Options for reducing Tikka T3x recoil

KenLee

WKR
My main shootin’ iron is a stainless T3 in 7mm-08. I realized years ago that a 150 gr ELDX at 2790 fps would kill just as well as a 30-06 at the distances I’m likely to shoot.

Over the last 10 years I’ve killed elk, deer, and antelope with it. Nothing needed a second shot.

I watched my dad kill a big 5x5 bull at 225 yards with his 7mm-08. One and done.

I watched my nephew kill a 5x6 bull at 409 yards with his 7mm-08. Shot more than once but didn’t need to.

Much lower recoil, pleasant to shoot, kills waaaaay above its weight class.

P
Baby 7 for the win!

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any idea if a stock like the rokstock will reduce felt recoil? I have my doubts, so I’m thinking brake or a lighter kicking cartridge Is the solution here.
The short answer is yes. I have the stockys vg on a 280ai and it really is a pussycat to shoot. It only weights 8lbs all in and the felt recoil with 180s at 2850 is less than from my 308 in a factory t3x stock .

I am late to the party, but will echo what a lot of others have already said. Sell your current one or trade it for the same gun in 6.5 Creedmoor. Shoot the factory 143 grain ELD-X or 147 grain ELD-M, or load your own and then go shoot stuff. You will enjoy it, and the animals you shoot will be just as dead as if you had shot them with a 30-06. Most likely quicker as you won’t have a horrible flinch that will make your shots iffy.

d) stop buying the stomper Tikkas.

Always kick hard for the caliber and weight
Even my 270 would start getting rough shooting a lot from prone. For some reason, stock tikkas kick harder than others for me, never understood it but I’ve had several and for Caliber they kick harder

On the other hand, I am not really interested in anything but a tikka, so aftermarket furniture an more mellow cartridges for me

My 308 in a bravo is easy to shoot, a lot more comfortable than my 270 stock

Like some other folks mentioned, Tikka stocks have a pretty significant drop at the comb, so the recoil hits you in the cheek as well as the shoulder. I've got the same Tikka in .30-06 and also struggled a bit with recoil. I fashioned a cheek riser out of 1/2 inch pipe insulation and some electrical tape (in hindsight, not the right kind of tape for this) and the felt recoil of the rifle became much more manageable, just because my cheekbone was no longer being pounded with each shot.

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite 7-08,is on it's 5th barrel.

Too bad Tikka builds them on a long action and botches twist rate............

What about putting a 6 creed barrel on it? Isn’t that just a barrel and bolt stop for a tikka 30/06? Do that this year and a stock at some point later… soft shooting rifle and a versatile cartridge

Here are some great threads to help build your confidence is going to a "smaller" caliber that will allow you to shoot more and enjoy it.
^^^This

Sell the '06 and pick one of those three calibers for your new tikka.

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
I have a T3x stainless in 30-06 that kicks like a mule even with a limbsaver pad on it so I end up not wanting to shoot it. I want to either tame the recoil or move down in caliber so I can actually enjoy shooting it. My use case is this is my main hunting rifle but also want to put in a fair amount of range time with it.

I feel like my options are:

a) install a brake

b) change out the factory stock

c) move down in caliber to 308 or 6.5CM. I just got into hunting and am going for deer and bear. Maybe elk & moose in the future.

What would everyone recommend? For those that changed the stock, did it improve the felt recoil?
Do you hand load?

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
J&A Outdoors has a blued factory Tikka 7mm-08 barrel 20inch for $125. One left so hurry up,

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
The “short action” argument never resonated with me. The difference in overall length is insignificant.

Plus, by removing the short action bolt stop in favor of a long action bolt stop and using 30-06 magazines I can reach the lands with any bullet and still feed.

P

Unfortunately,the reality of twist rate,precludes said delusions.

Thus the hilarity of Tikka in general and 7-08 in particular.

The HILARITY is multiplied,due the receiver length............

atmat

WKR
Unfortunately,the reality of twist rate,precludes said delusions.

Thus the hilarity of Tikka in general and 7-08 in particular.

The HILARITY is multiplied,due the receiver length............
Genuine question for you: with a proper twist rate — such as the newer 1:8 .223s and .243s — do you still feel action length is a reason to stay away from Tikkas?