inside my larger bag has tremendously helped me stay organized and can go through my things faster. Go used if that’s your price point. I was in the same boat. Day hikes/hunts and overnights i run a kifaru apollo with a guide lid. Anything more than that i run a mountain warrior as it does have a few pockets and compresses down really small if needed. there are deals to be had if you keep your eyes peeled.

Great suggestions on here to buy best quality used glass and packs. Both
Can be sold used at no or not much of a loss if you want to try something else. This is important if you are not exactly sure what you want/need.
This is from experience I could have saved thousands of dollars over the last five or ten years as I upgraded into better and better gear. I paid a lot out for new middle of the road equipment when I could of bought the very best used for same or very little more.everyones different but I need to be 90-100% satisfied with my gear. Or I aint happy.

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
Alps commander x extreme hybrid is a good choice in that price range. 45 L bag on a external frame with meat shelf.
Commander x extreme is a larger version with removable lid that turns into a fanny pack
Horn hunter also comes to mind. A frame with removable day pack that has it's own shoulder straps.
All three have a frame, meat shelf, load lifters, rifle/ bow holders, belt pouches, and the two alps packs come with rain covers.

GregJ

FNG
Im here in Az as well and dont need a backpack hunt type bag very often. I went with a kifaru nomad as it carries a heavy rifle really well under the bag against the frame. I like it so far. Always trade offs though with anything