OR X Gaiter for late season?

JMDavies

WKR
It looks like they're designed to be used with crampons. For long glassing sits, check out Feathered Friends down boots or Steger Mukluks.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
It looks like they're designed to be used with crampons. For long glassing sits, check out Feathered Friends down boots or Steger Mukluks.

You can use crampons, but don’t have to. The insulation is removable, so you could potentially use them as non insulated gaiters when hiking and add the insulation for glassing. I do have a pair of down booties, but it can sometimes be so cold it’s hard to even take my boots off. I tried some boot blankets, but they are bulky as hell. I’m thinking these may be the solution.

thebest3

Lil-Rokslider
Outdoorresearch site suck. I just put in order last week and didn't see this item.. Alot of item are hidden. you have to know the exact name to get to a item. Atleast it free shipping. tempting to give it a try.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Outdoorresearch site suck. I just put in order last week and didn't see this item.. Alot of item are hidden. you have to know the exact name to get to a item. Atleast it free shipping. tempting to give it a try.

Just sent you a PM with some additional OR discounts. I ordered these. They seem to solve the late season problems, at least on paper.

JMDavies

WKR
You can use crampons, but don’t have to. The insulation is removable, so you could potentially use them as non insulated gaiters when hiking and add the insulation for glassing. I do have a pair of down booties, but it can sometimes be so cold it’s hard to even take my boots off. I tried some boot blankets, but they are bulky as hell. I’m thinking these may be the solution.
They sound like pretty nice gaiters. When you get a minute, check out Steger Mukluks. They're the boots Will Steger used in all of his trips to Antarctica.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
The gaiters help much??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do work. Not so durable for hiking on Rocks as they are made for snow, but I hiked shorter distances and glassed in them during 3rd rifle for 2 seasons and they aren’t beat up. My partner and I were both wearing mountaineering socks with uninsulated boot. He was complaining about his feet being frozen, but I was comfortable with these gaiters on. We’re both in comparable shape, both spend a lot of time out in cold weather/winter conditions. he’s 10 years younger, though, if that’s a data point.

Last edited:

jmannas

FNG
That is helpful. The lack of durability on the bottom is something I need to think about because I generally encounter mixed rock and snow. Seems like the crampons provide the natural protection for the bottoms, but I don’t see myself in crampons full-time, even in November Canadian Rockies.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
That is helpful. The lack of durability on the bottom is something I need to think about because I generally encounter mixed rock and snow. Seems like the crampons provide the natural protection for the bottoms, but I don’t see myself in crampons full-time, even in November Canadian Rockies.

You could easily have them customized with burlier straps under your feet -use Kevlar strips or other materials conventional gaiters use. I had one of my conventional gaiter straps repaired with a Kevlar strip and it was inexpensive. Still, since the gaiter covers your toes, you’ll need to be mildly careful around rocks. I was only wearing them while moving in more of a quiet, stalking manner or climbing to a glassing spot. They definitely aren’t for laying down miles on or off trail, but if you’re moving at that pace, your feet should be warm anyway.