Overthinking-quiver order for diff broadheads

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Probably going to run some fixed and mechanicals this season, ideally would only use the mechanicals for a longer follow up shot. Using a tight spot quiver with the one QD slot and wondering what should go there. A fixed for the first shot, or a mechanical for a follow up?

I know I’m overthinking small crap…

Bowfinn

FNG
Probably going to run some fixed and mechanicals this season, ideally would only use the mechanicals for a longer follow up shot. Using a tight spot quiver with the one QD slot and wondering what should go there. A fixed for the first shot, or a mechanical for a follow up?

I know I’m overthinking small crap…
I put a mechanical in the QD slot for my follow up shot, but ultimately do what makes sense to you. Practice with it and keep it consistent and simple.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you have your eyes on the elk, where do you grab your arrow from? That should be wherever you want your first shot arrow. The arrows I normally use fill the first three slots, the last two are my fixed blade arrows. But I'm left-handed, so it may be backwards for you. :ROFLMAO:

Zac

WKR
Well if you want more confusion Dudley uses the Mechs for close range work and the fixed for longer shots. He figures your getting the most KE at close range, and the lower energy longer shots benefit from a blade that doesn't need to deploy.

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Never hunted elk before so I’m purely guessing. But I THINK putting 2 fixed in the far spots and mechanicals closer to me.

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Well if you want more confusion Dudley uses the Mechs for close range work and the fixed for longer shots. He figures your getting the most KE at close range, and the lower energy longer shots benefit from a blade that doesn't need to deploy.
Dudley’s technique is a hair better than mine. I want more forgiveness at longer ranges lol.

Bump79

WKR
I mean it's solid logic.. he's not wrong on the KE front. I imagine that's a sliding scale for him though and at some point for a long bomb follow up he'd go back to a mechanical.

JK47

FNG
I have both fixed and mechanical broad heads. Last year, I reached past my Grim Reaper’s and pulled out my arrow with the G5 Montec. Both work. Guess it depends on the situation.

CMF

WKR
I have fixed closest to me, usually three, then a small game head, then a couple mechs. A couple extra arrows in pack with small game heads on and a couple extra broadheads stowed away.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I mean it's solid logic.. he's not wrong on the KE front. I imagine that's a sliding scale for him though and at some point for a long bomb follow up he'd go back to a mechanical.
If I'm not mistaken, Dudley has a 30" draw. Like me, KE shouldn't be an issue for him regardless what distance or heads he's shooting.

Bump79

WKR
If I'm not mistaken, Dudley has a 30" draw. Like me, KE shouldn't be an issue for him regardless what distance or heads he's shooting.
True enough. I'm 30" as well and I actually think he's longer. I was just saying it's logical to an extent - KE does diminish with range.

Zac

WKR
It’s just what he does. I know in the past he’s taken follow up shots on elk over 90. So in that situation it makes sense, especially if he has to take on something at that distance at an angle.