Outdoorsman Tripod Compact vs Standard

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I've never used a tripod as I've been slowly building my gear as I can afford it and a tripod seemed like a want not a necessity. Everything I've read sounds like it is a valuable piece of weight to carry and will add to my abilities. I think I've landed on purchasing a tripod from Outdoorsman and can't decide between the standard and the compact length. I'm solely a backpack hunter at this point so weight matters. I'm 6'1" and foresee myself using this from a seated postion on the ground while glasing. I also would like to be able to use it as a rest while kneeling or sitting if/when the opportunity presents itself. I've called and spoke with Outdoorsman and was told they didn't really see the value/usefullness of the compact (which surpised me) but in my mind the added 12oz isn't negligible. Does anyone have any experience they can share? Thanks

I had the medium and sold it to get the standard. I've never had the compact so I can't say anything about it. If you're counting ounces then the compact is probably the one to go with. I myself am 5'7" and I love the standard. I even added the center post extension. I can stand behind the setup and glass if I wanted. I mainly hunt the backcountry with my pack as well. You can't go wrong with an Outdoorsmans setup no matter what it is. I don't mind the extra weight because I know when it's time to sit down and glass behind a tripod it's worth the weight. (Which isn't that bad)

I’m 5’8” and went with the standard as well. I didn’t see much use in the compact as well. With the standard you can still sit, kneel, and you will find yourself standing more than you think. I used the shooting fork on my last antelope hunt and shot it standing up. Rock solid!