Pack in Elk Hunters

for the guys that pack into the backcountry, are you picky and will only shoot big bulls with the thought that it's gotta be a bigun to make it worth the effort to pack out? i know i know, whats the definition of big? answer, whatever you think is big. have you ever packed a small bull or cow out from miles back in?

When I am 4 hours hike out DOWNHILL then I won't settle for a cow. I have areas that I can get into to fill a tag on a cow and get her our easier. But even being in that far I would have to think HARD about passing on a 5X.

ElkNut1

WKR
3 miles+ back in, no spikes & definitely not a cow! Maybe on the last day!!(grin) Generally 5 point or better to make it worth the pack we'll have ahead of us! We came up with this self imposed rule many years back. Pack out bulls in the 5-7 mile range on your back with no roads or trails in steep rough downfall country & you'll have a set of standards too! (grin) Weather hot/cold can be a deciding factor as well as the distance!

ElkNut1

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not picky when it comes to a bull and I don't think I would shoot a cow back where I'm at. Saying that I did have a hunting partner last year that shot a cow about as far back as we ever have been. Havn't seen him turn down a shot on anything yet.

Oh wait I did hold his arm one year on a really small bull way back. I still hear bout that one.

Now saying this I have two freezers full from many sucessfull hunts last year so I could be a bit picky......................nah.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
My hunting partners and I have a hole we hunt where it better be "near" that 300 mark or better. I shiver just thinking about it.

We have taken some little guys out of spots we shouldn't have, but we can usually walk the stock right to 'em.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
i don't care what it is. i'm there to kill an animal and enjoy the views. cow, spike, 5x it doesn't matter in my group. I think it's why we stick together. i know guys would get pissed hauling a cow out 4 or 5 miles, but we're all fine with it.

HCH88

FNG
well the unit i hunt is 3pt or better so.... if its three point or better im killin it. small bull taste good too!

dotman

WKR
I will but that is because i live 800 miles from elk country and it may be my only chance for elk meat. I think a lot of the guys that can pass also live much closer for quick day or weekend trips.

vcb

WKR
It's a 5x5 or better for me. If I dont shoot a bull the entire season I'm ok with that too. Didn't shoot a bull last year but had some crazy encounters. One with the biggest 6x6 I have ever seen in the woods. Had him at 60yds with no shot oppertunity. As long as I have some meat in the chest freezer encounters like that make it all ok.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
i don't care what it is. i'm there to kill an animal and enjoy the views. cow, spike, 5x it doesn't matter in my group. I think it's why we stick together. i know guys would get pissed hauling a cow out 4 or 5 miles, but we're all fine with it.

Spot on! Same here. If it trips my trigger and is legal, THWAAACK! The hauling is part of it. I shot a 5x5 on a solo hunt in NM 2010. Took me a whole day just to get him back to camp from where I killed him. From camp out it was another 6 miles one way.....it was tough, but I wouldn't do it any differently again!

TJ

WKR
When I am back in deep and solo it's a 6X or nothin. I've passed on several 5X5's.
I have places where I can get them right next to a road if I choose too (wallow and treestand).
I have much more fun in the backcountry though.

Last edited:
A little different take here. I haven't drawn a permit for a bull in my unit yet so it has only been cows or spikes. I have brought 1 spike and two cows out from 7 miles deep. They eat really well and I would do it again in a heart beat!

Spot on! Same here. If it trips my trigger and is legal, THWAAACK! The hauling is part of it. I shot a 5x5 on a solo hunt in NM 2010. Took me a whole day just to get him back to camp from where I killed him. From camp out it was another 6 miles one way.....it was tough, but I wouldn't do it any differently again!

BOOM BABY! If I was worried about the pack, I would not go in. Either way, you are packing meat. The only time I hold out is if I am in a limited entry unit. Other than that, I'm givin any legal elk the shaft!

G Posik

WKR
I am shooting a long bow and every thing that I shoot with it is a trophy for me. So I will only haul a trophy out from 1 foot in the woods to 100 miles.

Glenn

I take what the good Lord puts in front of me. If I can see the bull I may pass on a cow. We don't eat the antlers in my family. Any elk down is good for me.

ckleeves

WKR
When my brother and I were in our late teens we would kill any elk, anywhere. After packing more cows and small bulls than I care to count out of hell holes, we both think before we send the arrow. And we agree on what we will shoot when we split up in the morning. If one of us does shoot something smaller than what was agreed on there is a good chance he is in for a solo pack out which really makes it easy to let the little guys walk!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
At least a solid 5 pt before i send an arrow or pull the trigger at this stage of the game,