Outdoor Research Men's Coldfront

Has anyone used this puffy? If so whats you're take on the warmth?

It apparently has 150grams of 700fill down. Seems pretty warm

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and it’s my everyday winter jacket. I like it a lot and it’s held up pretty well too. It’s not a full on parka, but to -10 I don’t need much underneath the jacket to stay warm.
I think it fits well and it’s not too short like some of the newer styles seem to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I owned one for about 3 days. Went on a little puffy shopping spree this fall. Bought and returned 6 of them or so. I didn’t use it, but here were my out of the box thoughts on the OR:

OR Coldfront Down Jacket - Black - XXXL - $229 from OR. Fit is fine. No cuff adjustments and a few other features missing. Its thinner than the marmot and Montbell and doesn't appear that warm. The out shell is heavier weight but overall weight is 25.6 oz. Overall this feels more like a causal jacket that could do OK in the mountains but that isn't really designed for it. It also doesn't seem to be in the same class as the other for warmth. Catch and release For me

pawlyb

FNG
It is quite warm. I owned it previously. Warmer than SG Grumman and less warm than Kelvin WS Down Hoody. I would say it will go to -10 Celsius. It's not very light, but does feel somewhat more durable than the ultra-light types. Nice pocket layout. No wrist cuff elastic or strap, and no hood adjustment I believe. Deep discounts occur periodically. If on a budget and need something for moderate cold I certainly think this is worth considering. If optimizing kit I think there's better options. Fits a little large - I'm an L Sitka and XL Kuiu and the L Coldfront was plenty (not excessive)

Zwiefel12

FNG
I have this as my puffy to use after September. I really really like it. It's shockly warm and windproof. This past winter I wore it internationally during very cold 10-20° Fahrenheit days with serious wind. Only a t shirt underneath and could not feel any wind coming through. Given I was just walking for about 30 mins but never had any warmth issues during those times. I also like it has synthetic in certain areas for added durability.

For the price I really don't think this can be beat. There are multiple websites to get this under $100. That's an insane deal when comparable puffys are $300+

Someone needs to come up with a scientific puffy test.

I can't remember if I read it here, heard it in a podcast or what, but individual experiences with puffies are incredible hard to quantify. What I said was super warm might have been because I wore it while hiking in 40 degree weather, and what someone else said wasn't warm enough was used while glassing in single digit temps.

Zwiefel12

FNG
Someone needs to come up with a scientific puffy test.

I can't remember if I read it here, heard it in a podcast or what, but individual experiences with puffies are incredible hard to quantify. What I said was super warm might have been because I wore it while hiking in 40 degree weather, and what someone else said wasn't warm enough was used while glassing in single digit temps.
I couldn't agree more. To me puffys are supposed to be for sitting. Shoot I can wear a Tshirt when I'm hiking hard into low Temps, I don't care how a puffy performs on the move.

I was just giving an example of me wearing a t-shirt underneath and jot feeling any wind. For what it's worth I would walk 10 mins to pick my kids up from school, wait for them for 10 mins and walk 10 mins home. I never had any issue with wind coming through or feeling like this wasn't enough jacket. I think 150gm is a pretty sufficient puffy jacket compared to others out there before you step into the big boy Chamberlins, or Kelvin WS down.