Pack for body type

Artemis

FNG
Hello,

I have been doing a ton of research on packs and it seems like packs/frames fit particular body types better than others. I'm 5'8.5" 150lbs 30" waist somewhat muscular chest shoulders but not overly thick. Could anyone with a similar build tell me what has worked or didn't work well for them.

Thanks for the replies.

TaperPin

WKR
Hello,

I have been doing a ton of research on packs and it seems like packs/frames fit particular body types better than others. I'm 5'8.5" 150lbs 30" waist somewhat muscular chest shoulders but not overly thick. Could anyone with a similar build tell me what has worked or didn't work well for them.

Thanks for the replies.
A lot will depend on your hips and shape (curve) of your back. Big pronounced hips can get away with smaller/softer hip pads, and those of us without much to hang a belt off of need stiff/structured/properly curved hip belts or we’re screwed. Everyone has a different curve to their back and a different shaped shelf above the rear end that takes weight (along with the belt). If a pack floats over your lumbar with a gap or puts too much pressure on it it’s not good. In the past it was always a mistake to buy something without trying it on, but nowadays it seems super common to just buy, find something better and buy again.

Mojave

WKR
The actual distance between your waist and neck is what pavks are measured to.

OP
A

Artemis

FNG
A lot will depend on your hips and shape (curve) of your back. Big pronounced hips can get away with smaller/softer hip pads, and those of us without much to hang a belt off of need stiff/structured/properly curved hip belts or we’re screwed. Everyone has a different curve to their back and a different shaped shelf above the rear end that takes weight (along with the belt). If a pack floats over your lumbar with a gap or puts too much pressure on it it’s not good. In the past it was always a mistake to buy something without trying it on, but nowadays it seems super common to just buy, find something better and buy again.
I see that makes sense. I don't have much in the way of hips basically my hips line up with my waist. My back is curved as my mid and upper back protrude out a bit from my lower back. Also, I have fairly pronounced muscular arse. Let me know if there are any other import body type features to consider. I would try on different packs if there was a place nearby but nothing within a days drive.

Mojave

WKR
torso_measurement_web.jpg

Mojave

WKR
The line between your shoulders and waist is more important than the shape of your back.

I am a tall or long even though I am only 5'11. But I am built like a Dachshund.

I'm 5'8" 135 lb and wear 29" waist pants. Mystery Ranch Guide Lite and Guide Lite MT packs didn't fit me very well. I've been using a Kifaru Duplex Hunter with normal stays and an extra small belt for the past 4 years. I wouldn't say it fits me perfectly, but I've used it to haul many heavy loads in (relative) comfort. I recently picked up a used Stone Glacier Krux but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

It's easy enough to measure your waist and torso to select the correct belt and frame sizes. The hard part is assessing how the shape/curvature of the belt, frame, and lumbar pad of a particular pack will conform to your body. Physically trying out a pack with some weight in it is the only real way to know.

GotDraw?

WKR
You're just hosed. Don't bother backcountry hunting, try bowling. Too many hunters these days anyhow.

True backcountry backpacks are only designed to fit hunters in even height increments, ie: 5'8", 5'9", 6', etc. If you are 5' 8 and 1/2" tall, then you are in no man's land and no pack will fit you. ;-) 😉

Kidding aside, we're similar height and I'm 15lbs heavier. As long as you don't have muffin-top waist (which would keep your belt from transferring load to your pelvis), and assuming your belt can cinch mid point and hang from your ischial crests and assuming your pack's lumbar pad fits your sacrum and doesn't slip... then you're in good shape. I have a Stone Glacier, love it.

How much weight do you intend to carry?
JL

OP
A

Artemis

FNG
You're just hosed. Don't bother backcountry hunting, try bowling. Too many hunters these days anyhow.

True backcountry backpacks are only designed to fit hunters in even height increments, ie: 5'8", 5'9", 6', etc. If you are 5' 8 and 1/2" tall, then you are in no man's land and no pack will fit you. ;-) 😉

Kidding aside, we're similar height and I'm 15lbs heavier. As long as you don't have muffin-top waist (which would keep your belt from transferring load to your pelvis), and assuming your belt can cinch mid point and hang from your ischial crests and assuming your pack's lumbar pad fits your sacrum and doesn't slip... then you're in good shape. I have a Stone Glacier, love it.

How much weight do you intend to carry?
JL
🤣 thought you just saved me $700. Probably keep weight < 100lbs mostly 50-80lb range. SG is on the list think x curve might be good fit. Attached is pitcure of my back.

Attachments

• IMG_2927.jpeg
    IMG_2927.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 20
OP
A

Artemis

FNG
Here’s my back shape.

Attachments

• IMG_2927.jpeg
    IMG_2927.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 8
I think that your back profile looks pretty normal/flat to me. Try putting your heels and butt against a wall, then see if you can slide your hand between the wall and the small of your back. If your hand barely fits ,you have a normal /flat back . If your arm goes in to almost your elbow then your back is curved. Kifaru has a podcast on this. I originally bought a Kifaru pack and thought my back was more curved than it is. After bending the curve to make it about 5/8'' less the pack was way more comfortable and fit alot better. I then shortened my torso length about 1/2'' and bingo fit like a glove and the waist belt quit sliding down. I now have a Stone Glacier krux frame, it works really well for my back as well. The x-curve did not.

OP
A

Artemis

FNG
I think that your back profile looks pretty normal/flat to me. Try putting your heels and butt against a wall, then see if you can slide your hand between the wall and the small of your back. If your hand barely fits ,you have a normal /flat back . If your arm goes in to almost your elbow then your back is curved. Kifaru has a podcast on this. I originally bought a Kifaru pack and thought my back was more curved than it is. After bending the curve to make it about 5/8'' less the pack was way more comfortable and fit alot better. I then shortened my torso length about 1/2'' and bingo fit like a glove and the waist belt quit sliding down. I now have a Stone Glacier krux frame, it works really well for my back as well. The x-curve did not.
GrassyMike,

You're right my hand barely fits looks like I have normal back. Do you know where I can find the Kifaru podcast? How did you bend the curve?

Thanks,

OP
A

Artemis

FNG
GrassyMike,

You're right my hand barely fits looks like I have normal back. Do you know where I can find the Kifaru podcast? How did you bend the curve?

Thanks,
Actually, I just found it. My hand could barely fit through so I semi-flat.

Glad that helped. I actually tried the stone Glacier frames right at their store in Bozeman. Employee there told me the Krux was actually correct frame for most Guys and the x-curve is made for curved backs. After trying them both with sandbags I could tell instantly it was Krux for my back. The Kifaru I had used the Aluminum stays. You just had to pull it apart and bend them a bit at a time and then put back together and test. Rinse and repeat till it fit.