Opinions on the OSPREY ARGON 85

Have been looking at options for a new pack. Sent my Kuiu pack back last year after the constant loud Squeking noise from the hip belt. Im in the market for a new pack. I would like to buy a T2 but its pushing the budget... Has anybody ever used or looked at the Osprey Argon 85, it seems to have a healthy stout frame and felt very comfortable with 60lbs loaded in it. Got a 20% off coupon and my dividens from last year to help with the purchase. Wish I could look at a T2 locally.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It has an issue with noise as well. I did a review on it a year ago and when dust gets between the frame and material it squeaks like crazy.

Great pack, but you can get better for that money...for hunting anyway.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I agree with Aron, a little noisy from the one I used for a short time. I think the REI XT 85 beats it hands down as a hauler and its lighter and cheaper.

stephen b

WKR
+++ ^^^^ what Aron and Luke said concerning the REI 85 XT. To me it is a much better bag than the Argon. But then again that is just my opinion. I thought it (the Argon) was not great compared to the 85 XT even in the store with about 70 lbs. in both.

Plus the 85 XT is $100 less- which saves you some coin for your budget now to put either in a fund for another pack down the road, or $100 towards something els cool now.

But I would go the REI (if they are by you) and load up both for yourself and see what you think- that way you will know.

Good luck

OP
Bearhunter
Once again great info guys!! I will definetly go this week and check out the 85XT and compare the two. I also definetly do not want to go down the road of another noisy pack. I am trying to fiqure out a way to afford the T2 and will hopfully just go that route!!!!

krummholz

FNG
I bought the Argon 85, KUIU ICON 6000 and Gregory Palisade 80 last summer to test side by side.

I really wanted to like the Argon, but for me it didn't carry a simulated elk quarter(large 85 lb landscape block) very well. The pack design did not allow me to get the weight close enough to my back when it wasn't completely stuffed full, so it felt like it was pulling me backwards badly.

The KUIU seemed great, but didn't fit me very well.

I ended up keeping the Gregory Palisade 80, I thought it carried 90 lbs very well with the weight right against my back. It worked very well last season, carrying a few very heavy loads out of the high country without any pack related issues. My only complaints are the lack of external pockets for organization as a day pack and although the color is grey/black it has a bit of shine to it since it is not designed with hunting in mind.

I would head down to REI and load them up to test them a bit. I will warn you though, they were quite confused why I wanted to put so much weight in them. :) Luckily they were fascinated with the idea of carrying heavy loads of meat out of the backcountry and helped me load them up with weight.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
i like the Gregory Denali Pro over the Argon hands down. i've hiked with the REI pack, haven't put much weight in it when I did but it handled 60lbs pretty well. The Gregory pack is heavier, but it's a great pack in my book.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bearhunter the review is on Bowsite...search "pack review" I think the REI was in part 2, but it has been awhile. Aron might be able to post a link. I agree totally with Luke and Aron on their advice. I also felt the REI seemed stouter and carried heavier weight better.

I own an Osprey Crescent 90, which is basically an earlier version of the Argon. I have packed out several elk with it and it handled the load reasonably well. It is a little on the noisy side though, so there are better choices out there if you actually want to hunt in it. I always used it to pack camp in and then used a small day pack from there.

I'm actually trying to sell the pack since I don't use it much anymore, so shoot me a pm if you are interested.

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
Have been looking at options for a new pack. Sent my Kuiu pack back last year after the constant loud Squeking noise from the hip belt. Im in the market for a new pack. I would like to buy a T2 but its pushing the budget... Has anybody ever used or looked at the Osprey Argon 85, it seems to have a healthy stout frame and felt very comfortable with 60lbs loaded in it. Got a 20% off coupon and my dividens from last year to help with the purchase. Wish I could look at a T2 locally.

Osprey drew a blank with the POS Argon. If ya want all your gear lumped up in the bottom of the pack like santa hauling coal have at it. The Argon isn't a move in the right direction for Osprey. IMO the older Cresent series(110 etc.) were pretty darn good. Lot better packs out there including the Bora series from Arcteryx.