Outdoorsmans Pack?

So I can compare to my old duplex, and my new stone glacier. Like mentioned the pack would work for a beginner. I would probably buy it over a badland or eberlestock type of pack. I did not like the lack of load lifters and just couldn't get it to fit for me.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
I tried one on at their store. Great guys at the shop who spent a lot of time adjusting it, but it never felt right on me. Load lifters didn't work well either. I ended up with a MR Metcalf that fits me like a glove. I love a lot of the design on the outdoorsman bag, if it would have fit me like the MR I'd own it.

bisblue

WKR
I bought my optics pack last season and packed out two elk with it. I bought the muley pack off a forum but haven't used it yet. Outer side pockets aren't the best size for the standard nalgene, but work good with something smaller. I really like mine, but it is different from the internal frame packs I am used to as a rock climbing guide.

The first time I put it on it's like whoa, but I really loved it for packing out with just the frame. I'm thinking about taking it on a weeklong backpacking trip in the grand canyon just for fun. Maybe splurge for a pod and nalgene pocket.

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like I am late to the thread but I can add some thoughts on the pack. I have the Yukon Pack and Frame from Wilderness pack specialties. Which I believe is the same pack? Ive always wondered what the main differences area. I cant notice many.

I had them add additional straps so I could pack meat between the bag and frame. They work ok, but not for large loads. The straps arent long enough. For a day back it is bulky. Wide frame and a little noisy but that might be from a few years of use out of it. Straps rub on the frame. Going through thick timber is the only time I wish I had a smaller pack on. Navigating with it on gets frustrating. That belt and pads are comfortable but I would also say, like someone else on here, that the lumbar pad is lacking a bit. Not much support. I have thought about adding more volume behind the lumbar pad to help this. They may have come out with a replacement belt. I would need to look but believe I read that somewhere. I also agree on the load lifters. It helps a bit but for the most part it simply stabilizes the load. I never had an issue with organizing my gear and im still satisfied with the pack. Plenty of separation for me. The material on the pack is really nice and durable. It isnt water proof, just water resistant. I would also say the material is quiet for how durable it is. Ive had no problem carrying enough gear in the 5000 cu in. bag for 8 to 9 days. You can even extend the volume by separating the bag away from the frame (additional straps like I mentioned before). I do find the rifle and bow scab to be worthless. If there is any volume in the pack the bow or rifle doesnt line up and carry very well. A rifle fits nicely for short trips and day hunts with the scope being protected from the mid pocket. that is one nice use of the rifle carrier. I have adjusted my outlook on the pack to want and carry a nice day pack. I will still be using and carrying in the frame but attaching a small pack (spike camp and pouches) that will allow me to drop it off at my camp. I still want the ability to carry bone in quarters out. Its the way I prefer it. Ill attach a few pictures of the frame at work.

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 55565
Pack loaded with a week of hunting gear

View attachment 55566
Heaviest load ive taken so far. The pack was not fitting right

View attachment 55567
Single front shoulder

Ive adjusted the pack quite a few times, so you can see the load lifters and straps arent always the same. Simply put, I didnt know how a pack was supposed to fit me. Ive tweaked it over the last few years to my liking and it can handle loads as comfortable as I know.

Attachments

• Yukon.jpg
    Yukon.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Gamebags and Pack.jpg
    Gamebags and Pack.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Last pack.jpg
    Last pack.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 55568
This was half a cow loaded on the yukon frame. I have it fitting pretty well for my liking in this picture.

View attachment 55569
Front shoulder and hind quarter off a bull. About as much as it could handle volume wise with just the frame. Using paracord I could have strapped more. Didnt want to, though.

View attachment 55570
Front shoulder and Hind quarter of a cow. You can see the straps dont have that much room to expand. I actually had to rest the front shoulder between the rear leg and my back. It wasnt bad, except for the blood dripping off....

Attachments

• IMG_2031.jpg
    IMG_2031.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Game Bags.jpg
    Game Bags.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN6040 - Copy.jpg
    DSCN6040 - Copy.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

RMarciano

FNG
I have the Optics Pack (just the bag to start) and Glassing Pad arriving Monday. I'll leave some impressions once I get some time with it if anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk