Pack cleaning help- not your usual stink

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
Try filling it with charcoal and or coffee and let it sit for a week or so. I have heard it will get the smell out of freezer that has been unplugged for a few weeks. Worth a try.

TaperPin

WKR
Cutting boards and plastic storage containers with food stains come mostly clean with an overnight soak in vinegar. Other than that, hanging outside for a very long time is the only thing I know of. It’s like a refrigerator left for a month with food in it - it won’t off gas the stink in the plastic for years.

Fordguy

WKR
Borax and very hot water for the rancid melted.fat, dry in the sun, and then place in an air tight tote with a small quantity of concentrated essence of ammonia in a bottle cap for a few days. I wouldn't let the concentrated essence of ammonia touch the fabric- not sure what it might do. Ive heard of people using it to remove skunk scent this way. Might be worth a shot.

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
Dont suppose it needs sent back for some warranty work?:ROFLMAO:

Maybe if I sent it to their new Dallas showroom
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp Fox

WKR
Try filling it with charcoal and or coffee and let it sit for a week or so. I have heard it will get the smell out of freezer that has been unplugged for a few weeks. Worth a try.
Activated charcoal after some of this other stuff that's been mentioned wouldn't be a bad idea. That's next level from Kingsford, though. : ) You can find activated charcoal for odor absorption on the innerweb.

I've heard of coffee for absorption/masking but don't know much more than that.

The only other idea I have is an ozone bath. Not to get into where this is in the hunting industry (it hasn't taken off like ScentLok suits, LOL), it's an idea ..... Plus you know you need another hunting gizmo, anyway.

Ozone odor elimination in enclosed spaces is legit.

Wild Game Innovations makes a cheaper version (of course) and I have experience with neither of them, except that I know that the Plano trunk the Scent Crusher uses is damn tough and comes in manly black.

WG looks to use the same box, but somebody at Corporate thought orange would be a good idea. LOL

But for some extra $ and who knows what else, Scent Crusher is a much better name than WG's Zero Trace ....

It's like Celtic Victory vs. Irish Spring. ; )

Last edited:

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
Consider putting the bag in a tub and treat it like you were doing a euro mount, at a simmer not boil. start with oxi clean powder, then rinse and restart with 40% strength peroxide.
IMG_1490.jpeg

I'd try peroxide then rinse soak and use vinegar. Might even have to do it more than once. After you get it neutralized you can use oxyclean for a final wash.

I’ve soaked a few nasty game bags in a tote of cold water and Simple Green before washing. It worked well enough. Nothing like the level of nasty you’re describing.

Maybe the same elixir that is used for skunked dogs- dawn dish soap, baking soda and peroxide mix. Think I'd start with a strong degreaser like simple green, purple power or ?? and hot water, then try to get the funk out.

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
Drained the water and flushed with fresh
Replaced with simple green, borax and oxi clean
The drained water smelled bad but not rancid so moving in the right direction

Swamp Fox

WKR
I'm glad you're making progress. This has been a good thread with a lot of good contributions.

I've been reading up on this and have come across a lot of warnings about hydrogen peroxide fading certain fabrics (an idea I was familiar with) but also weakening fabrics, which was less obvious to me but makes sense now that I think about it.

All the advice I've come across stresses rinsing the hell out of anything you soaked in HP.

Since water + Borax creates hydrogen peroxide (on some level) I wanted to point this out before something bad happens to a pack you're attached to.

I used to make gallons of homemade scent-killer every year using hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, distilled water and some secret ingredients ...

Not doing it so much these days. Have seen the good and the bad, and cut back.

[Not a chemist, but could play one on the internet if the money were right....] : )

Madstop14

FNG
Scrub that thing with hot water and dawn then run it through an ozone treatment. I bought a cheap ozone machine on Amazon and it works great. Throw it in a rubbermaid, let the ozone run and let it soak in there. If that doesn't work - maybe put it in one of those big plastic clothes bags and fill it with baking soda for a few weeks. Personally, I'm burning that thing. Good luck!