Pack dogs?

Bob b

FNG
Was watching an old eastmans film and he was sheep hunting up in bc and he was using dogs to pack some weight. Anybody have any experience with this, good breed and how much a big dog can carry?

I guarantee my lab did not enjoy the concept one bit!
That eastman film is a good one though which my dog did not appreciate.

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
My lab has been with me on a number of elk hunts and gladly carries 20-25 lbs. of boned meat. Not a lot of weight but it all helps.

The thing about dogs is they need a fair amount of food and water. I have heard 25% of their weight is about what they should be able to carry.

Graves14

WKR
I can't tell you how many times if watched "High, Wild, and Free". It's the stuff dreams are made of

OP
Bob b

Bob b

FNG
Yes goats would be good, just thinking if a dog can carry 25-30 percent of its weight, why not get a couple good big dogs? Isn't that the same weight a goat can pack 25-30 percent. Seems a dog would be way easier to train than goats? Plus a big dog could scare away the grizzlies😄

Poser

WKR
Couple Mastiffs, or possibly Bernese Mtn Dogs (better equipped for the cold) and you're good to go. Hit the 150 pound range and you're packing 50 lbs per dog

WKR
Yes goats would be good, just thinking if a dog can carry 25-30 percent of its weight, why not get a couple good big dogs? Isn't that the same weight a goat can pack 25-30 percent. Seems a dog would be way easier to train than goats? Plus a big dog could scare away the grizzlies😄

You don't have to carry in goat food.

Charina

FNG
You don't have to carry in goat food.

And you don't have to socialize them, and you can't simply put them out to pasture the rest of the year, feed is a lot more expensive, etc.

I love my Bernese Mountain Dog puppy, and she's going to be my ice sled puller, but I don't see her as any suitable hunting companion. They are highly social and would absolutely hate to be left at camp when their human leaves.

OP
Bob b

Bob b

FNG
You would have to take it with you then I guess, maybe you could train him to hang back when you got a bull going or went in on a stalk. And if he was really good maybe you could even get him to bump up with you when the bull moves off. Train him to move up at 3 cow calls or something😄

MTtrout

WKR
In my experience with training my hunting lab it can be difficult to have them slowly work towards you sitting on the way, especially when they can see your excitement and weapon in hand. She will do it but sometimes it takes some stern hand gestures (i.e., spooking non bird game). Training in the yard is a diffent story. IMO I wouldn't expect her to do that with a bull bugling in front of me. Non-hunting driven breeds might be different.

Bar

Banned
I used to weight pull a pit bull I owned in the past. I took him to Texas to the nationals. he came in 3rd with a pull of 2800lbs on a sled. Part of his training was pulling 300-400lbs for long distances to build of his stamina. He could pull that all day.

I'll bet a couple of strong dogs could pull out a whole boned out elk on a sled. That would be better than stapping weight on their back.