Outdoorsmans external frame packs

There have been a handful of threads about these packs over the years, but I wanted to check in and see if any folks had fresh feedback to share about the Outdoorsmans frame packs. The hipbelts seem pretty simple (not that that's a bad thing). Looks like the load lifters won't do much for anyone without a pretty short torso. But I like external frames for hauling, and the idea of a short, compact external frame is appealing to me. Pretty curious if the quality is there in terms of materials and construction.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had one a few years back as I liked the frame and features.
I just couldn't keep it from slipping down on my waist and it didn't pack a heavy load very well.
FWIW.

Randy

Kpdaniels

FNG
I’ve been using the optics hunter for many years and just recently switched the bag out for their new palisade 90. I’ve had the frame and harness for 10 years and it’s still in great shape. I like the new palisade 90 a lot I think they upgraded all the things I would have changed about the old optics hunter. I also have the butte lumbar pack and I like it a lot as well.
I don’t know why there’s not more out there about these packs. I’ve never used a kifaru/stone glacier or anything like that so maybe I don’t know what I’m missing but I have never wanted for anything more than what my outdoorsman’s system gets me.

OP
C
A handful of media personalities used them for a while. Not sure if it was just a sponsorship thing or if Rinella and the others really liked them.

I was an external frame guy for many years. Kelty and alps outdoors. Then I tried a mystery ranch Metcalf. Way more comfortable at least for me. I can carry a lot more weight.

OP
C
I’ve tried most packs… I’ve worked my way back around to thinking that a fairly rigid external frame with a wider footprint than a typical internal frame might be the best solution for real heavy loads. The outdoorsman appeals to me as a less tall and more modern option than an old Kelty.

They used to be popular in my neck of the woods years ago, still have a few friends who use them and like them… they are very simple packs, which I like, but for me personally, they are no exo or kifaru when it comes to weight