Oregon 17 Points, Steens, Wait for N Werner?

Oregon 17 Points

• Steens

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • N Warner

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other, please list

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Yes yes I do want you Honey Holes
Never had an Antelope tag in my life. Was hoping to go to Wyoming to shoot does 1st as I'm pretty hoped up to shoot the 1st one I see.
But 17 points, 41 yrs old and it will be my first goat tag should definitely hold out for something above average.
I know Warner will be a few more years.
Really just looking for info on access, goats to hunt, if there is a legitimate crop of decent bucks that you can actually get access to throughout the season.
I believe Roaring Springs will still let a hunter or 2 on per year but not certain.
I've never really asked for this kinda info so not sure where to go or what to ask.

I'm mostly looking for a fun hunt for a decent buck, if I can even tell one.
I just don't want to stress access, or not see anything.
Far as foot work. I would put no limitations on what I will do.
Thanks Bryan

Any idea on access in Steens unit if you can't get permission on Roaring Springs?
I know there's alot of public but I'm under the impression the most of the Antelope country is private.

The better roaring springs antelope hunting is in the east beatys butte unit.

DRUSS

WKR
was in Warner for the 20 1st season, and Juniper 2018, 19. didnt run into any access issues either unit. quite a few people. never could really feel alone anywhere. seemed like just over the horizon was another hunter in both units. havent been to steens.

OP
BRTreedogs
I'd imagine with the required points people hunt pretty hard.

Good point @switchback00 made on calling the Roaring Springs Bio been a couple years since I did the digging and forgot all about that.

was in Warner for the 20 1st season, and Juniper 2018, 19. didnt run into any access issues either unit. quite a few people. never could really feel alone anywhere. seemed like just over the horizon was another hunter in both units. havent been to steens.

I forget his name, but was a nice guy.

JeffP_Or

WKR
I'd imagine with the required points people hunt pretty hard.
I don't necessarily think that is the case - maybe for the Steens but in general, I was surprised at how many people took the first or second buck they saw and broke camp/headed home by Sunday. I felt I scouted quite a lot in the unit I drew - only saw others on the weekend leading up to the opener. Ran into several road hunters 'scouting' on opening day after either arriving late on Friday and scratching a camp out or earlier opening morning. There are, of course, the exceptions and some stay the full season - but the crowds definitely thinned Sunday/monday in my experince.

As for trying to pick a unit - that can be a tough call in Oregon. I don't know that there are any real stand outs and from what I researched, most any unit has potential - but they are what you make of them. There are a few duds; some still go for those units either because they want to experience it or they've been holding out for so long.

I've been Pronghorn hunting three times in Oregon - only once on my tag - and never in Warner or Steens. Interesting but the guy who stayed the longest, didn't fill his tag - had chances but could not catch up to what was found in prior days. A few things I found:
  • Finding a non-typical buck was easier than a large buck.
  • I was overwhelmed with the hunt after waiting 16 years; it was my first.
  • Regardless of the outcome, it was the best time ever.
For the hunt, I would look at Warner [I know a bit more about it]; for the experience, I would check out the Steens [and figure out the hunt as it went]. Bios seem to fly the units in July; call them early and get a feel for the unit and go visit. Call them back after they flew it with some areas and specifics.

Final tidbit - besides good luck - while scouting, locate a camp [even ask a bio] and get back to it early before the opener. Nice camps go quickly. Alternatively, and I witnessed this once, stay mobile and camp out of your truck.

Oregon

WKR
You'll find a goat in Steens for sure. I know a few small canyons that seem to hold goats every time I've been in them. Bird hunting and sheep hunting. Never goat hunting. The sheep hunts (2of them) were either during goat season or right after the end.
Steens has a 80% success rate, so I'm thinking it can't be that hard.
I do know that Roaring Springs will give you access for Sheep. Do not know if they allow for any other critters.

Flyjunky

WKR
I've spent quite a bit of time in Warner between scouting, coyote hunting, deer hunting, and hunting antelope in 2020. I would personally wait and go to Warner if I was choosing between those units.

With the drought we are going through horn growth won't be good. If you do decide to go to Warner send me a pm and I'll give you some spots to check out.

OP
BRTreedogs
What is the main advantage of 1st vs 2nd season.
First crack at them vs closer to the rut?

2nd season dates line up better for me in 2022 at least

Flyjunky

WKR
What is the main advantage of 1st vs 2nd season.
First crack at them vs closer to the rut?

2nd season dates line up better for me in 2022 at least
That about sums it up. I wouldn't hesitate to go 2nd season, that's when we hunted.