Opinions on Tow Vehicle

JoMa

Lil-Rokslider
I currently drive a 2003 Ford F250 with the V10 gas motor. It gets driven about 5,000 miles or less per year. I would guess that we are towing a trailer approximately 80% of those miles, including a horse trailer, camping trailer, snowmobile trailer, etc. Weights of the trailers range between 5,000 to 10,000 lbs, so not super heavy and something that my current truck can handle. I average around 7-8 mpg when towing, and 10-11 mpg when empty…which sucks.

I’ve been contemplating upgrading to a newer (not new) diesel truck given that we use it primarily for towing. Granted the trailer weights aren’t super heavy, but a diesel would still tow them much better. I’m also hopeful that I could get slightly better mileage, but maybe that isn’t realistic?

I’m aware of the advantages/disadvantages of gas versus diesel trucks, so I’m not looking to debate that. Just wanted some opinions on what you would do in my situation. Thanks.

Driving that few miles, I would stick with that v10 truck.

I own both, and work on both gas and diesel every day. Any more the only advantages to diesel are better power, and better resale value.

My 2018 Superduty diesel gets over 18 mpg when not towing. Im sure it would get much better than your gasser when towing. Im not saying it would be worth the investment for you but there are certainly advantages. The ones stated above and much better fuel mileage. The power is also amazing especially when you are in the mountains.

mpg ends up in a wash....savings just go into repair bills/maintenance.

One thing to think about, is that a low miles gasser resale value is only slightly higher than one with average miles.
A low mile diesel can bring stupid money if you pick the right truck.

Brendan

WKR
You definitely don't *need* a diesel, and won't come out ahead on costs with those miles. Depends if you *want* a diesel...

I might look at a new-er F150. Not driving it anymore, but mine would tow 11.5K lbs and got 20 mpg on the highway if I was nice to it, integrated brake controller, great truck. Got 10-11 towing a big dual axle boat & trailer across country.

ODB

WKR
Chevy with a Duramax and Allison - period. This isn't a Chevy vs. Ford thing - it's a Duramax and Allison are hella reliable. The Duramax is actually designed by Isuzu anyway. The fam biz had 5 of them... all they did was haul trailers 5,000 to 8,000 lb. No issues other than one fuel filter gasket failure over 8 years.

5000 miles at 10mpg is 500 gallons a year at $3.49 is $1740 year. If you double your mileage you will save $1740 yr.
Diesel payments $6000 yr your in the whole $4260
And you haven't even got to the double to triple maintenance cost.

sodak

Lil-Rokslider
Diesels need to run and work (or be worked). With that few miles I would stick with your V10. Put the savings into hunting trips.

1/2 ton truck towing semi consistently 5-11k is bad bad.

Just because the engine can do it doesn’t mean it’s not going to burn out the tranny etc, not even counting the safety side of a heavier truck.

The v10 might be the most built proof engine Ford ever made. That’s a hard choice but spending another 10k plus to by a diesel is a lot of gasoline.

OP
J

JoMa

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that any money saved by mileage would likely be eaten up in additional maintenance costs. I would pay cash for the truck and can afford potential maintenance costs. So, my head is telling me that I don't really "need" the diesel, but my heart is saying it "wants" one for the additional power and fun factor. First world problems...:)

rayporter

WKR
I think you are border line. you don't need a big ol diesel but with 10,000 lb behind you in the mountains you wont be sorry. the lighter 5000 don't need the v 10 either.
my old 07 dodge cummins gets 18 mpg round trip to Colorado pulling 9000lb
my 2017 would prolly get 11 if on the same trip.

I was in the same boat two years ago. I had a 3/4 ton chevy with the 6.0. I mainly pull a camper, hunt and fish with the pickup. Put about 5-6k a year on it. I found a good deal on an 05 Duramax and went for it. If you do the maintenance yourself its really not that much more. Sure you have a fuel filter ($40) and more oil (go to Costco when its on sale) but its negligible. The difference when towing is night and day. The diesel just handles the weight better. My camper is only 6-7k so the gas pulled it ok, but the diesel is much easier. My 6.0 got 11-12 DD and 8-9 towing. The diesel gets 16-17 DD and 12-13 towing. The other factor for me was going from an extended cab to a crew.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
If you can afford it and aren't looking at the math, the power is nice. Driving too few miles would be my concern which is one reason I'm sticking with a gas F-250 for now.

If you go diesel, I would avoid certain models, particularly the Ford Powerstroke 6.0 and 6.4 Diesels.

WKR
We are in the same boat, I have an 03 V10 with 113k on it that I use only for hunting and have tossed around the idea of purchasing a newer diesel truck just for the better mpg and power. I found a sweet deal on a diesel 4x4 with 32k miles for 24k but I ended up passing on it. I haven’t seen good mpg with diesel anyway, I have driven for work the 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 fords (no pattern there). The best I have seen is 16 mpg unloaded with the 6.7. Maybe it’s the way I drive but its not going to change between a work and personal truck. The diesel will have much more power and more problems in my opinion. I do all the maintenance myself and can fix most everything in that ole truck, with a new diesel I don’t even like looking under that hood. Haha. I put a 45 gallon tank in the bed to help pass by every gas station I see which was my biggest complaint when towing. Plus, it helps when my wife complains about the money I spend on hunting and I point out that I have an old truck and she has a sweet eco boost expedition. I budget my truck payment into a hunting fund. I think it depends on if you want the power when towing, hands down the diesels will smoke the V10.

rayporter

WKR
twice my old 07 has got 21 mpg in the flat country round trip to florida. empty

with the DEF I don't think any can do that now-even if it was all down hill.in

in a dodge stay away from 2014 - my bud put a chip in his and it did not help and the steering has a serious problem that year. the rear end went bad, next and then the def went bad and he spent a bunch to have that removed. it has spent a lot of shop time.

an edit
I don't drive mine with out a trailer behind it. I keep a clunker to drive to town -just to keep miles off the dually. I feel it is cost effective to wear out a clunker than my hauler.

Last edited:

BadDogPSD

WKR
My 2013 F350 diesel gets 17-18 hwy, 13-14 mixed, 11-12 towing our Polaris Ranger, and 9 mpg towing our 12k toyhauler.
I've owned a couple of Ford 7.3's, a 6.0, a couple of 5.4's, and the big V10.
The diesels really shine towing, especially in the mountains, but the mileage difference isn't what it used to be with all the new smog crap the Feds mandate now.

Wrench

WKR
Are you handy? I have a 12v cummins and a 7.3 powerstroke. I sold my duramax last year.

The older diesel engines will cost you 3-4 gallons of oil per change and a $30-40 fuel filter every 25ish k miles (or if you get bad fuel). Ford had a run of engines to stay away from 6.0 and 6.4. Chevy drives the best and wins for interior comfort. It is lacking on ground clearance and suspension for towing.

The ford and dodge I have both have built auto transmissions and are a BLAST to drive. They both tow my 10k trailer like a boss, and I live in the mountains. They all start well in the cold.
The cummins does the best on fuel, the duramax did the worst. I sold the duramax at 120k miles.
The powerstroke has 260k and runs better than day one. I've done injectors, cups, turbo upgrade and transmission. The cost for this was work was under 5 grand and it will easily run away from my duramax with a 65hp tune. Ford suspension is great for towing and the brakes/steering are at home towing as well.

My 12v has a big single and a lot of motor mods. It's detuned now to about 450 hp and tows well there. It's been in the upper 500's and was simply dangerous to drive when it lit. Dodge brakes are the worst of the 3, but adequate. Steering was atrocious before I spent 30 minutes adjusting the box's preload and over center....now it's TIGHT. The suspension isn't ford tough, but it's way more solid than my chevy. I really like the fact that there is nothing electric that's required to keep this truck running....if it starts, and the fuel shutoff is locked open.....it'll run till it's out of fuel. Btw it's at 306k and starts at 20* without letting the grid heater fire and it lights instantly.

I found that they all do something better than others. I've towed a travel trailer from Washington to Alaska and back with a gas ford and haven't owned one since.

None of my diesel trucks have seen single digit mileage ever. My d max average was 16, my ford excursion is 17-18 and my cummins is 20. The ford and dodge are on 35" tires, the duramax on stock in the summer and 235/85 in the winter.

All of them will be more fun to drive, lower your fuel stops (my ford has a 44 gal tank!) And they all pull without revving the crap out of the engine.

Stock diesel engines are anemic and leave a lot on the table.....but still crush the gassers.

With that said, if you don't do your own wrenching, they will certainly cost a lot more to work on, shops think they're some kind of unicorns.

OP
J

JoMa

Lil-Rokslider
Are you handy? I have a 12v cummins and a 7.3 powerstroke. I sold my duramax last year.

The older diesel engines will cost you 3-4 gallons of oil per change and a $30-40 fuel filter every 25ish k miles (or if you get bad fuel). Ford had a run of engines to stay away from 6.0 and 6.4. Chevy drives the best and wins for interior comfort. It is lacking on ground clearance and suspension for towing.

The ford and dodge I have both have built auto transmissions and are a BLAST to drive. They both tow my 10k trailer like a boss, and I live in the mountains. They all start well in the cold.
The cummins does the best on fuel, the duramax did the worst. I sold the duramax at 120k miles.
The powerstroke has 260k and runs better than day one. I've done injectors, cups, turbo upgrade and transmission. The cost for this was work was under 5 grand and it will easily run away from my duramax with a 65hp tune. Ford suspension is great for towing and the brakes/steering are at home towing as well.

My 12v has a big single and a lot of motor mods. It's detuned now to about 450 hp and tows well there. It's been in the upper 500's and was simply dangerous to drive when it lit. Dodge brakes are the worst of the 3, but adequate. Steering was atrocious before I spent 30 minutes adjusting the box's preload and over center....now it's TIGHT. The suspension isn't ford tough, but it's way more solid than my chevy. I really like the fact that there is nothing electric that's required to keep this truck running....if it starts, and the fuel shutoff is locked open.....it'll run till it's out of fuel. Btw it's at 306k and starts at 20* without letting the grid heater fire and it lights instantly.

I found that they all do something better than others. I've towed a travel trailer from Washington to Alaska and back with a gas ford and haven't owned one since.

None of my diesel trucks have seen single digit mileage ever. My d max average was 16, my ford excursion is 17-18 and my cummins is 20. The ford and dodge are on 35" tires, the duramax on stock in the summer and 235/85 in the winter.

All of them will be more fun to drive, lower your fuel stops (my ford has a 44 gal tank!) And they all pull without revving the crap out of the engine.

Stock diesel engines are anemic and leave a lot on the table.....but still crush the gassers.

With that said, if you don't do your own wrenching, they will certainly cost a lot more to work on, shops think they're some kind of unicorns.
I don't mind performing some smaller routine maintenance/repair jobs, but I am by no means a mechanical expert. So you make a good point that I would be at the mercy of repair shops for the bigger repair items...which means more money out of my pocket.

I would definitely stay away from the Ford 6.0 and 6.4's. I'm not a big fan of the Dodge's, so I would lean towards a Ford 6.7 or a Duramax.