Pack advice

Manosteel

WKR
I am in the market for a new pack. I have done a lot of research, which is good and bad, as the more I read the more indecisive I get :).

Here are my uses for the pack;

Mountain hunts for sheep and elk - usually, 2-3 mile hike to spike/base camp, 2/3 going up in steep elevation, and then miles of mountains in every direction.

Back country Moose hunts, where vehicles are prohibited outside of launch points and wouldn't be able to go b/c of terrain. Miles of walking through hills, heavy timber, open areas, dried up creek beds, swamps and bogs. But nice forestry cutline’s for the most part.

I usually go for 4-5 days (one that long for the mountain hunt and another that long for moose) and weekend banzi trips if I don't tag out.

My partner moved away so this year I may be going solo (hard to find a hunting buddy you can trust and rely on)

I usually debone my animals time permitting but quartering them is also normal.

I have used the Badlands 2200, with a frame and 4500. But they are old and heavy.

I want something that is big enough for the pack in, but compresses enough to wear during the day.

Any and all input welcome.

Cheers

slim9300

WKR
What has your research narrowed your search too? Like stated above, what is your budget.

Also, what is the max you plan on carrying on your back? It sounds like potential 100+ lb. loads if you are moose hunting.

Not to be on the kifaru bandwagon but I just got my first duplex frame (used) and from the minute I put some wait on it I new it was something different. Its way better than my badlands 2800. I would recommend kifaru if its in your price range.

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
Thanks for the quick reply's. My price point is a moving target :) but love something in the $400 range but I am willingly to spend $$ on quality gear that will do the job for years, so going up to $700 is not out of the question.

I have no idea what my pack loads are but I usually pack out a hind quater plus what ever esle I can fit per trip, boned out, I get more neck meat in etc.. I can usually get a moose out in 4 trips alone, 2 with a partner. (guessing 80-100+ lbs?) All I know is as I get older the lighter my gear is the more my body likes it!

slim9300

WKR
Thanks for the quick reply's. My price point is a moving target :) but love something in the $400 range but I am willingly to spend $$ on quality gear that will do the job for years, so going up to $700 is not out of the question.

I have no idea what my pack loads are but I usually pack out a hind quater plus what ever esle I can fit per trip, boned out, I get more neck meat in etc.. I can usually get a moose out in 4 trips alone, 2 with a partner. (guessing 80-100+ lbs?) All I know is as I get older the lighter my gear is the more my body likes it!

It sounds like the Kifaru Duplex frame and Duplex Timberline 1 bag would suit you very well. If you are packing whole moose quarters I would say this kind of frame would be ideal. You may be able to find this bag and or frame used from someone on RokSlide or Kifaru and save yourself some money. What is your height and waist size?

Another pack to look into would be the Bikini frame with the same bag. I have two on order and look forward to giving it a try.

Shrek

WKR
Slim9300 , post that pic of your t1 compressed and if we can get Aron to repost the pic of him and the moose quarter I think that about covers it.

slim9300

WKR
Slim9300 , post that pic of your t1 compressed and if we can get Aron to repost the pic of him and the moose quarter I think that about covers it.

This is my standard Timberline 1 in day pack mode.

2e6e5a3y.jpg

Here's the same pack with half of a decent sized bull and my gear.

5e8ahamy.jpg

The Kifaru DT series, the Bikini frame (if it fits), or the Timberline series should all work well for that. The first two will haul the largest loads better. Personally, I am a fan of larger bags, but you may disagree.

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
Wow! Great pics of the T1 compressed and loaded, puts a nice perspective on the written word. I was leaning toward the Timberline 2 since I can get everything in the badlands 4500 and save a bit of weight, not sure if I need or want the extra bit of room of the snow collar in the Timberline 1. But if real world users say it’s worth the weight and convenience I may go that way.

I am 5'10", 180lbs very fit, 32" waist, 41" chest; get about inch or so smaller in the waist during hunting season.

Thoughts between the T1 and T2? And experiences?

Craig4791

WKR
I would go with the larger Pack. I have never felt like my pack was too big.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I would go with the larger Pack. I have never felt like my pack was too big.

Yep, just cause you can fit all your gear in a Badlands 4500, what about when you tip over a deer and haul out the meat, cape, and antlers?? I prefer to have as much IN my pack that strapped to teh outside. You low pro 4000-5200 pack not isn't nearly as sleek as 7200 cu in pack if you have to strap a bunch of crap outside.

That said I'm going to be using a 8500 cu in pack as I cubed out the T1 and DT1 several times last year and had to hill billy it up strapping stuff to the outside sometimes. A couple extra oz of fabric for a bigger pack means less overall weight for extra pockets and what not to hold all your gear too. Most packs compress down well enough empty that the extra pack size is a non-issue. Kinda like insurance, most of the time you don't need it and it sucks to pay a bit more for, but when you need it you are really glad you have it.

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
Wow! Great pics of the T1 compressed and loaded, puts a nice perspective on the written word. I was leaning toward the Timberline 2 since I can get everything in the badlands 4500 and save a bit of weight, not sure if I need or want the extra bit of room of the snow collar in the Timberline 1. But if real world users say it’s worth the weight and convenience I may go that way.

I am 5'10", 180lbs very fit, 32" waist, 41" chest; get about inch or so smaller in the waist during hunting season.

Thoughts between the T1 and T2? And experiences?

I would say T1 without a doubt. My reasoning is the same as the others that posted before me. There will be zero difference between the T1 & T2 compressed anyways. If you don't like the snow collar it's really easy to trim it off.

Oh, btw. You want 26" stays and a small waist belt.

If you can afford it I'd go Kifaru. Having owned and tried alot of packs over the year nothing beats Kifaru in my opinion.
Variety of Kifaru packs to choose from.