pack questions

The Stone Glacier packs are very adjustable. The straps attach to the frame by Velcro allowing the user micro adjustments. Therefore, if you have a long/short torso it doesn't matter as you can adjust it to fit YOU. Plus you'll get first hand customer service from Kurt himself. He's very responsive to customer service inquiries / questions.

I've owned and packed out animals with several different packs and can say that Kifaru and SG are the two that I've used that when packing out a load I'm not hating life.

Randle

WKR
Where will you be hunting? For me noise is a big factor for where I hunt, we get a response from a bull we go after it and some times we are crawling thru some pretty nasty N Idaho jungle, A pack with softer quieter material is a must. for me anyway
I have had people say they have never had a hunt ruined by noisy material , I have. Last year The bull I killed I had at 8 feet while trying to move in on the herd bull. It was too brushy for a shot then
With no shot there I did kill him 2 days later, I know that would not happen with a nylon pack or noisy clothes. I will pack a little extra wieght for quieter material.
So for where I hunt the HH works very well, most of the time I am a 2 pack guy I am in 3-5 miles and pack first load out hunting with a smaller pack like badlands or an X2, then switch to the HH for the rest. If I am going in further for long then 3 -4 days I will go with just the HH with a large dry bag.
Have you read Arons article on picking the right pack? H e talks about alot of different aspects like how he is a beast packing while others are a multiple load out guys, thats where I fit more trips lighter loads, I t may help you chose.

Last edited:

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I've looked at that one, the Mystery Ranch Crewcab, and the Horn Hunter full curl system. They all look like they will do everything that I want and need. So the big question will be which one fits me better. Have to decide if I want to shell out a couple grand and try them all on and see which one I like the best.

I have had both the Crew Cab/Metcalf Nice frame( with lift kit) and now the Nomad/ High Camp 4800 duplex frame. Some trips just need an enclosed bag. I had a HC 7000 bag and sold it as it was way more than I needed or wanted to pack.
The Nomad is much more versatile than the Crew cab was. I can expand it to 8400 CI without a lot of effort. I am currently using my load cells from the crew cab but I will end up with a camp bag to go with my longhunter lid and Grab-it 2. You can load some stuff on the nomad set up!
The MR stuff is heavier but make no mistake Both MR and Kifaru make quality,well built, gear.
I cannot speak for SG or EXO
I think if you call Aron @ Kifaru, get him the right information about your size and needs. I know He will make it his personal goal to get you set up with the right gear.
Good Luck with your search

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. I have read Arons article about picking a pack. Not sure what I'll end up hunting in, but I would prefer something quiet. After watching a bunch of Kifaru videos on you tube I'm sure I could get the duplex frame to fit me. Too many choices. I will probably wait a month or two and see what comes out this spring. I'm still interested in the HH if they have torso adjustments on the new pack, mostly because I'm a penny pincher and it's half the price and I can't find much bad about it. I don't mind spending money on quality gear. I would say that I'm going to be a more trip person, having never packed out an elk.

ElwoodUT

FNG
I would also highly recommend the Horn Hunter Full Curl System or Combo. The new design for 2015 is going to be incredible. I have mine on order right now but I have used the Full Curl for years.
Make sure that you weigh in the warranty factor. Horn Hunter has the best warranty there is and even after you give your pack to your son ten years later they will cover it no questions asked.
I honestly think that the HH Full Curl is worth much more than its retail price. Plus it is Made in the USA!

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
I would also highly recommend the Horn Hunter Full Curl System or Combo. The new design for 2015 is going to be incredible. I have mine on order right now but I have used the Full Curl for years.
Make sure that you weigh in the warranty factor. Horn Hunter has the best warranty there is and even after you give your pack to your son ten years later they will cover it no questions asked.
I honestly think that the HH Full Curl is worth much more than its retail price. Plus it is Made in the USA!

Do you know how I can get a new 2015 catalog? The website doesn't have the new pack on it, and no option for a catalog. I've messaged them twice in a week and no reply. Not sure how I feel about that, the other companies get back to me. I do like the looks of the pack, but it needs to be adjustable to make it fit me, and I can't find any info online about it. Just your posts on other forums that they have a new pack coming out. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

ElwoodUT

FNG
Do you know how I can get a new 2015 catalog? The website doesn't have the new pack on it, and no option for a catalog. I've messaged them twice in a week and no reply. Not sure how I feel about that, the other companies get back to me. I do like the looks of the pack, but it needs to be adjustable to make it fit me, and I can't find any info online about it. Just your posts on other forums that they have a new pack coming out. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

The 2015 catalog literally just barely came out so that is why it is kind of hard to get your hands on. They actually aren't going to have the new design of the Full Curl fully up and running until late March. Sorry for any confusion there but it will be well worth the wait.

I don't know why they wouldn't have gotten back to you. Every time I email them they get right back to me, what email have you been using? When you have questions you can email Ed directly at [email protected] and he will get back to you right away. Or call them and Allison will answer the phone 801-562-8712.

Also if you have any other questions, I know quite a bit about their packs and accessories.

Last edited:
OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
The 2015 catalog literally just barely came out so that is why it is kind of hard to get your hands on. They actually aren't going to have the new design of the Full Curl fully up and running until late March. Sorry for any confusion there but it will be well worth the wait.

I don't know why they wouldn't have gotten back to you. Every time I email them they get right back to me, what email have you been using? When you have questions you can email Ed directly at [email protected] and he will get back to you right away. Or call them and Allison will answer the phone 801-562-8712.

Also if you have any other questions, I know quite a bit about their packs and accessories.

Thanks for the email. I've been using the message thing on the website. Maybe that is why I haven't gotten a response.