Open sights

Ucsdryder

WKR
Do you prefer your front post on a dovetail style sight to cover you bullseye or rest at the bottom of the bullseye?

My natural POA is to cover the bullseye but the fiber optic covers basically the whole elk at 100 yards!

Choupique

WKR
I like to hold the sight under what I'm trying to hit so I can actually see it.

Legend

WKR
Do you prefer your front post on a dovetail style sight to cover you bullseye or rest at the bottom of the bullseye?

My natural POA is to cover the bullseye but the fiber optic covers basically the whole elk at 100 yards!
I changed my sight to a lee shaver. The wire is very thin and let's you aim a lot better IMO

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My goodness how thick is your fiber optic? I have a T/C and a CVA and neither is as thick as you describe. A 6 o'clock hold will work just fine though if you sight it in for that. But since your fiber optic is the size of an elk, you'll definitely need to make sure it's sighted in for that.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
My goodness how thick is your fiber optic? I have a T/C and a CVA and neither is as thick as you describe. A 6 o'clock hold will work just fine though if you sight it in for that. But since your fiber optic is the size of an elk, you'll definitely need to make sure it's sighted in for that.
Probably should have said “Elk vitals”. Those fiber optic front posts are huge though. I see the advantage in low light but there’s a trade off.

Probably should have said “Elk vitals”. Those fiber optic front posts are huge though. I see the advantage in low light but there’s a trade off.
There are other options with a much finer front fiber optic…

IMG_7372.png

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried numerous combinations and found that a rear peep with a green front fiber works best for me. I use the six-o'clock hold for reasons previously stated... you can see your target. Most of my hunting is with flintlocks for deer or small-bore percussion for small game and 50 to 75 is about max in the PA woods I hunt. I sight in for 50 and know my point of impact at 75.

I actually liked the Marble's Bullseye ramp sight for one of my flintlock rifles (dovetail mount). Paired with a green fiber, it's just about idiot proof. I've got 60 some sight related links saved, depending on your gun there are a lot of options from Skinner to Marbles to Williams and many others in between.

I think the 'hold under' method for elk out to 100, 150 would still be preferred using a post style front sight. If moving to cross hairs, then obviously 'on' the spot. Nothing beats practice and fussing over sights and gear all spring and up until July is part of the fun but by now, I'd be loosing my mind if I was not settled on a sighting system.

Last edited:

KyleR1985

WKR
I spent a lot of time and money setting up an open sight muzzy.

I learned that about the only advantage over my compound bow is that I don’t have to draw it with an elk in range.

That’s probably a product of 50k shots through a bow, and 200 shots through the muzzy.

past 50-60 yards, the conditions need to be pretty optimal for me to actually hit where I’m aiming with that gun. And I got it to 3” groups reliably at 100 yards off the bench.

Say all this to say - get it sighted in for 50 yards. Develop a load that groups well past that so you can trust it. Then maybe relax on trying to actually shoot one past 50 - you missing at 100 yards won’t be because of size of the sight versus the animal.

KyleR1985

WKR
I held under point of aim with the white stripe XS front sight.

I typically tried to use the elks leg as reference point- covering up the front leg with the post and stopping at the elbow gave good results at range.

Groups opened up left/right trying to cover “bullseye” without a windage reference like a leg.

My elevation stayed pretty consistent either way.

I never killed an elk. Killed two nice bucks with it inside of 40 yards.

Just reading that thread made me annoyed with going through that process all over again!