OTC 2025 Bear

I am wanting to take my wife on an over the counter archery black bear hunt. I have been on a bear hunt before with some buddies but not sure on what state I should take her and or decent areas? I only really know elk not too much about bear. Any tips or need to know info helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idaho or Alaska, depending on your budget. Washington State wouldn't be a bad choice, or Oregon. But I'd opt for Idaho or Alaska.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Definitely agree with Idaho and Alaska. Idaho has 2 bear units on the western side close to Coeur de’Alene. A very beautiful area to spend some time after the hunt.

EdP

WKR
As discussed above, Idaho has a number of "reduced bear tag" units. As a non-res you can buy 2 tags for $41.75 ea good only in the reduced tag unit(s). With your $185 big game license that is a deal. In general the bears are not big but there are a lot of color phase black bears. Idaho F&G is serious about predator management and that creates a great opportunity for folks that want to hunt bears.

huntsd

WKR
As discussed above, Idaho has a number of "reduced bear tag" units. As a non-res you can buy 2 tags for $41.75 ea good only in the reduced tag unit(s). With your $185 big game license that is a deal. In general the bears are not big but there are a lot of color phase black bears. Idaho F&G is serious about predator management and that creates a great opportunity for folks that want to hunt bears.
What qualifies a unit for the reduced fee? High populations of bear?

What qualifies a unit for the reduced fee? High populations of bear?

It’s also the lack of hunting in those areas. It’s an incentive to get more people into those areas to hunt as well as a population control measure. Those areas also have reduced lion tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would hunt WA if I was hunting otc out of state and didn't want to go to AK. Last time I researched WA had the highest bear density in the lower 48. You are allowed 2 bears a year there.