Pack/Gear Shakedown

- Laird instant latte
- Peak peaches and oats split up between the days adding protein scoop and creatine
- (4) fruit snacks
- (2) gummy bears
- nature valley wafer
- (1) beef jerky
- (1) pistachios
- ramen noodles
- peak meal
- (2) gatorlyte packets
- (1) instant coffee

That’s the general list. Some days have grits, different bar, ramen swapped out, different peak each day. So plus or minus on all the macros and calories. I’m 160-165lb for reference.
That gonna be enough calories? I bet you're burning 5kcal/day or more depending on how you're hunting. When I'm in the mountains I have to force feed carbs or I wear out on day 2-3 and have zero energy. When we base camp I'm doing 6k+/day with a lot of pasta and rice at night. I'm 205ish lbs though so maybe my meter is not calibrated for someone who's 165.

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
That gonna be enough calories? I bet you're burning 5kcal/day or more depending on how you're hunting. When I'm in the mountains I have to force feed carbs or I wear out on day 2-3 and have zero energy. When we base camp I'm doing 6k+/day with a lot of pasta and rice at night. I'm 205ish lbs though so maybe my meter is not calibrated for someone who's 165.

I’m going to keep thinking through the food timing for the next few days and try to fill in where I think I’m missing. I 100% think I’m completely fine with this list though.

I don’t eat a lot in the mornings so I feel covered there with about 500cal to start off. Dinner is covered with peak and gummies. I snack a lot during the day and downfall I’ve always had is cramping so I’m thinking more “snacks” and hydration will be my main focus if I add anything else.

Any recommendations or what works for you is welcomed

Antares

WKR
- Laird instant latte
- Peak peaches and oats split up between the days adding protein scoop and creatine
- (4) fruit snacks
- (2) gummy bears
- nature valley wafer
- (1) beef jerky
- (1) pistachios
- ramen noodles
- peak meal
- (2) gatorlyte packets
- (1) instant coffee

That’s the general list. Some days have grits, different bar, ramen swapped out, different peak each day. So plus or minus on all the macros and calories. I’m 160-165lb for reference.

That makes sense. I'm 200 lbs and my calorie count is more like 3800-4000/day.

100%DIYazCOUES

Lil-Rokslider
I absolutely always take a spare headlamp, I’ve learned that lesson the hard way…
For 4 days, battery pack will do fine, but I take a solar charger sometimes too, sometimes I don’t like rationing battery life.
For 4 days, one fuel canister should be more then enough to boil water for 2 meals/day, conservatively I figure 10gr of fuel per boil using bsr

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at the aziak stable trek if you're just bringing binos and it's not super glassing intensive. Better than hand holding or jerry rigging something, but only a couple ounces. If you're planning on gridding hillsides all day, bring the tripod.

I doubt you'll need the solar. I brought a 20k mah Anker battery pack for a 9 day trip. We ended up out in 7, but I didnt even burn through half of it keeping my phone and inreach charged, using my phone for navigation and photos.

Bring the extra bladder. For backup, if there's limited water access, and if you're set up in a spot for a couple days, it's just nice to not have to get water all the time.

I hate gaiters but always end up bringing them. I'll wear them for a morning or two, but they're usually stashed in my pack. Next year I'll try to leave them behind. If it's soaking wet and raining you've got rain pants, and if it's not, you'll dry out pretty quick after the morning dew once the day warms up. They are nice to have on for cruising through creeks that are kinda high, but not high enough to bother taking boots off. Tough call.

I'm in Canada so can't carry anyways, but like others, I'd carry spray instead of the pistol. I've listened to too many bear attack stories, so I like it on my bino harness so I could pop the cap and deploy it without pulling it out, if there was a bear right on top of me or something.

Two headlamps for sure. Failure on my part last week, I left my primary headlamp in the truck after getting ready at the trailhead, and my backup(petzl bindi) must've turned on in my pack and died, and wouldn't charge off my battery bank, I'm not sure why. Ended up having to borrow my buddies backup for the trip.

three5x5s

WKR
might check out this guy this guy on you tube........ gear skeptic

Planning an Ultralight Backpacking Menu for Optimal Trail Nutrition​

I no longer starve myself food or water in order to cut weight.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you looked at the Rick Young outdoors harness? It’s just a clever bungee cord with quick connects but weighs about 2.5oz. I just tuck my binoculars under my midlayer if they need more protection.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Farpointe Alpha 60. It’s pretty warm when layered under a wind shell. Sleeping it’s great.
With temps 30-70°, I'd consider a lightweight "naked" Alpha for your moving layer and sleeping layer; personal preference, but I'd add a lightweight windshirt to the list. On the move w/o wind, just the Alpha layer. On the move w/ wind just the windshirt, if cooler both.

Are you guys doing this as a replacement for a 'traditional' mid layer like a grid fleece? Seems like it would serve the same purpose and cut about half the weight at 4oz alpha hoodie, and 4oz for a windshirt.

Are you guys doing this as a replacement for a 'traditional' mid layer like a grid fleece? Seems like it would serve the same purpose and cut about half the weight at 4oz alpha hoodie, and 4oz for a windshirt.
Exactly. I use several different pieces that utilize Alpha insulation in one form or another. It’s probably my favorite innovation in outdoor wear in the past decade.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

I use that combo (60 g Alpha & light windshirt) for early season. As the season progresses (or temps require it) I'll use a heavier Alpha piece as my mid-layer, but still carry the windshirt.

I've got some 4 -ish oz wind shirts I use backpacking outside of hunting season, for hunting season I use a little heavier one (7-ish oz), just more durable.

Drenalin

WKR.
Have you looked at the Rick Young outdoors harness? It’s just a clever bungee cord with quick connects but weighs about 2.5oz. I just tuck my binoculars under my midlayer if they need more protection.
Don't your lenses fog? I split the difference and use the Rick Young Bungee on an FHF pouch. 8.8 ounces, which includes a rangefinder pouch on one side.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
So, I am approaching this as a hunter and SAR responder who often is called out for hunters.
Pistol or bear spray needs to be on your person. That way, if your pack is off, you can quickly access your defensive tool of choice.
The upper base layer is cotton, or?
I always recommend a hooded, long-sleeved sun shirt.
It's probably too late, but I would look at lighter boots.
Ammo, if you are going to carry a pistol, leave the extra rifle rounds in your truck. If needed for signaling for help, use your pistol and don't waste rifle rounds, but if you have no pistol, carry 6 more rifle rounds in your bino harness.
Lighters - 1 in your harness.
I added a cut-resistant fish fillet glove to my kill kit, and I have seen many cuts, some minor but some very bad while processing animals.
If the hunt style requires a tripod, then that's okay, but I would drop it. Nowadays, everyone seems to need a tripod to be a successful hunter.
I have seen many phones damaged in cargo pockets after what appeared to be a pretty minor slip.
Headlamps - 2. It's common for people to get turned around in the dark, and it's dangerous to try and travel without some form of usable light and a backup. One in your harness, if possible.
Make sure someone not in the field has access to your Garmin Inreach account; that person can initiate a location ping themselves.
Make sure the "Include Location" is turned on for your Inreach Messages.
Bug spray
Whistle, if possible, in your harness.
Food seems light, but I do not know your hunt plan, style or your current daily caloric intake. But if you know what works for you and are not adding something you have not tried before, you should be ok. Just make sure you have enough calories to compensate for hunting-related activity.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't your lenses fog? I split the difference and use the Rick Young Bungee on an FHF pouch. 8.8 ounces, which includes a rangefinder pouch on one side.
Not anymore than when it was in my harness. I I also keep a small lens cloth tethered to it.

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
For 4 days, battery pack will do fine, but I take a solar charger sometimes too, sometimes I don’t like rationing battery life.

It’ll be 6 days and I THINK I’ll be fine but not 100% certain so I’m taking the solar as a backup even if it’s to maintain a phone or inreach charge while glassing

For 4 days, one fuel canister should be more then enough to boil water for 2 meals/day, conservatively I figure 10gr of fuel per boil using bsr

I typically would boil 8oz twice a day but I’m planning on 3-4 on this trip. I haven’t found the perfect dry foods that I enjoy so I’m boiling 2 8oz meals, 1 morning coffee and potentially an afternoon coffee

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
If you're planning on gridding hillsides all day, bring the tripod.

First time bear hunting so unsure but, I think I’ll be glassing enough to justify a tripod. I’m looking at the quick stix 3rd leg for the future for something like this. I’ll check out the aziak thanks

I doubt you'll need the solar.

Im hoping I don’t but bringing it as a backup. 3oz feels light enough to justify the security

-

Bringing the bladder, dropping the gaiters and looking into new headlamps for the future. Would like them both to be rechargeable

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I missed the bear hunt part. Definitely bring tripod, definitely a lot of glassing.

I would be bringing a small spotter in addition; again expect a lot of glassing. I'd throw in a small length of Z-pad or the like to sit on as well.

100%DIYazCOUES

Lil-Rokslider
First time bear hunting so unsure but, I think I’ll be glassing enough to justify a tripod. I’m looking at the quick stix 3rd leg for the future for something like this. I’ll check out the aziak thanks

Im hoping I don’t but bringing it as a backup. 3oz feels light enough to justify the security

-

Bringing the bladder, dropping the gaiters and looking into new headlamps for the future. Would like them both to be rechargeable
The specs on that solar panel are closer to 8 ounces, what panel is 3 ounces? I might be interested in one. Mines a 5 watt, weighs 5.5 oz.so basically the same weight for the panel and a 10000mah battery as a 20000 mah battery, but I can recharge in the field indefinitely. That’s how I look at it.Has worked great for years, fills up the battery pack at camp while I’m hunting. Haven’t found the limit yet doing that, but I’m in Arizona so plenty of sun usually.
I don’t know if it helps you, but I’m just finishing up testing stoves as we speak. The brs is averaging 7 grams of fuel to boil 16.9 oz (2 peak refuels plus a bit) of cool water, in a 650 ml titanium cup, no lid. So for me, I’ll plan on 10 grams per boil,to be safe,to account for wind,elevation, colder temps etc burning more fuel.
For me, it would take between 2 and 3 weeks of 2 meals per day for the higher efficiency of the jetboil to overcome the weight difference between it and the brs/cup setup.
To me, there’s a clear winner

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR

I’ve looked at it online but haven’t had my hands on it. I would like to check it out though. I started hunting with the regular bungee webbing style and it was way too bouncy. I really like the harness hugging my chest and not flopping around. This one is heavier but isn’t noticeable because of the fit and comfort. I do want to come up with a new back harness to lose the bulk and weight but it seriously checks every box for me. Losing over a pound on my chest would be ideal though