Orvis Upland Sling Pack thoughts

What do ya all think? VS Wingworks or FinalRise?
This one?

I like it a lot.

I like Wingworks. I think the Final Rise is ugly.

Personally wear a Filson pro strap vest, the Orvis is similar.

It may be vain, but I like attractive upland gear. Lots of walking and seeing for a little bit of shooting and less eating.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240909_210327_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240909_210327_Chrome.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 22

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Wingworks is heavy. Didn't like the weird long pockets either. Never used a final rise.

I use an old orvis sling vest. Had it for 8 or so years. It works for me. No strap on my gun side.

Screenshot_20240909_204539_Chrome.jpg

jmez

WKR
I can't compare. I have a Final Rise. Really nice vest and well made. It is light, comfortable and very functional. Seems to be well made and durable as well. I don't baby mine, it rides in the back of the pickup. I just toss it in and go. I've used it for three seasons now and it shows very little wear. I hunt a lot so it sees some use.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2024 using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
T

the plzr

FNG
a buddy of mine uses a FinalRise. He says that only poseurs and pretenders would be seen with one of those sling packs (he compared it to a fanny pack or aka fag bag). Even though the Orvis is $100 less VS FinalRise, I think the higher price is worth it not to look like a doosh

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Edit. My comment added nothing to the discussion

Last edited:

CMP70306

WKR
I went with the chief upland vest in full orange, I am just getting into bird hunting and if I was spending the money I wanted a vest I could also use on deer drives. We push through some thick cover so the extra orange is preferred to ensure the other drivers and standers can see me when I’m in sight.

Those final rise are nice. I am not ever gonna wear the cheap vest I have out, and only upland hunt 4-6 days a year, so will probably never get a nicer one. Hasn't orvis made a sling pack for every outdoor activity now?

chemist

FNG
I am amazed some people have such strong opinions about what others buy/use.

Different horses for different courses folks. I live in the west with a 4 month bird season. I am 37 years old and primarily bird hunt. There is a very real possibility that I spend another 1,000 plus days in my life bird hunting. Early season temperatures can be 80 plus degrees with no water in sight which means I often carry 2 plus gallons (17 + pounds) of water for me and the dogs. Plus the weight of ammo, snacks, pliers, dog controller, etc plus hopefully birds. I can end up carrying a decent amount of weight for 10-15 miles. I hunt from single digits to hot and so I wanted a strap vest for flexibility in layering. For me I wanted something durable that could distribute weight and I went with final rise though others such as wing works(availability issues) would also serve my needs. Being American made is a plus.

That said some people go for a series of half mile hikes that return periodically to the truck and hunt by water so they don't need to carry water for the dog. When I find myself on this type of hunt which is much less often I will sometimes wear a browning vest.

To the OP, how and what do you upland hunt?

j_volt

WKR
I am amazed some people have such strong opinions about what others buy/use.

Different horses for different courses folks. I live in the west with a 4 month bird season. I am 37 years old and primarily bird hunt. There is a very real possibility that I spend another 1,000 plus days in my life bird hunting. Early season temperatures can be 80 plus degrees with no water in sight which means I often carry 2 plus gallons (17 + pounds) of water for me and the dogs. Plus the weight of ammo, snacks, pliers, dog controller, etc plus hopefully birds. I can end up carrying a decent amount of weight for 10-15 miles. I hunt from single digits to hot and so I wanted a strap vest for flexibility in layering. For me I wanted something durable that could distribute weight and I went with final rise though others such as wing works(availability issues) would also serve my needs. Being American made is a plus.

That said some people go for a series of half mile hikes that return periodically to the truck and hunt by water so they don't need to carry water for the dog. When I find myself on this type of hunt which is much less often I will sometimes wear a browning vest.

To the OP, how and what do you upland hunt?
Do you like the Final Rise?

JohnB

WKR
I've got one of the Orvis packs and it's done alright for me for 4-6 hour hunts. That said I haven't tried to lug 8 pheasants around in it. Being in my mid thirties and hunting less than 10 days of upland hunting a year this thing will last me the rest of my life.

Edit: FWIW it looks like my vest is a Pro LT from about 6 years ago.

Last edited:

chemist

FNG
Do you like the Final Rise?
I do for my purposes and don't regret buying it. I have the regular summit vest, not the xt.

There are a couple things I would change that are nitpicking but nothing too major. The straps are thin and don't get in the way of my mount. The load bearing is good and it easy to load birds in the back for me.

One complaint is the water bottles that came with it are cheap champion bottles that I can order online for $2 each which means the company is probably paying $1 each. For a $300 vest from a company that preaches quality they could have included nicer water bottles. That said if they didn't include any bottles for the same price I would of thought nothing of it.

I run an alpha 100 in there pouch on my shoulder strap. It is secure and I am not worried about my controller falling out but I do worry about taking a water break and forgetting my controller on a rock so I keep it on a lanyard. A hole in the bottom of the pouch that I could run a retractable lanyard through would of been slick.

IDMNT17

FNG
Very hard to beat Final Rise. I have had many others Tenzing, Wing Works, Orvis. They all work. The durability, fit and modularity of Final Rise are top notch.