Optics opinions

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking for opinions on improving my optics and making it a bit more versatile. I currently use Zeiss conquests 10x42 as my chest binos and 15x56 SLC’s off a tripod with no spotting scope. My tripod is a Surui with a VA-5 head. I really like the big SLC’s for spotting deer around 1-1.5 miles but I can’t make out bucks from does. I mostly hunt mountain mule deer, with elk, pronghorn, and some coues hunts mixed in depending on draw. I either hunt from a base camp/truck or backpack in around 5- 6 miles. Here are my thoughts:

Option A:
- keep 15’s and add a small Kowa 550 spotter

Option B:
- sell the 15’s for a Swarovski 65 or Kowa 77

Open to other options/suggestions

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’d eliminate any option that says get rid of the 15s.

I’d add a spotter for sure and the little Kowa gets lots of love. There have been some Zeiss Diascopes in the classified lately; I’d take one of those anytime. Superb spotter even if it is 20+ years old. They are not all that old.

Check out the new Swarovski STC/ATC spotting scope. Not much more than the kowa 55.

I use Zeiss Victory 10x56 rangefinder binos and I can tell whether I am seeing a buck or Doe at a mile.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
To add to that, I got rid of my 65mm ATX objective to get the ATC. It is a sweet little unit. BUT, more germane to the discussion; that desert sheep in my avatar, I was able to positively identity as the ram I had lost track of for 3 days with just my 12x NL Pures.

OP
kevin11mee

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Option B.

I think 15x are overrated. At 2-3 miles they just don't work.
They are fantastic between say 700yards to 1mile but after that, I think a spotter is needed unless looking at elk or maybe with good light.

Fatcamp

WKR
They are fantastic between say 700yards to 1mile but after that, I think a spotter is needed unless looking at elk or maybe with good light.

That's what I found. They are cool to look through, but for the weight they just aren't it for me

OP
kevin11mee

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
That's what I found. They are cool to look through, but for the weight they just aren't it for me
You might be right. A spotter might be more versatile. Debating that now. What are you carrying? Assuming binos and spotter?

Fatcamp

WKR
You might be right. A spotter might be more versatile. Debating that now. What are you carrying? Assuming binos and spotter?

10x Meostar and a Vortex Razor 65mm spotter. Working on improving the spotter by next Fall, but am totally sold. Been moving through optics for a few years but this Fall I learned some lessons about spotting scope usefulness. I hunt very big country, being able to see antlers at 2-3 miles really makes a difference.

Only go the spotting scope route if you know that you can glass from dawn to dusk using a single eye. Most folks cannot which is one reason why the BTX is popular.

Get your 15s checked by the manufacturer to ensure that they are up to par. Pair them with a quality spotting scope, with sufficient magnification and clarity to meet your requirements, for confirmations and clarifications.

Edit: If the deer you are talking about is Coues in traditional Coues country, then the Kowa 554 will leave you wanting more. The same will be true with any 6x, 7x, 8x, 9x objective but to less of an extent. It is a tall order to expect an optic to distinguish a 1" nub through maybe 14" (pedicle to top of tallest tine) at multi-mile distances.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
Only go the spotting scope route if you know that you can glass from dawn to dusk using a single eye. Most folks cannot which is one reason why the BTX is popular.

Get your 15s checked by the manufacturer to ensure that they are up to par. Pair them with a quality spotting scope, with sufficient magnification and clarity to meet your requirements, for confirmations and clarifications.

Edit: If the deer you are talking about is Coues in traditional Coues country, then the Kowa 554 will leave you wanting more. The same will be true with any 6x, 7x, 8x, 9x objective but to less of an extent. It is a tall order to expect an optic to distinguish a 1" nub through maybe 14" (pedicle to top of tallest tine) at multi-mile distances.

I don't know that I need to be able to glass with one eye all day, but your comment does bring up a valid point. Everyone's eyes are different and it does take some experimenting to find what works.

If I look through a spotting scope with my left eye for a minute it jacks up my vision for a while. I can't properly look through binoculars and my right eye is unable to focus in the spotting scope. If I look with my right eye, and only my right eye, there isn't a problem. I asked my optometrist about it and he had no idea. Just how it is.

I can spot deer way out there with my binoculars, what I need my spotting scope for is to see if they have antlers, and if I think I should try to get closer. I really liked my 15x Meostar, but they just didn't allow me to do that the way a spotting scope does.

And I'm not gonna carry three optics. LOL 😆

I’m looking for opinions on improving my optics and making it a bit more versatile. I currently use Zeiss conquests 10x42 as my chest binos and 15x56 SLC’s off a tripod with no spotting scope. My tripod is a Surui with a VA-5 head. I really like the big SLC’s for spotting deer around 1-1.5 miles but I can’t make out bucks from does. I mostly hunt mountain mule deer, with elk, pronghorn, and some coues hunts mixed in depending on draw. I either hunt from a base camp/truck or backpack in around 5- 6 miles. Here are my thoughts:

Option A:
- keep 15’s and add a small Kowa 550 spotter

Option B:
- sell the 15’s for a Swarovski 65 or Kowa 77

Open to other options/suggestions
Keep the 15s and try the Kowa, the two I have looked through were very nice.

OP
kevin11mee

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
10x Meostar and a Vortex Razor 65mm spotter. Working on improving the spotter by next Fall, but am totally sold. Been moving through optics for a few years but this Fall I learned some lessons about spotting scope usefulness. I hunt very big country, being able to see antlers at 2-3 miles really makes a difference.
How do you like the Razor?