From this years hunting digest
88f6ebf7b2b5846d4b374a0bcbabb657.jpg

OP
TonySkyline
Sweet. Thanks for posting that.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Objee

FNG
It seems the PA Elk hunt has taken a hit as of late... Guides from Elk County Outfitters (ECO) and the Hunter selected from the special Keystone Elk Country Alliance (KECO) Elk Tag Raffle were found guilty of charges form the PGC.

I read that there was a bit of drama after the KECO hunt ; another outfitter who had permission to hunt the private land were the guy shot the 400+ elk... accused ECO of not having permission to hunt that property.

Also... don't know if anyone noticed that a father and son were both selected for Elk Bull tags in the 2019 drawing. There were only 27 Bull Elk tags out of about 30,000 applicants, many that applied had up to 16 years worth of preference points and never selected. What are the odds? The Keystone Elk Country Alliance (KECO) that held the drawing for the Pennsylvania Game Commission elk tag applicants... I think PGC needs a new way of selecting winners.

Last edited:
OP
TonySkyline
Daaaammnnn. So scummy to do that to people on the draw. Well they say, it's not who ya know but who ya bl@w. I'm sure the father knew someone who was a friend of a friend. Lol. Yeah they need a new way to do the draw. Everyone should get sent a number before the draw and it should be drawn immediately after without showing any names.

Trunscav

FNG
I’m a PA resident and would like to hunt elk someday in my home state and do apply every year for tags during rifle and now archery season. However, it leaves a distaste in my mouth when you watch videos and see posts on social media. Most of these elk are so patterned and somewhat “tamed” a lot of these hunts guys are being set up over fields and shooting these elk at daybreak when they step out into the field they have been coming out to daily and then driving the tracker over to load them up whole. I would want more of the experience of chancing bulls in the mountains or calling to them if I ever drew an archery tag. I would be prouder with a “smaller” bull that I harvested in a way that is more fair chase and my way rather than with an outfitter setting me up to shoot a record book bull that has been named by the locals and visited a each year.

That’s just my thoughts, everyone has their own opinions.

PMcGee

WKR
I’m a PA resident and would like to hunt elk someday in my home state and do apply every year for tags during rifle and now archery season. However, it leaves a distaste in my mouth when you watch videos and see posts on social media. Most of these elk are so patterned and somewhat “tamed” a lot of these hunts guys are being set up over fields and shooting these elk at daybreak when they step out into the field they have been coming out to daily and then driving the tracker over to load them up whole. I would want more of the experience of chancing bulls in the mountains or calling to them if I ever drew an archery tag. I would be prouder with a “smaller” bull that I harvested in a way that is more fair chase and my way rather than with an outfitter setting me up to shoot a record book bull that has been named by the locals and visited a each year.

I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Objee

FNG

Good post... I always put in for zone 10... more public land there.
Too bad an Outfitter doesn't have just a game recovery service... conduct your own hunt and report your GPS coordinates to outfitter after the fact to help pack your elk out.

OP
TonySkyline
Good post... I always put in for zone 10... more public land there.
Too bad an Outfitter doesn't have just a game recovery service... conduct your own hunt and report your GPS coordinates to outfitter after the fact to help pack your elk out.
That would be the cat's a$$. Let me do my thing and if I harvest one, come on and scoop it. Lol. I'm in for that idea.

jdmaxwell

WKR
That would be the cat's a$$. Let me do my thing and if I harvest one, come on and scoop it. Lol. I'm in for that idea.

That is an option for DIY guys. Guy has draft horses and sled and can skid your elk out whole if needed. Good guy.
He was tied up to get mine out, so quartered it and carried the old fashioned way.

RS3579

WKR
I just got a call I drew a Cow tag zone 4. I’m pumped up. South of Emporium and west to Hicks run. I’m looking at maps now to get public access and availability. It looks good for availability. Any info is greatly appreciated. I’ll be staying at my camp, it’s about 15 miles north of Emporium.