Outer layer for early November elk in Wyoming

I have a cow elk hunt scheduled in central Wyoming the 2nd week in November. Looking at long range forecast looks like potential for upper 20s to mid 40s. I suspect we will be doing walking and glassing and I don’t really know what is recommended for the outer layer for my clothing.

I have several Kuiu base layers in Merino ranging from 120 weight to 200 weight. I have middle layer 1/4 zip Merino as well. I have a couple of lighter outer layers but not sure it will be enough when sitting and glassing.

I was looking at the Kuiu Proximity hooded jacket and have also considered the Stone Glacier Grumman puffy jacket.

Is there a consensus on which of these may be preferred? Any other recommendations?

I would prefer to stick with Kuiu or SG because I can handle these locally. I can handle some Sitka but it’s very limited in selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You'll want a down jacket for glassing 100% SG Grumman and KUIU Super Down Pro are comparable, SG fits small at the waist if you're not built like a twig.

NealS02

FNG
I like to layer with merino baselayer, puffy, and then on top of that some sort of windproof layer. I run Sitka so I am not sure about the equivalent in Kuiu, but the Jetstream is what I use for an outer layer. IMO a windproof layer of some sort is essential.

SloppyJ

WKR
I've been beating my head around on this same question. Planning a second rifle hunt in CO next year and the outer layers were throwing me too. My temps were just a bit warmer than yours. 20s to 50s.

I'm planning on wearing merino bases, and some heavier pants like the Kuiu attacks or my Sitka Mountain pants. I'll have another mid layer if it's super cold. Thinking Sitka Midi or my stratus pants. Depends on how mobile we are. If we're hiking a ton the midi will get left in the pack.

For tops, I'll do merino bases, a grid fleece like the sitka fanatic, a down jacket and then a heavier rain layer as outerwear if needed. I saw a new SG grumman for $230 a month or so ago and pulled the trigger on it. I think that will fit the bill just fine and it packs down to nothing. I picked up the Kuiu katana rain set as an outer layer.

I'm wondering if I need more in the pants department like the matching grumman pants or something similar?

All this to say, you're not alone. The variability of that time of year can really swing you into some different gear. The difference between 20 and 50 is huge in my mind.