OTF Knife - recommendations? An edc to and fro to hunting camp.

repins05

WKR
Looking for an mid range otf knife. I always had an edc knife with me which includes to and fro to hunting camp. The 8 hour truck drive I take every year. It is usually with me on my close to home scouting trips. I switch out to my hunting knife when I hit the woods. Anyway.....I personally carry an Infidel. My daughter is asking for one for her birthday. Feeling like I want to stay in the $100.00 - $150.00 range ..... or less if it is quality. Anyone have any recommendations?

I have a heap of them , not any horses in there race , but take a look @ the OFF GRID Knives offerings on AMZN .

OP
R

repins05

WKR
I have a heap of them , not any horses in there race , but take a look @ the OFF GRID Knives offerings on AMZN .
Thx. Will do. Started looking at brands that I didn't recognize.....which is a lot.......and is a bit overwhelming. Just wanting something with decent quality and will hold up. Infidel is great but to much $$$. Thx.

intunegp

WKR
Cobratec are pretty good for the money, I've been around two different models that are regularly abused and never maintained and both are still operational. Lighning OTFs are often recommended for budget/starter knives too but I don't have any experience with them.

OP
R

repins05

WKR
Cobratec are pretty good for the money, I've been around two different models that are regularly abused and never maintained and both are still operational. Lighning OTFs are often recommended for budget/starter knives too but I don't have any experience with them.
Will check them out.

crich

WKR
Since you said its for your daughter do some research on how stiff the buttons are on whatever you decide. I have a microtech thats hard to fire for the majority of guys I hand it to; let alone my wife or sister. On the other hand my infidel is almost too easy.

OP
R

repins05

WKR
Since you said its for your daughter do some research on how stiff the buttons are on whatever you decide. I have a microtech thats hard to fire for the majority of guys I hand it to; let alone my wife or sister. On the other hand my infidel is almost too easy.
Good suggestion. I have eyed the microtech for myself. Interesting that they are that stiff. I am use to my infidel which doesn't take much.

RgrLW2012

FNG
I have a Microtech UTX70 that's right around your price point, has a 2.5 inch blade (legally about as safe as you can be w/ an auto knife), and opens pretty easily. My only complaint is the double edge isn't a particularly convenient utility blade. If purchasing again, I would get a single edge or a tanto.

crich

WKR
Good suggestion. I have eyed the microtech for myself. Interesting that they are that stiff. I am use to my infidel which doesn't take much.
Ive only messed with a sample size of 2 but its something to consider regardless.

rcb2000

WKR
I’ll second that, my wife and daughter couldn’t fire my Microtech, and some guys even struggled with it.

intunegp

WKR
Microtechs have a notoriously stiff switch but it's not anything the average user can't get accustomed to over time. Yes, if you hand it to someone that has never fired one before they will likely struggle. Some newer models have Nickle Boron coated internals and while I haven't handled one people say that makes the switch feel smoother and easier to deploy. I've also thought the new-ish Glykon model with switches on the front, side, and back would allow you to "pinch" the front and back ones to deploy which might make things easier.

Guardian Tactical has a unique ball bearing switch and they are far and away the most popular high-end OTF for people who think Microtechs are too hard to fire. I have handled them in knife stores and they definitely take a lot less thumb strength than a Microtech. They're high quality knives but I just don't like the aesthetics as much as Microtech.

Other popular brands are Heretic (owned by Anthony Marfione of Microtech's son), Axial, and Hogue. Kershaw has an OTF on the market that's supposedly pretty nice for the money. I've heard bad things about the SOG Pentagon and would probably avoid it. AKC is another popular budget brand.