Optics for guided elk rifle hunt?

Jkuhn22

FNG
As long as point creep does not explode this year, I should draw a 1st rifle tag for unit 66 in Colorado. I will be going guided and was curious on recommendations on what optics to pack with me? I have archery hunted in the past and only took binos which worked perfectly fine. With a rifle hunt, will we be glassing a lot more and would a tripod or spotting scope be worth the extra weight?

You can probably pick up a variety of dirt-cheap, used Vortex optics and accessories on this forum. Hundreds of posts. Best of luck with your planning, TheGrayRider.

Ucsdryder

WKR
As long as point creep does not explode this year, I should draw a 1st rifle tag for unit 66 in Colorado. I will be going guided and was curious on recommendations on what optics to pack with me? I have archery hunted in the past and only took binos which worked perfectly fine. With a rifle hunt, will we be glassing a lot more and would a tripod or spotting scope be worth the extra weight?
Not even a little bit. Take a pair of 10x42 and go hunt. 66 isn’t a trophy unit and I’m assuming you’re not counting inches.

Marble

WKR
After you get drawn, ask the guide. They may have spotting gear for you. They also would know if that was something may use on your trip.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I would ask the outfitter if you might need a spotter. Could be your hunting in think pines all day and would never need one. Could be you’ll be glassing into clear cuts or aspen groves and you might enjoy having one.

I would just take a good pair of 10x42s and rangefinder. Any guide worth their money should be carrying a decent spotter/tripod setup on their clients' hunt. Let the guide haul the big optics around not you. You're the trigger man let the guide earn his money. PS, I would confirm with the outfitter/guide about the spotter (I'd be a little leary if they tell you no spotter needed). Enjoy your hunt and shoot a big one.

Brooks

WKR
Rifle hunting, I would take good binos and a tripod. Every year I see guys with a little pair of binos and they do ok but if the guide has good glass sitting on a tripod and he’s seeing elk at a distance and you can’t you’re going to want to look through his. That gets old after a while.
I’ve sat next to guys with good glass and a tripod and we can talk about what we’re seeing and I’ve sat next to guys that we’re hand holding and asking me what I’m seeing. Seems guys enjoy it more with good glass on a light weight tripod. You can always use the tripod as a walking stick.
Another thing that seems to make guys happy after humping the mountains all day is a pack you can strap your rifle to instead of hanging on to it and swapping it from should to shoulder all day.

THallock

FNG
If your hiking alot go with just good binos. Thats all i use, but Im not looking for a giant, just a any bull. I guess if you looking for a good one the scope is handy.