OTC Colorado Archery Elk opportunity

perm_dogg

FNG
I'm sure this has been discussed at length elsewhere, but I'm getting dizzy trying to get a straight answer. Here's the low down;
- want to go DIY hunt on public, set up camp, fend for myself
- not picky on Bull or Cow, don't care about trophies
- willing to just buy small game and get my feet wet.- have gear and experience
My big concern is WHERE do I goe? Where can I go park a truck and head into the hills to bow hunt without trespassing?

OP
P

perm_dogg

FNG
Nobody is going to tell you where to go in particular.
So I've noticed 😑 I get it. But I'm not asking for a particular spot. Just a general area to start. Like, "try the Gunnison area" you know "Learn the lay of the land" and all that good stuff. It's going to be a shot in the dark regardless.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I've noticed I get it. But I'm not asking for a particular spot. Just a general area to start. Like, "try the Gunnison area" you know "Learn the lay of the land" and all that good stuff. It's going to be a shot in the dark regardless.
Ok try the Gunnison area there are plenty of elk there

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

OP, you've got a little more homework to do before anyone here can even be useful.

Give CO game and fish a phone call, they're going to answer a lot over the phone. It seems like you may be confused over public land use rules, not all states have true public land so I can understand it can be a foreign concept. Mostly national Forest and BLM usually you can use, assuming it overlaps the boundaries of your OTC unit. Also you can actually call and speak to Forest service people if you're really confused. Heck you can walk into a guard shack and talk to them in person. You need to know where you're at especially if you're super confused, get the one-state subscription to OnX maps app and learn how to use it. It will help reinforce your knowledge.

Praynprey

FNG
Not trying to be a jerk, but packing up the truck during the second week of archery with only knowing the destination is a recipe for an unfilled tag, disappointing/horrible first experience and possibly disaster. Most people spend a year trying to figure out how to make it happen. Couple questions you need to ask:

*Do I have the right gear for the mountains? Temps range wildly down to below freezing with snow and possibly 80s during the day. The wrong gear will get you hurt
* Are you in shape to be able to hunt at 10,000 ft?
* Do you know the regs?
* would it be better to wait so you can plan better?

Also as a side note OTC Archery will be eliminated in CO next year.

OP
P

perm_dogg

FNG
Been "studying" for at least a year. Just forgot to do the most important part. Figure out where to go. I have the gear. (Stupid expensive gear at that. And yes I know expensive doesn't mean perfect)
I workout 5 days a week at minimum, hike with 50lbs up and down hills or "train" constantly. More in the past few months. Outside of hunting, I love primitive camping. It's a passion. I've climbed a mountain in MTY MX in gym shoes and a cell phone for a light (not smart!) Other than never Elk Hunting. I think I check all the other boxes. All fair questions/concerns. But as most tell me. "just gotta get out and do it and go from there" 😁

OP
P

perm_dogg

FNG
I think a one-state OnX membership would be worth it here.
On X Elite guy here 🙋🏼‍♂️ Although, admittedly, not 100% familiar with the ins and outs of the app. For everyone's information in hopes to not sound quite so ignorant.... I am actively researching and looking into all this rigorously. Every day. This is my dart at the board attempt for an easy button. Ha ha