OR Superstrand vs Kuiu/Sitka equivalent

jikkyo

FNG
Has anyone used the OR Superstrand synthetic jacket yet? Any comparisons with something like a Sitka Ambient or Kuiu 240 in terms of versatility?

For use mostly in the PNW of BC.

Funny,I was just reading about the VerticalX SuperStrand insulation. I bought my wife a vest but it is too early to judge it yet. It is very thin and very light. Thinner than my KUIU Super Down Ultra jacket. How warm remains to be seen.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the OR Superstrand and the Sitka Ambient. They're radically different pieces. If all you want is a very light insulation layer for static warmth in mild temps, either could be used. If you want more of an "active insulation" piece, the Ambient is the only answer between the two.

If you want to hear why I answer that way, and what my experience has been, listen to this starting at 9:45. I don't say that to be self-promotional (it is probably the first time I have shared a link to our podcast on here), but if you don't understand why the OR Superstrand and the Ambient are very different pieces, I think that could explain some helpful concepts.

sr80

WKR
The superstrand would be closer to the sitka aerolight than the ambient. I tried on a superstrand the other day, its a nice jacket. Not thick at all but seemed nice. Made me warm up quick in the store with a tshirt on.

sr80

WKR
I have the OR Superstrand and the Sitka Ambient. They're radically different pieces. If all you want is a very light insulation layer for static warmth in mild temps, either could be used. If you want more of an "active insulation" piece, the Ambient is the only answer between the two.

If you want to hear why I answer that way, and what my experience has been, listen to this starting at 9:45. I don't say that to be self-promotional (it is probably the first time I have shared a link to our podcast on here), but if you don't understand why the OR Superstrand and the Ambient are very different pieces, I think that could explain some helpful concepts.
Mark, how do you like the superstrand?

OP
jikkyo

jikkyo

FNG

Mark,

No need to worry about self promotion! I’ve been listening to the Hunt Backcountry podcast for a while now. Great podcast!

Do you think the Superstrand is a bit too warm or non breathable for active insulation?