Pack/Gear Shakedown

TOLeary

WKR

Hey fellas! I’m looking to see what I can leave back at home. I feel like I have everything I need with some questionables. Any and all opinions are welcome on the whole list. Some context of the trip and more of my thought process below for the questionables

Southwest Montana backpack bear hunt with 1 buddy - not splitting anything. Temp range in 30s - 70s with what looks like rain. I’ve hunted in the area for a few years now seeing black bears and a wolf with others seeing wolves as well. I have not seen any grizzlies but they’re said to be in the area.

Non negotiables: AirPods & body glide

Questionables

- pistol: this is the most notable. I’ve been bow hunting this area so I’ve always carried a pistol. This will be my first time rifle hunting here and like the idea of not having the pistol weight but not sure I’m comfortable not taking it and only having a bolt action for potential protection. Anyone in southwestern Montana have an opinion/experience with this?

- Gaiters: I’m heavily leaning towards leaving them in the vehicle depending on amount of rain once the forecast comes out. I’ve never found the need to have them in the last few years but could’ve helped with the 3 days of constant rain last year (doubtful?)

- merino long sleeve: I’m not a fan of having a long sleeve base layer on for days but like the thought of it for sleep.

- GoPro: Would be nice to record some but would also be my first time filming. Is this something you would recommend messing around with on a backpacking or fishing trip? Unsure about the realistic use on the hunt

- extra 2L water storage: one area I’ve hunted has water at the bottom and could do without it. Another area I’ve hunted I haven’t seen water anywhere so I’m tempted to bring this if going in deeper. Can always leave at the car depending on specific area we’re hunting

- don’t have personal/possibles together fully but assume an additional 2lb to be extreme here.

Attachments

• IMG_7158.jpeg
    IMG_7158.jpeg
    485.8 KB · Views: 66
Pistol no
Gators no
LS merino base yes
Go Pro no. Your phone does about the same thing.
Extra water where needed is just common sense.

Good luck on your hunt.

OutHeavy

FNG
It's a matter of personal preference really, but if you ask yourself the question "What's the risk of NOT having it with me?" I think it helps make your decision making process easier. I would bring the water storage with me if the water sources are unknown or unreliable. I would also bring the pistol depending on caliber and how you carry it. If it's a caliber that can't stop a griz I'd consider it optional and probably leave it. If you carry in a holster stashed in you pack or on your hip belt it will be of no use anytime you set your pack and rifle down. If you carry on you bino harness it should never leave you. My two cents.

Pistol: No. Replace with Bear Spray on bino harness if you feel like you need a quicker option than the rifle for an initial encounter.

Gaiters: No

Merino L/S: No. they are heavy and stay wet if you happen to get it wet. A Farpointe Alpha Hoody is half the weight and much more comfortable to sleep in.

Go Pro: No, especially seeing how you are not a filmer. Not the place to focus your energy on learning how to.

Water Bladder: Always have an extra water bladder. It could save you a significant amount of time and energy if you otherwise would need to search out, descend, etc. to replenish.

Ammo: Take more than 4 rds.

Last edited:
Some stuff that hasn't been mentioned:

You'll cut some weight switching your water storage over to SmartWater bottles, and carrying an extra 2L empty will be trivial

You don't need an extra headlamp

Consider ditching the camp shoes

Do you really need the solar charger or do you have enough capacity in the bank with judicious usage? Since it's likely going to rain, consider cutting

Can you rig up something with your trekking poles to stabilize your binos without a tripod? I know there are adaptors for the quick stix you have. Saving 2# there would be a big deal

That bino harness seems really heavy. I'm not saying go out and buy another one before your hunt, but if your binos came with a lighter one consider using it.

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
It's a matter of personal preference really, but if you ask yourself the question "What's the risk of NOT having it with me?" I think it helps make your decision making process easier. I would bring the water storage with me if the water sources are unknown or unreliable. I would also bring the pistol depending on caliber and how you carry it. If it's a caliber that can't stop a griz I'd consider it optional and probably leave it. If you carry in a holster stashed in you pack or on your hip belt it will be of no use anytime you set your pack and rifle down. If you carry on you bino harness it should never leave you. My two cents.

Good points, thank you

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
Pistol: No. Replace with Bear Spray on bino harness if you feel like you need a quicker option than the rifle for an initial encounter.
What’re your thoughts on a bear re-engaging after bear spray has been used as well as being upwind? Seems like a lot of what ifs in regards to this topic but also not one to fluff off. I know more experience will help with confidence here

Merino L/S: No. they are heavy and stay wet if you happen to get it wet. A Farpointe Alpha Hoody is half the weight and much more comfortable to sleep in.

This is next up on the list to buy for sure just have had the merino laying around. I have been curious about weight to buy. Any recommendations here? 60, 90, 120?

Ammo: Take more than 4 rds.

I planned on 6 packed. Recommendations on amount to bring for extra?

Last edited:
OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
You'll cut some weight switching your water storage over to SmartWater bottles, and carrying an extra 2L empty will be trivial

This might be something I look into after hunting season. Not necessarily happy with my water setup so far but I do like a nalgene in case I need to boil water and throw it in my bag at night

Do you really need the solar charger or do you have enough capacity in the bank with judicious usage? Since it's likely going to rain, consider cutting
Good point, I’ll keep an eye on the weather for this. I think battery bank would cover me fine if I was careful but I do use my phone a decent amount. This will be a test run for the panel

Can you rig up something with your trekking poles to stabilize your binos without a tripod? I know there are adaptors for the quick stix you have. Saving 2# there would be a big deal
Great point, I forgot about that option. I think this will be perfect for this type of hunt that isn’t glass heavy

That bino harness seems really heavy. I'm not saying go out and buy another one before your hunt, but if your binos came with a lighter one consider using it.
It is surprisingly heavy… so far it’s the most comfortable and most utilitarian harness I’ve used - marsupial and Sitka prior. Going to look into new strap options rather than a heavy back harness

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
-Ditch the 9mm and carry a can of bear spray. It's strapped onto my pack belt facing forward, pop saftey and spray from the hip if need be.
-Ditch the tripod and loop the tethers of your trekking poles to form an X, binos will nestle in there nicely and you can get pretty damned stable with those. Also doubles as shooting sticks and a critter leg holder.
- I didn't see how many days your were going afield, pertaining to a fuel canister, could probably take a full one or clean up stock and run two.
- long sleeve, can't attest to merino as I don't wear it, issued ecws silky base layer (synthetic) works wonders for me and dirt cheap.
- gaiters, I always wear them just to prolong pant leg life (so I tell myself)
-water system- I use a badder for camp water and camp water only because I don't want one to leak inside my bag, smart water bottles are a good slender ish choice for the volume, or a body armor bottle for a wider mouth. My Water system is a grayl ultrapress, 32 oz Nalgene and a 46oz Nalgene.
-gopro- ditch it. Phones more useful
- add another bic or mini bic to bino harness or possible pouch
-wrap electric tape around lighter and duck tape around each trekking pole. Never know when the need will arise.

What’re your thoughts on a bear re-engaging after bear spray has been used as well as being upwind? Seems like a lot of what ifs in regards to this topic but also not one to fluff off. I know more experience will help with confidence here

This is next up on the list to buy for sure just have had the merino laying around. I have been curious about weight to buy. Any recommendations here? 60, 90, 120?

I planned on 6 packed. Recommendations on amount to bring for extra?
I’ve never had to deploy bear spray, but I sometimes bring it while solo hunting here in Alaska. I figure in a surprise situation it could atleast give a quick deterrent to the bear, enough so that I could get my rifle off my pack and ready. Plenty of people have had success with bear spray, so while I havnt, there’s plenty to support it being effective.

I have the Farpointe Alpha 60. It’s pretty warm when layered under a wind shell. Sleeping it’s great.

I always bring 12 rounds. Sometimes more. Without ammunition, your gun is ineffective. I shoot auppressed, so sometimes when I’m out, I’ll take a few long range shots to give me piece of mind and to verify the DOPE at that elevation and distance.

The Nalgene holder and bottle are heavier than you might think. It’s not going to be -20f, you don’t need a hot water bottle in your sleeping bag. Seriously, it’s an easy way to drop half a pound.

Antares

WKR
Your food seems light (<21 oz/day). Is that correct? If so, I'd be interested to see your food list and nutrition info. I'm right about 30 oz/day for myself and I eat it all.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd agree with ditching the 9 and replacing w/ a 12 oz bear spray.

With temps 30-70°, I'd consider a lightweight "naked" Alpha for your moving layer and sleeping layer; personal preference, but I'd add a lightweight windshirt to the list. On the move w/o wind, just the Alpha layer. On the move w/ wind just the windshirt, if cooler both.

On the tripod situation, really depends on how much glassing you're going to do. I've tried crossed trekking poles and haven't been impressed; if it's just a very occasional instance—maybe, if not I want a tripod. You could probably lighten the tripod w/ a good ballhead; you could further lighten it w/ a different tripod, but not cheaply.

Camp shoes- I've found for myself there is very little time spent lounging around camp, so I don't bring them. If there are a lot of stream crossings, I'd consider a very lightweight trail runner vs Crocs. They'll stay on much better and offer better grip.

Headlamps I used to be in the camp of only one lamp (and a set of spare batteries); now after having a lamp fail early on a five day trip—I'm a two lamp guy, no extra batteries, but both lamps w/ new lithium batteries that are the same, lamp to lamp.

For 3 oz and uncertainty on water, definitely bring another container.

Gaiters- earlier season and low chance of precip, I use the shorter style gaiters, the taller ones (for me) are overkill (unless rain is likely or it's going to be cold).

Ammo- I usually bring 10 rds total as well (two magazine w/ 3 rds each and 4 additional rds)

List looks pretty solid :)

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
I’ve never had to deploy bear spray, but I sometimes bring it while solo hunting here in Alaska. I figure in a surprise situation it could atleast give a quick deterrent to the bear, enough so that I could get my rifle off my pack and ready. Plenty of people have had success with bear spray, so while I havnt, there’s plenty to support it being effective.

I have the Farpointe Alpha 60. It’s pretty warm when layered under a wind shell. Sleeping it’s great.

I always bring 12 rounds. Sometimes more. Without ammunition, your gun is ineffective. I shoot auppressed, so sometimes when I’m out, I’ll take a few long range shots to give me piece of mind and to verify the DOPE at that elevation and distance.

Got it, thank you

The Nalgene holder and bottle are heavier than you might think. It’s not going to be -20f, you don’t need a hot water bottle in your sleeping bag. Seriously, it’s an easy way to drop half a pound.

Fair point, I never gave much thought here. Would save 5 ounces here quickly. Appreciate that. I used a steripen for a couple years and just kept rolling with it I guess.

Have you looked at the Cnoc storage and bottle? What does your water setup look like?

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
Ditch the tripod and loop the tethers of your trekking poles to form an X,
I could potentially get away with it on this trip. Going to look at the quick stix 3rd leg to add for less glassing heavy trips

My Water system is a grayl ultrapress, 32 oz Nalgene and a 46oz Nalgene.
Interesting setup, what’s your reasoning here?

could probably take a full one or clean up stock and run two.
6 days. I’m close on maxing out one canister. Taking a second as a backup/security

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
Your food seems light (<21 oz/day). Is that correct? If so, I'd be interested to see your food list and nutrition info. I'm right about 30 oz/day for myself and I eat it all.

- Laird instant latte
- Peak peaches and oats split up between the days adding protein scoop and creatine
- (4) fruit snacks
- (2) gummy bears
- nature valley wafer
- (1) beef jerky
- (1) pistachios
- ramen noodles
- peak meal
- (2) gatorlyte packets
- (1) instant coffee

That’s the general list. Some days have grits, different bar, ramen swapped out, different peak each day. So plus or minus on all the macros and calories. I’m 160-165lb for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_7189.jpeg
    IMG_7189.jpeg
    658.7 KB · Views: 19
OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
With temps 30-70°, I'd consider a lightweight "naked" Alpha for your moving layer and sleeping layer; personal preference, but I'd add a lightweight windshirt to the list. On the move w/o wind, just the Alpha layer. On the move w/ wind just the windshirt, if cooler both.
I’m going to look into this for next year/winter. I like the idea of it, I also don’t like adding/dropping layers a lot but I can see good uses for it. Will definitely try it out

On the tripod situation, really depends
Going to be rethinking less glassing hunts with the quick stix 3rd leg. I’d probably be annoyed with 2 trekking poles. Also haven’t done any type of hunting that’s super glass intensive so this is setup I have for now. Will probably stick with it until I outgrow it and has been good for the money/weight.

Camp shoes- I've found for myself there is very little time spent lounging around camp, so I don't bring them.
This one I’ve been thinking more about. I like having shoes/boots on and no stream crossing so I might be dropping these. Game time decision here - I’m glad you brought it up

Headlamps I used to be in the camp of only one lamp (and a set of spare batteries); now after having a lamp fail early on a five day trip—I'm a two lamp guy
I hate both of mine but haven’t nailed down another 2 I want to pick up yet. Have been rethinking these for a while. Which 2 have you been using or like?

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
I could potentially get away with it on this trip. Going to look at the quick stix 3rd leg to add for less glassing heavy trips

Interesting setup, what’s your reasoning here?

6 days. I’m close on maxing out one canister. Taking a second as a backup/security
If I had a spotter, I would definitely bring a tripod, but just binos I use the trekking poles and rest my elbow on my knee for extra stability. I like this because it's usable and super adaptable on any terrain, steep or flat.

I run the grayl as the main filter and bottle I run on my belt holder, I drink a bottle or two at almost every stream crossing (within reason) to stay on top of hydration. I can filter 4L or so of water faster than a gravity system and i get a usable bottle out of it. Nalgenes are mainly for water storage that I can still drink out of that I know will not leak.same with a smart water bottle... the 3L bladder is for camp water to save on trips.. this is my second season going the bladderless route and it may be a pain sometime, but it's working so far.

I do agree in the second canister, I need to get the little canister transfer device to consolidate my mostly empty ones 😅

TaperPin

WKR
It doesn’t sound like it’s your first backpacking trip, so if you like camp shoes, a go pro, tripod, etc then go for it.

If you’ve never been backpacking, then definitely go in a shakedown weekend trip before this hunt. Have you eaten that menu for multiple days at home or on other multi day trips? If so, then take whatever turns your crank.

A lot of guys get in really great shape, then worry about ounces on an easy 5 mile trip in - a light weight mindset is natural since every magazine, book, blog, or forum post talks about shedding weight, but it makes more sense for some situations than others. Your situation is different from anyone else’s.

Sounds like a fun trip!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate both of mine but haven’t nailed down another 2 I want to pick up yet. Have been rethinking these for a while. Which 2 have you been using or like?
If I know I’m going to be using a headlamp a lot, I bring two BD Spots; if not I bring two Spotlites.