Order EXO K4 or Stick with Kifaru

Hey all. I haven’t had the chance to checkout the K4 in person. I’ve been running a Kifaru setup the last several seasons. I’m wondering what your opinion is between the k4 and Kifaru. Has anyone extensively compared the two? I’m debating whether or not to make the jump from my Kifaru setup to the K4. Anyone’s input is welcome. Thanks!

Mag_7s

WKR
Since the K4 technically is not out yet i don't think you'll find any head to head comparisons. Best bet would be to order one on Monday, try it out against your kifaru and you make the choice for you.

Last edited:
OP
S
Since the K4 technically is out yet i don't think you'll find any head to head comparisons. Best bet would be to order one on Monday, try it out against your kifaru and you make the choice for you.
i know there were several people who have been testing prototypes since last season. Im hoping someone may have tested them side by side.

Mag_7s

WKR
i know there were several people who have been testing prototypes since last season. Im hoping someone may have tested them side by side.
I think there are 2 threads going about the K4, I've read a little but couldn't keep up with the volume. Maybe someone in there might have something close.

mt100gr.

WKR
Whats got you wanting to get away from Kifaru?
Have you even given the duplex lite that you just bought a fair shake? Which frame have you been using prior to that?

I have a K3 that usually gets the nod and am curious about the K4, too. Waiting to hear lots more about them once there are significant numbers of them out and about.....and Kifaru is rumored to have some bigger internal frame packs on the way, as well.

OP
S
Have you even given the duplex lite that you just bought a fair shake? Which frame have you been using prior to that?

I have a K3 that usually gets the nod and am curious about the K4, too. Waiting to hear lots more about them once there are significant numbers of them out and about.....and Kifaru is rumored to have some bigger internal frame packs on the way, as well.
Used the Hunter frame before i got the lite.

It’s really all about the frame! The bags only hold the junk you carry so realistically any bag works, obviously there are many factors to a bag but that is it’s sole purpose. If you can try both with weight and figure out what feels better, that will be your answer

Jbxl20

WKR
I have a k3. For my size 5’ 9” 160lbs. I actually like the Kifaru hib belt better than the k3. I had some issues when I first bought it with it sagging down with a load. I’ve made some modifications and have the k3 fitting pretty well now and have used it the past 3 years. The EXO bags are the best IMO. My buddy runs a Kifaru frame with an EXO 4800 bag. I personally have the 3200 and 6400 bags

JD Jones

WKR
Im interested in the simplistic design of the exo as well as the straps on frame itself for securing a load
Well if I’m spending your money… I say order and compare… actually if you haven’t tried the SG frames and bags order one of those as well then keep the one that fits and handles the weight best! The K4 appears to have some great features.

JNDEER

WKR
Hey all. I haven’t had the chance to checkout the K4 in person. I’ve been running a Kifaru setup the last several seasons. I’m wondering what your opinion is between the k4 and Kifaru. Has anyone extensively compared the two? I’m debating whether or not to make the jump from my Kifaru setup to the K4. Anyone’s input is welcome. Thanks!

I don't have a K4, however I have owned every EXO pack they have made AND each Kifaru. The duplex lite is the best frame they have made and honestly you cannot truly compare a Duplex Lite to a EXO frame.

The Kifaru is a stiff rigid frame that has very little give/rotation side to side as you twist or move. I do more day hunting with a pack on all day bobbing and weaving around the woods. It can be done with a Kifaru, but historically this is where EXO shines. Every EXO, even the K2, had more lateral movement with your body as you twist and move around. Based on the video of the K4 and knowing how Steve has designed and made each of the packs over the years, I bet this one will have the same lateral movement.

If you don't need or want to move away from Kifaru and like how the frame fits and rides there would be no reason to buy a K4.

If you want to test the waters and try a pack that I believe will move better with your body as you walk around and want a dang simple bag layout system, get a K4 and try it out for 30 days.

I believe the Kifaru frame is best suited for heavy load on trail (or lightly off trail) spot and stalk type hunting.

I believe the EXO frame will not only be able to handle a heavy load on trail and off trail but will be a great pack for the day hunting who is still hunting around the woods all day.

S.Clancy

WKR
I've had the older Exo frames and a new Duplex Lite (I use Exo bags on both frames, the Kifaru bags suck)...I'm strongly considering selling the Kifaru and just having all Exo. But, it's still a good frame, just not all it's cracked up to be, or worth 430$ or whatever they sell for

I sold my kifaru setup and got the k4 and have zero regrets about it, I liked the kifaru a lot, still do, but my past experiences using previous exo’s and kifaru, I knew I was going to like the k4.

My 2 packs the past couple years were a k2 with a k3 belt, and duplex lite, and though very different, I had a hard time picking a favorite of the two

The changes they made with k4 is a clear tie breaker for me, I don’t know how the k4 can be improved upon for what I like out of a pack…. Not saying that will be the case with you, but it certainly is for me, I was able to come out ahead too, selling a very used 2 yr old pack and getting a brand new k4.

Exo kept their prices very reasonable, kifaru has become ridiculous… even from a couple years ago when I got my kifaru frames and bags. I like everything exo is doing as a company and what their goals are… can’t say that about current kifaru, but that is my personal feeling on the subject, but when given a choice, I will support the business that appreciates their customers

I had the Xcurve, K3 and duplex lite. Like the bag and comfort at lighter weight of the K3 but stayed with the xcurve due to performance at higher weighs. Duplex was a distant 3rd for me. I have been running the SG until now. Have high hopes for the K4.

ncavi8tor

WKR
I've been a Kifaru customer for several years. Just pre-ordered the EXO K4 5000 system with bells and whistles. Always looking for that perfect pack and frame! It's gonna save over 2lbs and I really like the Exo bag layout.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk