Outdoorsmans Tripods & Tripod Heads

Outdoorsmans_Dan

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Roksliders,

We at Outdoorsmans are looking for some input on our tripods from the folks who use them the most – you!
We also have a separate post in the Backpacks section for input on our pack line, so feel free to share your thoughts in that topic as well.
What we'd like to know:
1. What do you like about our tripods / tripod heads? ex. size, usability, stability, load capacity, colors, materials, other features
2. What don't you like about our tripods / tripod heads? ex. size, usability, stability, load capacity, colors, materials, other features
3. What would you like to see Outdoorsmans offer in our tripod / tripod heads?
4. What do you use your tripod for most? ex. binos, spotter, rifle support

Like.... the heads and adapters. Bino adapter is a must for me. Outstanding build quality.

Dislikes....your tripods. Tried a medium and just prefer my slik carbon fiber better.

Would like to see..... an outdoorsmans carbon fiber tripod tall enough to stand and glass with. Would like to see a true fluid head panner. My manfrotto is a lot less finicky with my big spotter than my outdoorsmans regular pan head. Yes it is bigger and heavier but I like the way it moves better.

I mainly use your panhead and pistol grip head for binocular use.

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
I just recently bought the Bino Adapter, Quick Disconnect, and Micro PanHead. Haven't had a chance to use yet outside of the house, but initial thought.......your stuff is awesome! I will be using my new setup with binoculars only. Don't own a spotter, and don't plan on buying one.

Was looking for a lightweight setup, and small package, your Micro PanHead seemed the perfect fit for me.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
The bino adapter is perfect!

The micro head is good but has a couple large draw backs for me. With spotter only it will handle heavy loads well, so long as the weight is balanced. It becomes incredibly finicky when a Digi scoping set up is used. It would be nice if there was a long or multi position mounting plate that could be mounted on the scope to re-center the weight with a camera added.

I just ordered the full size so I can only speak to the weekend I borrowed one but it seems robust enough to accommodate an imbalanced load, Locks in place accurately and is incredibly stable.

I wish I had enough money to buy one of your tripods but Its hard to justify the price compared to other quality options on the market. They are no doubt nice and some of the most stable (carbon fiber sucks) but other quality aluminum options are half or less.

tdhanses

WKR
Really like all the heads, adapters, panners and bino hand.

Would really like to see a pistol grip head half the size of the current specifically designed for 50mm spotters and binos yet half the weight and size of the current model.

MtnMuley

WKR
Kind of disappointed in my newest Pan Head. Not even close to as smooth as other friends new Pan Heads. Works fine for a big spotter, but no way can I video fluidly with a small video camera. Very "jerky". Almost think I have a lemon.

Bino adapter and stud are the best system I've seen.

I love the micro pan head for it's light weight and its very smooth. However, it seems strange that the Swaro 65 spotter is so unbalanced on it. Unless it is set "just right" the spotter likes to fall backwards on the micro pan head. It is so out of balance that I have to tighten and loosen the head every time to adjust the spotter up or down. Maybe it's the fault of the Swaro spotter but I would think there's a way to balance it better. Or, is that what your balance plate is for? If that is what it is for then is the 5" length necessary?

I own a pistol grip with panning attachment. I’m a big fan of the pistol grip, and use it mainly with binoculars and then flip to my 65mm spotter to get a closer look at something. The pistol grip has recently started to stick and squeak, though, which is annoying. Hard to glass as smoothly as I used to.

I'd also be curious to see what you guys could do with an Outdoorsmans brand carbon fiber tripod.

aron

WKR
I am with MtnMuley and agree on the adjustability of my pan head. The locking lever needs a larger range of compression. Mine is either locked or unlocked and next to impossible to pan with. This is even with a 65mm spotter and is disappointing. I am curious if it is supposed to be this way? I would also like to see the panheads have arca swiss compliant adapter plates and for the pan heads and tripods be anodized with a flat coyote tan or something other than black.

1. What do you like about our tripods / tripod heads? ex. size, usability, stability, load capacity, colors, materials, other features
- I like your selection of heads. I use the pan head for heavier spotters & the pistol grip for binos. I love how the legs extend. Maintenance is super easy, just use an Allen wrench. They are pretty bombproof. I’ve had my tripod for 15 years, and I’ve only had to replace the center post tightening screw because the plastic knob broke off. I was sent a replacement for free. The tripod weight works well for stability. Which leads me to...

2. What don't you like about our tripods / tripod heads? ex. size, usability, stability, load capacity, colors, materials, other features
- The weight. I do not use your tripod on backpack style hunts, or hunts that involve air travel. It’s just too heavy. There are better options. Yes, you lose some stability but it’s worth it when those situations arise.

- A lightweight tripod option.

- I use it on the shooting range, in the bay window of the hunting cabin, at the truck, and when day hunting. Again, I use a pan head for spotters, a pistol grip for binos. I’ve shot off the pan head using a “v” attachment & I’ve shot off the pistol grip turned to the side. On the pistol grip I added a limbsaver strip (https://limbsaver.com/products/insulator-strip-2-pack) to the side flat spot for shooting off of. The strip adds grip and padding.

OP
Outdoorsmans_Dan

Outdoorsmans_Dan

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Like.... the heads and adapters. Bino adapter is a must for me. Outstanding build quality.

Dislikes....your tripods. Tried a medium and just prefer my slik carbon fiber better.

Would like to see..... an outdoorsmans carbon fiber tripod tall enough to stand and glass with. Would like to see a true fluid head panner. My manfrotto is a lot less finicky with my big spotter than my outdoorsmans regular pan head. Yes it is bigger and heavier but I like the way it moves better.

I mainly use your panhead and pistol grip head for binocular use.
Thanks for the feedback!

OP
Outdoorsmans_Dan

Outdoorsmans_Dan

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I just recently bought the Bino Adapter, Quick Disconnect, and Micro PanHead. Haven't had a chance to use yet outside of the house, but initial thought.......your stuff is awesome! I will be using my new setup with binoculars only. Don't own a spotter, and don't plan on buying one.

Was looking for a lightweight setup, and small package, your Micro PanHead seemed the perfect fit for me.
Glad to hear it! Let us know what you think when you get a chance to put it to use.

OP
Outdoorsmans_Dan

Outdoorsmans_Dan

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
The bino adapter is perfect!

The micro head is good but has a couple large draw backs for me. With spotter only it will handle heavy loads well, so long as the weight is balanced. It becomes incredibly finicky when a Digi scoping set up is used. It would be nice if there was a long or multi position mounting plate that could be mounted on the scope to re-center the weight with a camera added.

I just ordered the full size so I can only speak to the weekend I borrowed one but it seems robust enough to accommodate an imbalanced load, Locks in place accurately and is incredibly stable.

I wish I had enough money to buy one of your tripods but Its hard to justify the price compared to other quality options on the market. They are no doubt nice and some of the most stable (carbon fiber sucks) but other quality aluminum options are half or less.
Have you tried using a balance plate? We have also developed balance plates for stability with heavier setups like the Swarovski BTX (or a DSLR), and another for arca-swiss compatibility. Thanks for your feedback!

OP
Outdoorsmans_Dan

Outdoorsmans_Dan

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Really like all the heads, adapters, panners and bino hand.

Would really like to see a pistol grip head half the size of the current specifically designed for 50mm spotters and binos yet half the weight and size of the current model.
When you say half the size, are you referring to the height specifically? Thanks for the feedback!

OP
Outdoorsmans_Dan

Outdoorsmans_Dan

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Kind of disappointed in my newest Pan Head. Not even close to as smooth as other friends new Pan Heads. Works fine for a big spotter, but no way can I video fluidly with a small video camera. Very "jerky". Almost think I have a lemon.
Sorry to hear it! Give us a call if you have the time; we'd love the chance to fix that. 1-800-291-8065
Thanks for the feedback!

rfc86

FNG
- I use the pan head for for binos (swaro 10x42 & 15x56). I think it is leaps and bounds above other heads. Very smooth and easy to adjust. The bino adpater and stud are the best. I own a carbon fiber tripod but I did use an Outdoorsmans tripod for glassing session on an Elk Hunt in New Mexico. It was stable and very easy to adjust. No complaints. Not sure I would trade in my promaster for the Outdoorsmans but never say never.

- Binos

OP
Outdoorsmans_Dan

Outdoorsmans_Dan

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Bino adapter and stud are the best system I've seen.

I love the micro pan head for it's light weight and its very smooth. However, it seems strange that the Swaro 65 spotter is so unbalanced on it. Unless it is set "just right" the spotter likes to fall backwards on the micro pan head. It is so out of balance that I have to tighten and loosen the head every time to adjust the spotter up or down. Maybe it's the fault of the Swaro spotter but I would think there's a way to balance it better. Or, is that what your balance plate is for? If that is what it is for then is the 5" length necessary?
That is what the balance plate is for. Ideally, you would not need to be on the end of the 5", however if you're set up on a slope or in awkward angles, the additional length offers a little extra flexibility. Typically, we recommend getting them balanced with your spotter on level ground and just leaving them on your spotter. That gives you the option to balance the optic by moving the plate forward or backward on the tripod head when you set up in the field. Thanks for the feedback; I hope that helps!

OP
Outdoorsmans_Dan

Outdoorsmans_Dan

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I own a pistol grip with panning attachment. I’m a big fan of the pistol grip, and use it mainly with binoculars and then flip to my 65mm spotter to get a closer look at something. The pistol grip has recently started to stick and squeak, though, which is annoying. Hard to glass as smoothly as I used to.

I'd also be curious to see what you guys could do with an Outdoorsmans brand carbon fiber tripod.
Thanks for the feedback! If you haven't already, give us a call and we'll see what we can do about your pistol grip. Glad you've enjoyed it thus far! 1-800-291-8065

OP
Outdoorsmans_Dan

Outdoorsmans_Dan

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I am with MtnMuley and agree on the adjustability of my pan head. The locking lever needs a larger range of compression. Mine is either locked or unlocked and next to impossible to pan with. This is even with a 65mm spotter and is disappointing. I am curious if it is supposed to be this way? I would also like to see the panheads have arca swiss compliant adapter plates and for the pan heads and tripods be anodized with a flat coyote tan or something other than black.
We've got an arca-swiss balance plate that sound like the solution to your problem. As always, we're happy to talk to you to find a solution that works best. If you don't think the plate I mentioned will work or there's something else you need, give us a call and we'll get you squared away. 1-800-291-8065

OP
Outdoorsmans_Dan

Outdoorsmans_Dan

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
- I like your selection of heads. I use the pan head for heavier spotters & the pistol grip for binos. I love how the legs extend. Maintenance is super easy, just use an Allen wrench. They are pretty bombproof. I’ve had my tripod for 15 years, and I’ve only had to replace the center post tightening screw because the plastic knob broke off. I was sent a replacement for free. The tripod weight works well for stability. Which leads me to...

- The weight. I do not use your tripod on backpack style hunts, or hunts that involve air travel. It’s just too heavy. There are better options. Yes, you lose some stability but it’s worth it when those situations arise.

- A lightweight tripod option.

- I use it on the shooting range, in the bay window of the hunting cabin, at the truck, and when day hunting. Again, I use a pan head for spotters, a pistol grip for binos. I’ve shot off the pan head using a “v” attachment & I’ve shot off the pistol grip turned to the side. On the pistol grip I added a limbsaver strip (https://limbsaver.com/products/insulator-strip-2-pack) to the side flat spot for shooting off of. The strip adds grip and padding.
We are constantly researching ways to bring weights down without sacrificing stability, and hearing your experience with our tripods is part of that process, so thank you for the feedback. It's always rewarding to hear our products going strong after 15 years of use! Love the use of the limbsaver strip too! Thanks for sharing.