Pack Comparison

TxAgHntr

FNG
New to elk hunting (not hunting though)...need some guidance...

I have a Gregory Baltoro 65 and am considering swapping for an Outdoorsman external frame and pack.

Can anyone give first hand experience to help me compare? I do not have the opp to try on the OD pack. I do like the Gregory Baltoro, but never used it for a backpack hunt. The Gregory is very comfortable and good features...

The price is right on the OD pack, so its not as much of a factor here. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How much weight have you put in the Gregory?
Try 80 if you haven't and see what you think still need an upgrade.
Lots of packs out there, not saying outdoorsman is the wrong choice but may want to shop around a bit.

Vaultman

WKR
I did my first backpack hunt without a "hunting" pack. An old Kelty with on modification, a gun bearer system added (I chose the kifaru one) . It just took some redneck engineering but worked good.
I think what you have will get you by if you do not want to drop coin on another pack. I will say I had an old frame-only pack (the $30 type from GI Joes.) That first backpacking hunt can get expensive with all the other new light or ultralight stuff needed. That is why I used my old non hunting pack. I planned to hike gear out, trade to my pack frame and then go back for my meat.
I did seriously consider the OD frame, but just did not see very many people actually using it. It seems like a great system (even if some think it may be a little gimmicky), the weight training option and the water packing system looked pretty well thought out.
(I love my Gregory Zulu 30 for solo one nighters. Those Gregory packs are nice.).

New to elk hunting (not hunting though)...need some guidance...

I have a Gregory Baltoro 65 and am considering swapping for an Outdoorsman external frame and pack.

Can anyone give first hand experience to help me compare? I do not have the opp to try on the OD pack. I do like the Gregory Baltoro, but never used it for a backpack hunt. The Gregory is very comfortable and good features...

The price is right on the OD pack, so its not as much of a factor here. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
how much are you gonna be put back for your frame and pack?

I’d say save the money you would spend on new pack and put that to use on other backpacking gear, unless you’re fully outfitted already.

Vaultman

WKR
I’d say save the money you would spend on new pack and put that to use on other backpacking gear, unless you’re fully outfitted already.
That is what I would say to. If you have something that works and there are other items you don't even have, don't spend your budget on replacing/upgrading what you have. Get the items you need.

OP
T

TxAgHntr

FNG
That is what I would say to. If you have something that works and there are other items you don't even have, don't spend your budget on replacing/upgrading what you have. Get the items you need.

Thanks, will do.