Pack hipbelt upgrade

I have an older Kelty external frame pack that has a lumbar pad and a hipbelt that is attached inside the lumbar with a patch of heavy duty velcro. The velcro is on the back side of the belt, facing away from the user.

Here are pics of the belt:

IMG_0258.jpgIMG_0259.jpg

Here's a pic of the lumbar pad, behind which the hipbelt attaches via velcro:

IMG_0257.jpg

The pack seems to be a really good old pack with a solid frame that is narrower and probably stronger than the typical trekker frame, and hipbelt is good up to a point. At about 40 pounds I wish it was better, though. The comfort is simply not there - it's an old fashioned belt. The velcro itself has never been an issue and load transfer seems very solid even with much heavier loads.

I'm wondering if there are any available higher end hipbelts that would work with this setup with or without some modifications. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
Other than a Kifaru belt which, to me at least, is maybe the gold standard for belts, the Osprey belt is very comfortable. I retrofitted a couple of packs with them back before the dedicated hunting pack folks caught up. If I recall correctly I think the Osprey is called Isoform, very comfortable and has power pulls. It has a velcro patch which may or may not be in the location you need it. You can google up several choices from about $20 - $40.

Good luck,
Paladin

westco24

FNG
Check out belts offered by Hill People Gear and Seek Outside. The HPG will slip through that opening in lumbar pad. SO attaches a different way, but could also work. I did also order a different size belt for a Mystery Ranch pack and they attach with velcro like you have there.