Outdoor Research Bivy

Takeem406

WKR
Looking into a bivy for the first time. Im looking into OR's maybe the Helium or a different model.
Planning on running it with a tarp for the summer into through September.
Big thing will to keep the ants and other bugs off.

Thanks

Sent from my A3-A20 using Tapatalk

chmusar

FNG
I use a msr AC bivy ,lots of room ,lightweight and very durable but the colour is not the best for wild camping

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
Takeem406

Takeem406

WKR
Also looking more towards their Advanced bivy.. MSR makes great stuff! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
I've spent a handful of nights in a Borah bivy, and use it with a jimmy tarps granite mtn. Used it in the absaroka- beartooth's in September and it worked. It wasn't the most comfortable, but it weathered a snow storm just fine and was ultra light weight @ 15oz for bivy and tarp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the OR Molecule a couple nights and sent it back ASAP. It breathed about as well as a garbage bag. I understand its a bivy and some condensation is to be expected but the low was in the 50's the first night I used it and the amount of condensation I woke up with was not acceptable.

BUT the Molecule is their cheapest bivy so I'd expect better performance from the Alpine. I have a bunch of other OR stuff and really like it, just not the Molecule.

GA Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a couple OR Bivy's and they got the job done but there are some better choices out there.. I have a MLD e-vent Bivy now and love it. It is a lot lighter and I like that it has a side zipper and the way the hood works.

Look into the Borah Gear SnowySide event bivy for bombproof protection, excellent breath ability, and weighs less than 1#.

molon labe

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
I bought an OR Advanced Bivy years ago when they first became available and have a fair amount of time in it over the years. There are better options these days; lighter weight "full featured" bivies, bivies coupled with tarps and the latest generation of tents. Oh, and regardless of what you decide, understand that weathering a storm of any length in just a bivie is something only the hardcore would relish doing twice.